Facelift Inlays / Trim - Alu Ilumintated or CF...

What will you choose

• Total voters
@AudiNutta _ Thank you for blowing up the section of the brochure to help my aging eyes :)

I'm afraid brochures can be tricky little buggers as they can be mass produced for many markets and hence we might not get all that you see in them..... Did you notice of the four FL RS3's you've seen if they have the "illuminated kick plates"?

I'm sure it was an S3 saloon in the showroom we were in that my wife liked the projector lights (in the Audi rings version), to confirm from your earlier comment, you're saying that is a standard feature on the S3's?

a3e9692e-f16c-43e7-a82d-6aaf1a59e90b.jpg

No problem haha!

Yes they can but they are different. I know this because the European brochures have the Aluminium Inlays described as lit, the UK brochure doesn't state this. The RS3' I have seen, do have the illuminated kick plates.

Yes the lit kick plates and the Audi Beam is standard in the S3. A few S3's turned up without the Audi Beam, the dealers claimed for them from Audi and fitted them at a later date. It will be one of the first things I check, so they can be fitted. If I had not seen them in the TTRS I would have doubted their existence, but they were in the TTRS behind the RS3' I saw, which arrived a day or two before the RS3'.

A guy in work made the mistake of ticking the Audi Beam box for around £90 when he ordered his, got the same as standard!! I did warn him, but he didn't listen and mine has it along with thousands of others who never specced it, the brochure said it had it and when this was put forward to Audi for the cars without it.. they were fitted.

Reactions: dunes7
@AudiNutta - I called into Audi Birmingham today and was greeted by quite an Audi RS feast :)

A loaded RS3 Saloon, bare bones RS3 SB, TT RS, RS5 & RS6.

The two RS3's & the RS5 had simple puddle lights on the bottom of each door. The TT RS had "Audi Sport" as its puddle illumination, the RS6 & a S4 both had the "Audi rings" as their puddle lights...........

Admittedly both the RS3's did have the illuminated kick plates.

@AudiNutta - I called into Audi Birmingham today and was greeted by quite an Audi RS feast :)

The two RS3's & the RS5 had simple puddle lights on the bottom of each door. The TT RS had "Audi Sport" as its puddle illumination, the RS6 & a S4 both had the "Audi rings" as their puddle lights...........

Is that Audi in Shirley?

Nice, similar stock to Cardiff Audi! S3 x2, RS5, RS3 x2, TTRS and an R8 in Racing Blue Mica of all colours :p

I saw a TT RS with the Audi Sport puddles too. Any TT RS you see now has just come from the factory, hoping they will start to put those puddles in the RS3 like the brochure says. I'm not going back to standard ones when I have rings in the S3!

I really want illuminated inlays but can't afford to start adding every single feature to the car! and we don't know for a fact Alu Race is lit although my suspicion is that if it is in Europe it is here.

I really want illuminated inlays but can't afford to start adding every single feature to the car! and we don't know for a fact Alu Race is lit although my suspicion is that if it is in Europe it is here.

I'm leaving them out, I decided to go mental and add the wheels at the rip off £1095. I contacted Audi UK who's sales team were adamant that the RS3 will not get illuminated Inlays in any trim.

I'm leaving them out, I decided to go mental and add the wheels at the rip off £1095. I contacted Audi UK who's sales team were adamant that the RS3 will not get illuminated Inlays in any trim.

Talking of rip-offs...... The loaded RS3 saloon I saw yesterday had the carbon inserts at £850.00. As Ive said already, yes theres an extra little one compared to the 5 in the RS Q3, but overall they are smaller than the one in the RS Q3 yet Audi saw fit to increase the option price by 240%.

The saloon also had the optional Titanium wheels and for sure they were very nice.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Talking of rip-offs...... The loaded RS3 saloon I saw yesterday had the carbon inserts at £850.00. As Ive said already, yes theres an extra little one compared to the 5 in the RS Q3, but overall they are smaller than the one in the RS Q3 yet Audi saw fit to increase the option price by 240%.

