Initail review! - A4 TFSI 2.0 190 S-Line with a lot of extras!

woodyuk

Reaction score
Hi

Our spec = http://uk.audi.com/AQK7MC5L

So just picked up our A4 today from a dealer up north and drove back down to London. Initial impression is this is a huge step up from our A3 2012 2.0 TDI S-Line Black Edition which we did a part ex on. Both PCP deals via a broker.

Moving to petrol for the first time is different, its smooth and less noise, but think I might miss that extra torque.

Inside cabin is amazing, and externally looks great as well. Feels like what you would get in A8! B&O sound system is stunning, and a massive step up from the A3.

Only niggles so far is getting used in the accelerator pedal which pivots from the top and not bottom like the A3. Keep missing it! Also the door mirrors, not sure i like the shape of them, and feel a little small. After doing 200miles today, that was the extent of my moans :)

I could not get Apple CarPlay wireless to work, wired works great. I suspect this has not been enabled yet. Hoping a software update will happen later. No SIM was provided, although from the sales pack i had said you get 3 months. I have ordered a SIM from EE so will slot that in after easter.

I love the drive assistance, on the motorway set to 50 in various roadworks / average speed cams and just followed the car in front speed up and down as required - works as advertised. Parking Plus also great with rear camera. I did not get the auto park feature, as never used on our A3 - but having the camera and lines and extra sensors is very helpful.

Will provide more of a review after a week or so of driving, but if anyone has questions happy to answer.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, scotty76, Stuhil and 1 other person
Glad you like it, I was pondering the 190 but haven't tried a auto with Fwd before. What's it like with traction pulling off etc. Much in the way of wheel spins

CarPlay is only available with a wired connection. The data transfer rate isn't fast enough for it via Bluetooth

Glad you like it, I was pondering the 190 but haven't tried a auto with Fwd before. What's it like with traction pulling off etc. Much in the way of wheel spins

Not had any wheel spin yet, and was a little worried form what i had read online that this was a problem. However, I have found the instructions for "launch control" so tomorrow we will find out - had no idea you could do that. ;-) Basically, you have to turn off all safety systems! It was one reason i was worried that i had not ordered the Quatrro. The normal drive mode on ecom mode does make the car very sluggish, but once you put into S mode with dynamic its very responsive and good enough for what I was looking for.

Another cool thing I just read; if for any reason your main brakes fail, and in an emergency ONLY you can press the parking brake button and it does an emergency stop. Not going to try this - but is good to know.

Well I hope its ok in the wet when pulling off, obviously when it's on the move there shouldn't be any probs.
I would like the petrol Quattro by 6K difference (ok, theres more power) is a little hard to swallow.

What do you think about the power etc

I see you also have the comfort suspension, I always considered the adaptive system, how is this one ?

Is the B&O worth paying for?

I had the more expensive one in my previous A3 and this blows it out the water, so happy i picked it. Sorry, no idea how it compares to the standard A4 Audio as not heard that. Reading on various threads, i think people were saying it was not good - but i guess its a very personal choice.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Is the B&O worth paying for?
I see you also have the comfort suspension, I always considered the adaptive system, how is this one ?

I did, and when selected its a VERY soft ride. I did not select any of the other types, and so assumed I would be stuck with the comfort only mode. However, I can select dynamic mode - which feels like a sport mode. Much stiffer steering, feel of the road etc. So going to stick with that for now. No idea if that lowers the car or not. Need to do more reading of the HUGE manual!

My A3 was on sports suspension and felt every bump in the road and vowed not to do that again.

From what I can gather the dynamic comfort suspension is standard height. The adaptive comfort is lowered by 10mm and sport suspension lowered by 20mm

Well I hope its ok in the wet when pulling off, obviously when it's on the move there shouldn't be any probs.
I would like the petrol Quattro by 6K difference (ok, theres more power) is a little hard to swallow.

What do you think about the power etc

In Sports mode, it feels as quick as my A3. It's a little difficult as I have gone from TDI > TFSI and so there is a slight difference. I was really worried having not gone with the Quatrro. I might at some point do a test drive of that and see if I can see the difference between 190 - 262. But £6k was a bit jump up on an already quite expensive car. In 4 years time once this PCP is done, pretty sure I will get my first S series :)

Thanks for the info. I might have a run out to Milton Keynes Audi tomorrow and have a poke around

It's good to read someone going from a TDI to the TFSI. I'm going the other way this time. I loved the TFSI in my b8 (apart from the oil consumption issues!) but thought I would try the TDi this time.

