Injectors failed, your advice please...

nin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Out of the blue on the way home the car, after about 2 minutes of driving, just cut out, the engine would turn but not start. No signs on the DIS appeared, the only thing that did happen was the glow plug symbol flashed about 5 times and the warning 'low oil pressure' was showing on the DIS.
We had to get the car towed home and it hasnt started since, we had a mechanic come and have a look and he plugged his computer in and it came up with two faults one was to do with the injector and the other was an ecu fault.

After furhter investigation at least one injector has failed, its in the garage as we speak to see what else might have gone.

My question is this, now that one of the injectors has failed what are the chances of another going? should i be looking to get it repaired and sell it on or part exchange it?

Im aware that this is not uncommon in the 170bhp engines.
What else can i expect to go wrong?

Also is this common in the newer 170bhp engines? because i was looking either to go for a newer a3 or an a4 and if thats the case i will leave audi all together. my other option is the mercedes sport c220 cdi, i cant bring myself to get a bmw.

here are the details of my car:

Audi A3 2.0 tdi 170bhp
6 speed dsg
Engine type Bmn
Mileage: 49,666.

what would you do?

Sorry to hear this, your not alone .

And yes its more than likely other will fail in time that seems to be what happens.

Have a look here

VW AUDI Forum - VWAF

I know its for the A4 but its still the same injector problem which audi still won't own upto .

Good luck with this .

Oh and carefully read the post's by a8 , i know him and he is a master tech at audi and really does know what he's talking about .

HTH

Vorpsrung Durch Shyt Indeed.

BMW diesels are the best power and economoy wise- leagues ahead of Audi, but have there fair share of problems too if your going for a used 2.0D or 3.0D.

My 3.2 used to flag up injector pre heat error codes...cant go too much on that.....lol

I can understand how annoyed you are. I certainly would be. That is a problem ive found with the 2.0 tdi, where like yours 1 injector goes down and the engine cuts out and non start. The old 1.9 tdi like i have will still run but with a missfire. I changed one on a 2.0 l passat recently and it was silly money and dealer part only, the owner said they would be swiftly trading it in after it was done. If i was in your case i would keep it as i know how good the engine is when its running 100%. I personally don't rate bmw diesels, they still have their fair share of problems and i have recently also had 2 rebuild a engine fully due to the inlet manifold flaps breaking up and destroying the engine.

Hi guys,

Out of the blue on the way home the car, after about 2 minutes of driving, just cut out, the engine would turn but not start. No signs on the DIS appeared, the only thing that did happen was the glow plug symbol flashed about 5 times and the warning 'low oil pressure' was showing on the DIS.
We had to get the car towed home and it hasn't started since, we had a mechanic come and have a look and he plugged his computer in and it came up with two faults one was to do with the injector and the other was an ecu fault.

After furhter investigation at least one injector has failed, its in the garage as we speak to see what else might have gone.

My question is this, now that one of the injectors has failed what are the chances of another going? should i be looking to get it repaired and sell it on or part exchange it?

Im aware that this is not uncommon in the 170bhp engines.
What else can i expect to go wrong?

Also is this common in the newer 170bhp engines? because i was looking either to go for a newer a3 or an a4 and if thats the case i will leave audi all together. my other option is the mercedes sport c220 cdi, i cant bring myself to get a bmw.

here are the details of my car:

Audi A3 2.0 tdi 170bhp
6 speed dsg
Engine type Bmn
Mileage: 49,666.

what would you do?

Sorry but the idea that by changing the make to BM or Merc, you will get a more reliable car is a non starter. Audi's like all other cars break down. You can limit the chances by avoiding Alfa and Peugeot but if you want reliability look to Jap.

or go for an older car if your after reliability and cheap to maintain...... you wont have to visit a dealer ever again! logic says, the simpler a car is the less it will go wrong!

Thanks for the replies everyone. If I can I would love to stay with Audi. My question was really, do the newer a3s suffer the same fate. What problems do the newer engines have?
I will be looking to get a one year old car so at least I have two years warranty.

Any car can suffer failures depending on component failures, maintenance standards or the way they are driven (e.g. driven to hard from cold).

The only affecting factors are being respectful of the car, having a bit of luck, and choosing a car which when it breaks down won't leave you eating canned 'blue stripe' fayre for a month.

Cars are developed so fast these days they all have issues, the only way round the associated costs is to run an in warranty car. Whilst Peugeot's break down every time there is a letter 'Y' in the day of the week, even Porsche, Mercedes, Bentley or Bugatti's can fail, only the price tag differs.

Thanks for the replies everyone. If I can I would love to stay with Audi. My question was really, do the newer a3s suffer the same fate. What problems do the newer engines have?
I will be looking to get a one year old car so at least I have two years warranty.

They now use denso injectors and not piezo , i have not heard of any failures with the denso .

Guys, i understand fully that cars go wrong and there is no perfect solution. My question is this:

My injector has failed on my 2.0 tdi - from asking around and researching this is a common fault on the pre 2008 VAG diesel engines.
Im not looking to buy an older car im not looking to downgrade either, i want to still get a a3 diesel if i can i just want to know if there is a known common design fault in the newer engines (post 2008) because if there is i will try another car.

does anyone here who has a 2009+ 2.0 tdi 170bhp had any problems with their engine?

does anyone here who has a 2009+ 2.0 tdi 170bhp had any problems with their engine?

Are the 170's the ones that have DPF issues, or is that only when they're mapped?

Don't forget that the newer CR diesels have a totally different injector design to the old PD design. The PD has a mechanical pump as part of the design where as the CR type has a high pressure fuel rail so no requirement for a physical pump as part of the injector.

My mate works in a local independent garage and has changed loads of PD injectors on the VAG range. Also done quite a few Turbos, so when mine go he should be able to do it with his eyes closed.

Worse thing with the PD injectors is that the way that you find out which injector is at fault is with the rocker cover off, you have to crank the Engine and un-plug the injector from the loom one by one until it fires. Can't be a bit messy, it sounds like from what he is saying that diags won't tell you which injector is blocking the ecu from starting.

Oh and at about £450 each, you don't change all four when one goes - well unless you are loaded - or risk using ones from a breaker (of course which could fail at anytime).

Paul

well i got a call from the menders, confirmed it was one injector failure, injector number 4.
hopefully pick it up tomorrow and take it from there. i was going to sell it anyway next year might just be a little sooner now.

anyone know how much a second hand audi a3 09 plate would go for, same spec sportback 2.0tdi 170bhp, s-tronic, leather with less than 20thousand on the mileage?