Inoperable Windows - '90 100 quattro

enigmagic

Reaction score
Right, so the electric windows in my '90 100 quattro have not been functioning for some time, I had assumed a fuse had blown and sort of procrastinated on replacing it since they were all up and I really had no reason to want them down. So yesterday I go to a restaurant and the valet somehow, and for some reason, made my driver's side window go down, and I can't seem to make it go back up, or find the fuse (if that is even the problem) to replace. I'd like to know how to, at best, fix the electrical problem that prevents my windows from electrically raising, or, barring that, some method of extracting my window from the door so I don't have to be cold and get rained on. Thanks.

There is a large "Thermotime" fuse for these, usually 30amp, and silver in colour, located just outside the fuse box, failing that the windows are a doddle to recon, believe me, I once reconned a guys windows in 15mins, Yes! 15mins, from removing the trim panel to reinstalling and testing. The motors generally at that age could be detached, once opened, usually it was either the brushes had worn, commutator was dirty, or water had got in and rusted the bearing, once all replaced or cleaned all returned to normal, in fact I've got one to do on my Passat, as it's running slow. Piece of cake my friend, nuttin else for it but to remove the trim. Sawwwy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Regards
Dave M