1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Instrument cluster swirls/scratches - can they be removed?

Tatey35 Apr 6, 2020

1. Tatey35

Tatey35 2011 A3 2.0 TDI Black Edition

When in direct sunlight my instrument cluster looks awful because of all the scratches/swirls. The sunlight only hits the bottom but it has really started to annoy me.

Looking online I found various people saying Meguiars plastX helps remove the swirls. Had some lying about so tried applying some by hand but got nowhere. Looks exactly the same as it did before. I wasn’t pushing to hard as I read that they are very soft plastic.

I also found some posts around the web saying that the scratches are actually inside the plastic/Perspex material and you can’t remove them.

Anybody had experience with this?
    Do I just need to keep trying with the polish?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. tcardio

tcardio Registered User

4. Tatey35

Thanks found the posts in the tread that didn’t come up in my search. Unfortunately that related to the MMI but didn’t conclude wether it will help the cluster and would’ve thought they would be slightly different materials?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. e9_mustii

e9_mustii Registered User

I just opened mine up today to mod and nah there glued on you better off removeing it fond a second hand one on ebay woth no scratches and replacing the internals into the new body so your mileage stay om record [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

6. paddy

paddy Registered User

Always bugs me they put S3 on the rev counter and not the speedo...

7. findalex

findalex Registered User

There are many plastic polishes you can purchase. Major wax brands like Meguiar's probaly make a very good one.

8. tcardio

tcardio Registered User

LOL did you see post 2559? I polished my cluster and it turned out amazing. all scratches gone and took 30 minutes

9. Tatey35

Thanks didn’t come up in the search maybe cause it was on mobile. Yours looks good maybe I just need a few more goes. Was trying to avoid getting it out, but might have too.

10. tcardio

tcardio Registered User

you need a DA polisher

11. e9_mustii

e9_mustii Registered User

Would be repetative and tacky if on both

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk