Induction Kit v Panel Filter on 2.0 TDI

G40DP

Reaction score
Hi all

The Mrs has recently bought a A3 2.0 TDI, i know that the tuning potentail of these engines is great. I was just wondering what would be more effective, a panel filter or a induction kit?

Thanks

Dipesh

I would say the panel filter, I saw no gains in using an enclosed Pipercross Viper over a standard panel filter on a Focus TDi, for that reason I use a jetex panel filter.

The induction kit would be more effective but to be honest the gains are minimal.

Save your money and put it towards a remap.

Panel filter and a Green one to be precise - thats what i have in my car and its spot on! :D

thanks for the input lads. Panel filter it is....

What is a Panel Filter anyway and how is it different... I never got those =/

Its a direct replacement for the standard paper one but made from the same material as a conical filter. The benefit is that it doesn't suck in all the hot air in the engine bay. I'm not sure if its possible but with my Focus I fitted a larger intake from the ST model to improve airflow into the standard airbox.

nothing really unless you incorporate an aftermarket exhaust and remap

I think the panel filter in mine helps the car rev a bit better but you are not losing anything (except £30) so you may as well try it - it can be cleaned and reused!

Panel filters are often responsible for failures of the MAF, especially oiled ones. A good induction kit with a turbo back exhaust will help an engine breathe more freely which helps pick-up, mate it to a remap and your cooking!

I've heard some guys in other forums reckon a panel filter gives them 10bhp, if only. It's called the placebo effect. But try explaining it gives them the square root of feck all.

Reactions: Fouz
My panel filter has been in for months and months - no MAF problems at all

Nor do I think that I have gained 10bhp lol with my filter, exhaust and map my car was dyno'd at 175bhp and 306lb/ft

I've had no problem with panel filters either, as already mentioned above make sure there is no excess oil, Jabba bake theres to dry out some of the oil, and as for increases in power, Jetex on Focus 1.8 TDCi 125bhp, with remap 146bhp, remap + Viper induction kit 145bhp. Standard the Focus was 113 although I have not power runs without the panel filter.

The TDCi's are over powered anyway from claimed factory power

I was at a FFOC rolling road day and lots of TDCi's were making in and around 120-130bhp standard or maybe with an exhaust or light breathing mods

At Uni i did a comparison between standard panel filter, K&N panel filter and a K&N induction kit on a Polo 1.4 16V (100bhp).

The induction kit came out the worse as it lost 3bhp (most probably due to the induction kit being at the back of the engine where all the heat was).

Both panel filters produced the same power.

There are 2 types of panel filter. some use oiled cotton held between wire mesh. some use foam.

The more expensive ones (ITG etc) use foam, and their foam filters are used by F1/WRC teams.

The advantage of using foam is that you don't get variations in filtering through the life of the filter like you do with oiled cotton.

I think most of the reputable tuning companies will tell you that the stock paper filter is well up to the job, even on heavily modified engines. So basically why waste your money?

The stock filers are cheap and don't need changing that often.
There is talk of oiled filter causing problems with MAF's. Now this may or may not be true but as the panel filter/induction kits provide no performance benefit, why risk it?

People will continue to fit such filter but I see no point in spending my hard earned money on something which will potentially damage my car without giving me any benefit.

Also, check out this post for extra infor on replacement air filters. It's a bit of an eye opener. (scroll down to about half way doen the page).

Just my 2p's worth of course.

a K&N filter should be cleaned and reoiled every 8-12,000 miles. The 'recharge' kit is £10 and will last for 4 charges. That means the correct A3 panel would cost £45-50 for 4 years motoring. You could change a paper one every 8,000 miles for less than half that and personally would rather have clean paper filter then one covered in sticky oil!!

I've got a K&N Panel filter (oiled cotton - £30) because I have a custom made airbox, along the lines of a Dbilas intake (but didn't pay £250 for it), and couldn't find a paper filter that was the right (small) size. I have the benefits of increased linear flow like a CAI kit and improved filtering like a panel filter. Once I have an FMIC and remap I'll see the full benefit.

marms, nice link it puts the air filter debate to bed quite well.

I've always recommended that customers stick to their standard air filters unless they want a Stage 2 remap which requires a CAI system with the inlet at the front of the engine bay.

Isn't the inlet already at the front of the engine bay?!? And apart from the stupid snow screen thing seems quite wide. It's certainly loads bigger than the standard air intakes on Vauxhall CDTi's.