The saloon also had the optional Titanium wheels and for sure they were very nice.

Yep they are a rip off, but you get the wider front tyres too which will improve handling and that's a big thing. It's only because Audi c***** up on the tax bands with the tyres.

So visited west london audi and they have two RS3 saloons with alu race inlays beautifully lighted up.

I really am annoyed my status changed to 20 before I could change them.

d9c82771b5c150c0efb4731dfb15d7a7.jpg
1347cb3eca785940ee63f7a77d8faf35.jpg

Spinstorm im sure you can buy the Audi sport door lights and they are a straightforward swap over by all accounts no doubt mate the trim lights could be retrofitted, but at what cost.

I’m not very happy Audi UK told me the Inlays weren’t lit, I’d have ****** specced them!!

Any idea what they cost to fit? I’d imagine expensive because of needing to replace all of them.

So great minds think alike @AudiNutta

I emailed my dealer to see if there was anyway to amend my order (although I doubt that) and then...

I went and got the part numbers (see attached list below) I didn’t check the cost of the rear trim as didn’t care about that (although if I ordered perhaps I’d do back as well).

After finding a parts guy who genuinely was open to some investigation he suggested that the trim contains the LED lights - all you need is the door trim and the LED module adaptor as the wiring appears to already be there.

Also for some reason on the Audi parts system its not called Alu Race - its called Aluminium- Carbon. The front door trims are £92 each and £11 for the LED module. I imagine the rear is the same price. And I also got the prices for the matching front dash trim. So each door is £113 for parts.

The parts guy seemed to think its an hour of labour per door max - just remove the trim and connect the module and its done. He said he was going to check with the guys in service to see. But it may be this is an experiement.

96cebfa8b8392abd81ed0a83e89ad67e.jpg
ee84610fc52fd94e8831b12f865e7b97.jpg
b06da833041b3e3980212acc8927f4d5.jpg

Last edited:
@festuc have a look at what I added above; but yes only front but I imagine its the same cost per door of £113 for LED module and trim.

@festuc have a look at what I added above; but yes only front but I imagine its the same cost per door of £113 for LED module and trim.

Thanks I finally ordered the car with the carbón ones but will be great if I manage in some way to cut them and put the led module.... a Project for the future :) and have to be very sure beacause carbón ones are expensive!!!!

Naturally the dealer who I asked about the aluminum race told me the lights come with the (non-existent) lighting pack and so even the carbon inlays would have them. Fortunately they have 3 RS3 on that floor and the last one had carbon without lights so he looked confused to say the least! Why is it so hard to find a dealer who isn’t full of excrement. The guy I bought from if he doesn’t know he says he doesn’t know. I prefer that to saying whatever they can to blag it!

The carbon does look very good in the day but the lights look better to me at night - so its personal choice. I don’t think £400 to change the trim is unreasonable. Not cheap but not stupid and the hope is my dealer would do a discount and not charge for the fitting on a new car.

I confirmed this a while back...... must have been on another thread

Probably similar to the rear B&O Led module I used when doing the rear doors
773a926a7ae11586e80b31d198c6a75b.jpg

f1614105d5fc456bd6a58b3061531298.jpg

b9626227d1d37767ece4d42ad34500be.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I confirmed this a while back...... must have been on another thread

You did confirm your car had it - but one person isn’t the same as two cars on display in the biggest Audi dealer in the UK... Also I took better pictures :)

Probably similar to the rear B&O Led module I used when doing the rear doors
773a926a7ae11586e80b31d198c6a75b.jpg

f1614105d5fc456bd6a58b3061531298.jpg

b9626227d1d37767ece4d42ad34500be.jpg

What is it you exactly did there? Not clear.....

But I assume your saying the wiring to light up the speakers is already there you just need an adaptor and the surround?

Also I realise that £92.03 plus £9.97 is actually £102 and not £113

What is it you exactly did there? Not clear.....

But I assume your saying the wiring to light up the speakers is already there you just need an adaptor and the surround?

