Inlet Valve clean or decoke, anyone had this done, S3

dandav1985

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hello Lads and lass's

Has anyone had their 2.0 TFSI/S3 inlet valves De-coked, I have my car booked in at Durham re-maps tomorrow for their BG clean. Maybe I should of asked earlier. Is it worth doing as my car now has 50000 miles on the clock and is starting to idle a little rough and I was hoping this would sort the issue.

Cheers Dan

Funny you mention this. I paid £99 for the Audi Decontamination Treatment last week, at 19500 miles. I know these engines coke/gum up badly, it's not driven often but when it is it's either a short commute or a hard pleasure blast, and I figured it was worth it also bearing in mind I'm considering trading in. Something else to add to the book!
Car feels smoother, more eager and generally runs better since that and a service. Worth a punt.

Reactions: dandav1985
Cheers for the reply,

So you did notice some difference, I was going to get the inlet cleaned with walnut blast but the closest garage that could do this was awesome GTI around 200mile away .

I'll see how it goes tomorrow and report back. If I have rough idling still after the decoke think i'll try the R8 Red coil packs.

Cheers Dan

Have a read through my build thread if you have time.

There's a few pictures before and after walnut blasting the inlet side and the final cure for the problem.

Without doubt walnut blasting is the best but if can't find someone near enough the alternatives will do.

Ive been following you're thread for months, great progress.

Cheers for the reply hopefully the BG clean will work if not think i'll have to make the effort and drive to awesome GTI for the walnut blasting.

Cheers for the advice

Dan

Reactions: S3Alex
I've actually tried to find someone near me who does this near the west Midlands area. No one even knows what walnut blasting or decoking is :s

If you are handy with a spanner you can clean the inlet valves yourself with a Dremel and a few brushes, just need to close each valve by turning the crank manually when you attack each one. I did this end of last summer, they look good as new, not sure for how long though.

Hi Dan
I was going to get BG service done myself. But didn't get it done, instead i just got inlet decoked. Car does feel better and also seems to respond a little better.

Funny you mention this. I paid £99 for the Audi Decontamination Treatment last week, at 19500 miles. I know these engines coke/gum up badly, it's not driven often but when it is it's either a short commute or a hard pleasure blast, and I figured it was worth it also bearing in mind I'm considering trading in. Something else to add to the book!
Car feels smoother, more eager and generally runs better since that and a service. Worth a punt.
Did Audi say what they did or use for the Decontamination Treatment? Thanks in advance.

Hello

Well Though Id give it ago, and to be honest the car does feel abit more responsive and smoother, I'm planning on fitting the RS4 fuel valve next week, So im going to take the inlet manifold off for ease anyway, i'll put some photos on to see what the inlet valves look like.

Also Ive purchased the R8 red Coil packs today from TPS. So i'm going to fit them tomorrow.

Cheers Dan

Hello

Well Though Id give it ago, and to be honest the car does feel abit more responsive and smoother, I'm planning on fitting the RS4 fuel valve next week, So im going to take the inlet manifold off for ease anyway, i'll put some photos on to see what the inlet valves look like.

Also Ive purchased the R8 red Coil packs today from TPS. So i'm going to fit them tomorrow.

Cheers Dan

How much did the red coil packs cost you mate?
Let me know how they feel compared to original as I am considering them myself :icon thumright:

Paid £100 for the set of 4 mate, and will let you know tomorrow. I can give you the part numbers tomorrow to if needed.

Cheers Dan

Reactions: S3_Sanni
Not wishing to pour cold water on red coilpacks but if stock packs work on mine ......

By all means if you need new ones and the price is right.

Didn't really need them to be honest, just thought they'd be better as people have said they give a stronger spark and cures rough idling issues, Plus at £25 each thought they we're a Bargain. lol.

Cheers Dan

Reactions: S3Alex
Didn't really need them to be honest, just thought they'd be better as people have said they give a stronger spark and cures rough idling issues, Plus at £25 each thought they we're a Bargain. lol.

Cheers Dan

At the price definitely.

The most expensive ones you can buy are the Okada packs at around £600.
Very clever,huge energy density.

The bhp difference....very very small indeed at peak rpm.

Hello

Yes I have fitted the R8 coil packs it is idling much better imo and went for a to Cumbria over the weekend and got 3 30 miles out of a tank which is the best I've ever had out of it lol, maybe a combination of oil and filter change BG Clean and new coil packs. Oh and the cruise control set at 70mph.

Cheers Dan

Reactions: callmegoose and S3_Sanni