Installing a 12v socket into glovebox - possible?

nicksa3

Reaction score
Hi,

I hate having to charge phones etc, using the 12v socket in the centre console - can't stand wires trailing everywhere. I was wondering if it possible to fit a socket into the glovebox? My main concern is whether there is enough space behind it?
Also, what would the best method of getting power to the glovebox be? At the moment, my plan is to piggyback off the existing socket and try and feed the wires up. Or would it be easier to take a new feed from the fusebox and run the cables behind the dash?
Thanks.

There was an option available to have the 12v socket installed in the boot of the car. You could get the part number for this, piggy back it off the existing, cut a hole in the glove box and secure it - job done!

A3-TDI-100.jpg

I like the idea of this. sorry cannot really help you but I can say that most would advise to get the power from the fuse box.
In my MK4 Golf there was a 12v socket in the boot, and im pretty sure it had its power running separately from the one inside the car... does anyone know if our A3's that only have one 12v socket in the car might have another unused fuse that can be used for this?

Also as for the space behind the glove box... there isnt loads of space but if you install it in the side of the glove box like the ipod adapters then you might get away with it, just leave enough cable for the glove box to come out without pulling on the power cable.

I'll look into doing this when i get some time, hopefully we can compare notes then.

Thanks. I'm not too worried about getting the socket -just ordered a generic one off ebay. It's whether there is the space behind the glovebox. I'm being lazy basically; I'm hoping someone will know the answer, saving me the job of finding out myself!

12v?
Bahh, get some 240V in there. :)
46979_423962201570_677011570_5303729_52747_n.jpg

Take the live feed from the current lighter or from the fuse box or from the battery. Its up to you, just make sure its fused and you should be fine.
When you buy a socket, get one with a flip down cover if your going for the glove. Don't want a set of keys or something dropping in and causing issues.

Yeah easy enough, as someone said just snag it on somewhere or take clean feed from the fuse box. I'm opting for 2 behind the dash and having phone charger coming out of one and then roadangel cable on the other

Hmmm... 240v in the boot sounds good! and there i was thinking of buying a laptop charger for the car :p

How would you set up a 240v in the car then? im guessing a power converter of some sort (as you can tell im not the greatest at electrics)

very interested in this!

Yep, just need an in car inverter clean feed from fuse box is ideal

Yeah easy enough, as someone said just snag it on somewhere or take clean feed from the fuse box. I'm opting for 2 behind the dash and having phone charger coming out of one and then roadangel cable on the other
I'm thinking of doing the same thing but fitting USB ports.
that way any thing can be charged up.
I'm having issues finding a nice mountable USB A socket.

Hmmm... 240v in the boot sounds good! and there i was thinking of buying a laptop charger for the car :p

How would you set up a 240v in the car then? im guessing a power converter of some sort (as you can tell im not the greatest at electrics)

very interested in this!

All that is is a 300W inverter pluged in to a 12v live. you can pick them up from any car shop.
300w is nice as it does not put a massive drain on the battery but you can't run much from it.
I can run a laptop charger and a dremal.

you need to check the Wattage of the item you're plugging in but also need to check out the start up wattage as well.

I'm having issues finding a nice mountable USB A socket.

All that is is a 300W inverter pluged in to a 12v live. you can pick them up from any car shop.
300w is nice as it does not put a massive drain on the battery but you can't run much from it.
I can run a laptop charger and a dremal.

you need to check the Wattage of the item you're plugging in but also need to check out the start up wattage as well.

Best of both worlds ;)
n31hh.jpg

On a serious not possibly something like this would be ideal for what you want:
Micro Auto USB Port In Car Universal Charger :: Buy USB Car Charger Here UK Stock

I'm having issues finding a nice mountable USB A socket. QUOTE]

The usb idea is another one I am considering. If you're after a socket try this:
Neutrik - Data Connectors - USB - NAUSB-W-B

I have found a few suppliers, I think you can get a cover for it as well. Maplins do the sockets, but not the covers. My problem is then finding a 5v source - but I think this should work nicely. I need at least 1A to charge my Galaxy Tab. Failing that, using an extension lead onto my existing charger, connected to a 12V socket, all hidden away somewhere. But that's getting messy...

Universal 3A DC Power Supply : InCar Power Adaptors : Maplin

Could get this and take the internals out and make it/fit it where you want it go and be.
Micro Auto USB Port In Car Universal Charger :: Buy USB Car Charger Here UK Stock

Ash, Not sure but i've seen them for sale from Auto factors.

Shane, Nice pic.
thats what I got at the moment but I got the same thinking as Nick with cables every where.

Nick, Thats cool. I'm looking for something a bit more subtle. Not sure why though, Its going in the glove box. lol
That Universal 3A DC power Supply is a bit messy. Bin it. :)

Also if anyone is thinking of fitting something for the kids at the back you could use the small area underneath the rear ashtray. I honestly have no idea why i have a little cubby hole under the rear ashtray... i mean you can't fit anything in there!

Audi do sell the socket... at £30!
Audi 12v Socket - Stoke Audi Parts

I've bitten the bullet and ordered the kit.
I like the idea of putting a USB socket in the glove compartment best - everything runs off them these days after all. So I'm going to connect a new 12v socket, probably piggy backed onto the existing one. Then put in my Samsung Tab charger (produces enough current). From there I wil run a USB cable to behind the glove box where I will fit a USB socket:
Neutrik - Data Connectors - USB - NAUSB-W
with a cover:
Neutrik - Audio - XLR Chassis Connector Accessories - SCDX

That's the hardware taken care of. Now I just need to work out where to place the socket/charger combination (I'm hoping that there's room tucked underneath the centre console?), then running the usb cable without disturbing too much trim.

Also if anyone is thinking of fitting something for the kids at the back you could use the small area underneath the rear ashtray. I honestly have no idea why i have a little cubby hole under the rear ashtray... i mean you can't fit anything in there!

Audi do sell the socket... at £30!
Audi 12v Socket - Stoke Audi Parts

Just spoke to docklands audi who say that the £30 socket is the rectangle one pictured in boydie's earlier post:

A3-TDI-100.jpg

They also do a smaller round socket with spring flap for £12.04 inc VAT.

Had a look at the ebay ones and to be honest they all look cheap with a rubber flap. I Like the look of the OEM ones even if it is going to be hidden.

£5 something for the actual socket and then another £6 for the spring flap! even the Parts guys was like WOW what a jump in price for a damn socket! lol

£5 something for the actual socket and then another £6 for the spring flap! even the Parts guys was like WOW what a jump in price for a damn socket! lol
Do you know what the part numbers are for these or what car they are fitted to. I've just been to my local dealer and they couldn't help. Would it be say a 2010 A3 centre console one from the non smoking pack?

Dave.

no the sockets are the ones used in the boot of our cars... there are 2 types/sizes depending if you have a 3 or 5 door A3.
I think the 5 door version is the smaller one.

I'll see if i can get the part number from you later on when i have my laptop.