Glad your enjoying your car. Looks like I'm off to add the B&O onto my order today!

Hi woodyuk,

Glad to read of your positive experience so far....I am considering the same car for my next company car - I'm interested in what your real world fuel figures are like?

Steve

Hey woodyuk,

How's the car going? Still enjoying it?

I wanted to ask how you were finding the economy of the 190PS TFSI engine. What kind of MPG do you get on a long run at roughly 70MPH?

aye the driver assist is soo handy! shame that you cant take your hands of the wheels for more than 15 seconds+-

Saw a video on YouTube where someone jammed a water bottle in the between the spokes in the steering wheel to get around that warning

Saw a video on YouTube where someone jammed a water bottle in the between the spokes in the steering wheel to get around that warning

haha I actually tried doing that, sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesnt! was reading on another forum, if you have a vcds cable you can adjust the time, might give that a shot.

I have the 2 litre tfsi 190 s line s tronic. I took delivery a fortnight ago and am just starting to feel at home in it. I too came from an A3 and although I loved that car I have to say the A4 is a real step up in quality in terms of standard spec and ride quality. My A3 had SE suspension while the A4 has s line suspension and I find the ride about the same, except there is much less body roll with the A4. My only niggle with the A3 was tyre noise, but the A4 is SO much better, I wouldn't have believed the difference.

I'm still in my first 1000 miles so I've resisted the temptation to try sport mode. I think that's when the fun will start! In D mode the engine never revs above 2000 and it's barely audible. Cruising at 80 mph at 2000 revs is very civilised and economical. The DIS shows consumption in the low 40s in that situation but the long term memory shows 38 mpg and that tallies with my brim to brim calculations. It's thirstier than my A3, but then I was prepared for that.

I don't think I'd ever drive it in a way that produces wheel spin so that's all a bit academic for me. As an old fart who loves his cars, this model suits me fine so far. Please post if there are any specifics you'd like to know about.

Reactions: mister.c.
Hey! Sorry not been on the forum for a while - too much work! So I am 6000 miles in, and to be honest the honeymoon period is over. I do like the car, but I would not buy it again. I am def going back to an A3 or in fact the S3, but 5 door. For me the car is just too big for using in London, I also find the fuel economy pretty poor - filling up once a week compared to every 2 weeks in my A3 2012 2.0 TDI. I love the inside cabin, but the new A3/S3 has that now. My brother just got the Golf GTI and driving that I was like - woah! ;-) And friend just picked up a new Mercedes AMG CLA 45 which is about the same price (£40k-50k) depending on spec and that is another level!
190BHP is just not as fun and regret not getting Quatrro - the wheel spinning at times annoying due to lack of traction. It was never this bad in my A3. So sorry if this sounds a bit negative, but I guess with cars you need to learn only by trying. I am 40! But I think I need something a little smaller and quicker :)

The key things I do like are B&O sound - worth the upgrade, the automatic boot opener, auto hill hold feature, start / stop auto drive stuff - it works really really well and use all the time, finally got to use the Matrix lights and the first time I used them was shocked, they are so bright was totally paranoid that oncoming cars on an A road in the country was going to start flashing me - but nothing. No idea how it works, but 100% worth the money.

I think it was the sound system that blew the A3 out of the water rather than the A4 as a whole. And the latest post says that he still likes the B&O sound.

Reactions: cuke2u
I can understand the point about it being too big for London, although imo everything is too big for London. If I was still living there I wouldn't even bother having a car

It was the internal cabin that blew away my old A3 and that is still the case. I love the inside of the car, feels like a really high quality car. It's just too big, and not as impressed with MPG, although i went from a TDI to a TFSI so i need to take that into account. However, you can now get A3 / S3 pretty much with the same cabin as the A4 (ish) now that is what i am going to do next. A S4 spec is the same price as my A4 spec now.

I have tried no car in London for a while and used those car share services, but it became impossible to get one when you wanted and people left them in an absolute state so gave up.