Induction kit! Yes or no?

s3evil34

Reaction score
Sorry to ask this question as it's been covered so many times. But can't find much on here about induction kits filters I no about the s2000 filter that's it. Right simple I want induction noise so was thinking of drilling extra holes in the standard air box and fitting a panel filter. Any good ones for the 8l s3? Or ramair filter at 49.99 full induction kit! Any thoughts thanks.

S2000 is best bang for your buck, had one myself for a while, worked great, very cheap, decent quality

Reactions: Tj 0785
Ramair filters are a bit pants... they are foam filters and will need oiling to provide decent filtration which then means the oil gets on the MAF and kills it...

If you want something that actually works then get a Badger 5 v3 TIP and Jetex cone filter...

Drilling holes in the bottom section of the airbox can provide more induction noise though
http://www.wak-tt.com/mods/ramair/cheapinduction.htm

<tuffty/>

paper s2000 filter is quite loud, scrap the air box - but as tuffty highlighted - better off getting a B5 TIP, heat shield and jettex filter for performance increase.

I have a fabric s2000 filter it's all right - not as raspy intake as paper filter - but I've stupidly added pop pop gargle to my map now too - so it sounds proper pikey like the local kids in their Nova SRi's. (haven't managed the bang?)

A nova sri not seen one of them in years , think they’ve all rusted away

I used to have the ramair kit fitted, got fed up buying new maf's so i went back to stock airbox and paper filter

• Best way of cleaning my Jetex?

Looked at bit tired so bought a s2000 and its a lot quieter.

Best thing, is to go Jetex (blue) 80mm I think (from mem) :)

Cheers guys think I'm going to go for the Jetex set up. So Jetex is a Jr filter? As in Jetex make Jr? Also sorry for sounding stupid but what advantages does the b5 tip give u? And will the Jr 80mm filter fit straight on to the maf surround

Cheers guys think I'm going to go for the Jetex set up. So Jetex is a Jr filter? As in Jetex make Jr? Also sorry for sounding stupid but what advantages does the b5 tip give u? And will the Jr 80mm filter fit straight on to the maf surround
JR filter is made by jetex

B5 tip is proven to give up to 18hp increase depending on setup... Have seen 10hp increase on a std unmapped car before

<tuffty/>

I have a s2000 filter which as quoted is very loud not that a jetex filter isn't hav had both and have to say jetex sounds better and also performs in my opinion a tad better

Basically I got tired off looked up opon every corner I turn so currently has a k&n panel filter not as free air flowing as open filters but not its hardly noticeable noise wise but not in terms of performance.
Filter/induction kit which to go for really depends on the power level u have and want but that's your choice..
Ask questions I wish I did a year ago lol good luck buddy..Silva bullet

I have the ramair foam cone and heat sheild. Its been on car bout a year or just over and no problems. I think though i will change to the badger 5 tip and jetex cone one if there better to have. As silva bullet said i wish id asked more questions before i went out and bought stuff thats not the best to get but easily changed so no biggy.

the s2000 filter, TIP + heat shield is the easiest upgrade - my filter is only pushed onto the MAF - not sure the heat shield is necessary on my little engine but it at least stops the filter floating around in the air. the B5 V3 tip is very easy to fit and comes with all the necessary clamps - only work is the trimming if using a heat shield. I'm not sure if people get much more than 250bhp with an S2000 filter though.

B5TIP2

The filter on it's own means sweet FA, but big TIP , Remap , exhuast, fmic, 270 and a smidgen bhp is easily achievable if the engine is in fine fettle,ie, good compression.

Thanks everyone for the advice lots of options. Think I will go for the Jetex filter. Especially as this afternoon I removed my plastic engine cover and would you belive it I have a silicone tip already installed! It's black so did not notice before as the car came to me fully serviced only opened the bonet a few times to check oil etc. It's going to the standard air box so Jetex is a must I would say now.

some people put a "green cotton" filter in the air box which is apparently pretty good

Look in the airbox before you go further, there might be a green cotton or jetex panel filter already in there.

Tufty has a GT35 hiding under his stock looking engine covers....

Yeah had a look standard filter in the box. With the Jetex I take it will fit straight on the maf housing? Or is there an adaptor needed?

80mm cone filter will go straight on the MAF, i'm not sure if the shield really acts as a heat shield or just holds the filter in a more sturdy way

B5TIP

I actually think unless you trim the TIP correctly you get more gains without the heat shield as the TIP keeps its shape better - but the MAF and filter are kinda just floating in the engine bay. you can see the relaxed position of the TIP is different to the twist required with the heat shield.

View attachment 141896

I actually think unless you trim the TIP correctly you get more gains without the heat shield as the TIP keeps its shape better - but the MAF and filter are kinda just floating in the engine bay. you can see the relaxed position of the TIP is different to the twist required with the heat shield.

Is that the 2.2? I have the 2.2 TIP with my standard airbox and its very badly kinked at the billet adapter, so I need to take the airbox out, did you make the heat shield yourself?

Tufty, do you know off hand if this comes with a heat shield, or do i even need one? or just straight into the TIP?

"Jetex filter (choose 80mm for an S3)
http://badger5.biz/epages/3927bc2c-... air filter"/SubProducts/"Jr air filter-0002""

Tufty, do you know off hand if this comes with a heat shield, or do i even need one? or just straight into the TIP?
I doesn't come with one but Bill lists them separately on his site...

You don't 'need' a heatshield as in reality the heat has little affect on the charge air temps but people use them as an every little helps kinda thing and as a support for the assembly... keeps it tidy...

<tuffty/>

mine's a V3 not 2.2 and I bought the heat shield separately from Bill - I know Creations and others make copies of Bill's designs, but they don't frequent ASN and help out us "normals"

I needed to trim the MAF end - but it's a scary thing to do as I'm pretty bad at precision engineering :D on the V3 I think you are advised to not trim the turbo end, but I did try rotating slightly etc