Indicators not working properly

clcollins

Reaction score
Hi all, wondering if any of you have had / or heard of a similar problem. My indicators seem to have died…………when I indicate they do one of three things, (1) nothing, (2) flash for about 2 seconds at three times the normal speed, or (3) flash once at normal speed.

I’m hoping it’s just the flasher unit but have a feeling that it’s the indicator stalk. My reason for thinking this is that when I put the hazard lights on the lights work perfectly, so unless there are two flasher units (one for normal indication and one for hazards) then it’s the stalk.

Anyone got any ideas / advice?

umm not sure but i remember when I changed my sub over in the back of my A3 a while back I had some strange things like that happen to my indicators. took it apart and went through the whole process again and it was ok. I asked someone and they said it may have been a dodgy earth wire in the loop but your case may be different.

Yes, a dodgy earth on the A3 makes the dash go funny in a spooky sort of way, indicators become intermittent and the dash lights flicker all over the place.

Had a similar problem a while ago. Replaced the relay, but it didnt solve it, so have now put it down to the indicator stalk itself. Theres a replacement stalk on the way to me at the moment, so if you want I can let you know how I get on? And theres only 1 relay for both the hazards and the indicators. And I had the same symptoms too i.e hazards worked fine but indicators play up.
HTH
Marc

MarcA3Turbo said:
Had a similar problem a while ago. Replaced the relay, but it didnt solve it, so have now put it down to the indicator stalk itself. Theres a replacement stalk on the way to me at the moment, so if you want I can let you know how I get on? And theres only 1 relay for both the hazards and the indicators. And I had the same symptoms too i.e hazards worked fine but indicators play up.
HTH
Marc

Marc have you changed your indicator stalk yet, if so has it sorted out the problem?

As I have the same prob and really don't want to change the stalk without knowing for sure that's where the problem lies, how do I trace an earth fault (if there is one)?

Hi,
indicator stalk was posted yesterday, should have it tomorrow, but I'm away until next Wednesday, so won't have it on until at least then, sorry! I'll let you know though as soon as I get it on.

Marc

have you replaced your stalk yet marc? did it fix it?

No, believe it or not, still haven't gotten around to it! Have the new stalk sitting in my glove box, but haven't had it fitted yet. The problem is so intermittent i.e only happens for a few minutes every few weeks that it keeps slipping my mind. I'll make the effort to head down over the next couple of days though, just pure lazy really...

Eventually got around to fitting the new stalk last week, and glad to report that the problem is completely cured! Happy days :)

I had a similar problem.

Hazards worked 100%, but not indicators.

A new relay fixed everything. It is very easy to change, so you should give it a go :)

I have got the same problem with mine, Spoke to Audi and they said it is a common fault and 9 out of 10 times is the hazard light switch blocking the signal of the indicators. Havent brought or fitted anything yet though so would be intersted to hear how you get on.

audi a3 quattro 1.8 turbo ,,,will you please tell me how you get on clcollins as i have the same problem by the sounds of things ,,,and can any one tell me how much the indicator stalks are,, do i need to change the relay as well all info greatley accepted

audi a3 quattro 1.8 turbo ,,,will you please tell me how you get on clcollins as i have the same problem by the sounds of things ,,,and can any one tell me how much the indicator stalks are,, do i need to change the relay as well all info greatley accepted

Mine was doing this when I test drove it before I bought it and one of the mechanics at the shop said the hazard relay was a common problem. They swapped the whole hazard switch bit out from an A4 and I haven't had a problem since.

will you please tell me how you get on clcollins as i have the same problem by the sounds of things

that was two and a half years ago so hes probably had another relay since then :)

this has just happened to my s3. what part do i need and where do i get it from? and how do i fit a new relay? cheers

Hi mate, the flasher relay replacement is a 15 minute job if you have all the needed tools. Go to Stoke Audi section on here and request the part from Dave. Given a chassis number he can give you the correct part. I think it's in the region of 25 pounds, so not too big of a deal.

To replace the relay (it's one unit, but contains two separate relays - indicator relay flasher and hazard) you will probably be better off by removing the stereo to get a good grip on the panel that covers the top part of the central console (cup holder, ESP buttons and hazard button/relay). I managed to remove this panel without taking the stereo out, because my car had a bigger gap than usual, so a blunt/flat table knife went in there nicely.

In any case, carefully lever off the panel from the bottom and then pull the panel slightly up and towards you. It's held in with clips, so be careful not to damage any of them.

The next part is a little fiddly, but you will need to get a flat screwdriver in the corner of the hazard switch and lever it out of place. Once out, it's just a matter of un-clipping the connector replacing the flasher with the new unit (test the indicators at this point) and push it back into place. The rest is in reverse.

I know it's a old thread. Mine are playing up . I signal right and the left indicator comes on for one tick/flash then off and right continues as normal.
Left one works OK though.
Cold this be the relay

Mines just gone dodgy today, I took the hazard switch out, wiggled it a bit and refitted it, all working again, I've got a new switch on order now though

The hazard switch which you press to put them on ? Or is there another switch.
I'll give it a go

Mines 8p
I'll give it a go,thanks for your help

Good luck, I just pulled the surround off mine then pulled the red button off, the the whole switch pulled straight out, took me 15 seconds

Worried I'm gonna break something.
Need to do it though
Cheers

Not much to break anyway, you can see the small metal prongs that hold it in

Yea I wasn't sure if I would have to squeeze them in which would mean removing the two next to it. I'll have a go Tomorrow

Glad you did yours 1st haha
Cheers

That's reasonable from Audi .
Fingers crossed mine is the same problem as urs

Just been out to look (kin freezing )
I recon mines different to your one I can't see how I'd remove as there all flush buttons

My car is the facelift model so I'm unsure how to remove switch. Searching net now

Is yours facelift too?
My one is 2011