Also I realise that £92.03 plus £9.97 is actually £102 and not £113[/QUOTE]

Bought Fibre optic cable, fitted it to rear B&O speaker lenses then connected LED projector modules and wired everything up.

Reactions: DW81
Hello, Do you have the part number of the fiberoptic cable? (I don't manage to find it)

Where hace you wired that led module?

Thanks.

I like the standard titanium trim and wouldn’t want to pay to get rid for that reason. But I’d be very interested in fitting the strips if possible, perhaps cut out a slot as mentioned above?

Hello, Do you have the part number of the fiberoptic cable? (I don't manage to find it)

Where hace you wired that led module?

Thanks.

If you are asking me then the trim has the LED built into it. It is not separate. There is an adaptor required to connect the car wiring to the trim.

You can’t get it separate.

I like the standard titanium trim and wouldn’t want to pay to get rid for that reason. But I’d be very interested in fitting the strips if possible, perhaps cut out a slot as mentioned above?

As I said above the light is built into the trim - and even if you could separate it do you really want to cut a hole in your existing trim that will be uneven and look bad most likely? If you want the lights just change the doors and leave the front trim alone.

My dealer said he would get back to me yesterday but I haven’t chased it - in hindsight (and considering my deposit) it makes more sense for me to change the trim later after I have the car unless they do come back to me. I am sure that at stage 20 we can’t change anything else.

Just looked at ETKA on this and the LED strip cannot be bought seperate, so it's looking like you need the full trim piece and a LED projector for each door plus then associated wiring to the door module.

As I said above the light is built into the trim - and even if you could separate it do you really want to cut a hole in your existing trim that will be uneven and look bad most likely? If you want the lights just change the doors and leave the front trim alone.

My dealer said he would get back to me yesterday but I haven’t chased it - in hindsight (and considering my deposit) it makes more sense for me to change the trim later after I have the car unless they do come back to me. I am sure that at stage 20 we can’t change anything else.

You can’t just change the door trim that would look horrific haha.

Just looked at ETKA on this and the LED strip cannot be bought seperate, so it's looking like you need the full trim piece and a LED projector for each door plus then associated wiring to the door module.

The wiring is already there. I’m not sure whether its a projector or an adaptor but that £9 part connects to the wiring. Then you have (as you said) the trim.

@AudiNutta I don’t think that the optical 3D standard inlay and the aluminum race look that different. I thought the inlays were standard until I noticed the lights in the trim.

The wiring is already there. I’m not sure whether its a projector or an adaptor but that £9 part connects to the wiring. Then you have (as you said) the trim.

@AudiNutta I don’t think that the optical 3D standard inlay and the aluminum race look that different. I thought the inlays were standard until I noticed the lights in the trim.

They are hugely different in person trust me. Will look properly odd if they are mixed, you’d have to change the full kit.

Yes

Reactions: JamesCrs3 and AudiNutta
So the dealer emailed me today.

He says he isn’t sure about the lighting on the Alu Race as Audi don’t specify it (As we know; massive LOL).

He said when he has a chassis number he will look to see how much it would cost to add the Alu race; which basically means no sooner than the 16/17th January (as the build is the 15th - and I am not sure when the chassis number appears but it’s shortly after the build starts).

I don’t know if I will be bothered by then as I will be too excited - I am getting excited now and its still 4 weeks before build!

Wouldn’t bother personally as you will be too focused on the road up ahead running out very quickly :sunglasses:

For anyone that has the illuminated trim - does it light up red when side assists senses something? It does this on the RS5 with the extended LED pack. I'm guessing not, but it would be cool!

No it doesn’t

Reactions: bigtasty
Oh look - how kind of Audi to update the price list so it now says “Aluminum Race with Light Design”

6360F322 877F 4835 91C9 B07D3EDE1881

Reactions: L1ARR
Has anyone retrofitted the Aluminum Race with Light Design on there RS3 yet? also, could someone with the inlays take a picture of them in the dark to get a better idea how they look at night.

Thanks

Here is a photo with alu race dark inside and the lights it's on.
IMG 0168 2