Indicators not flashing as they should

Izzy1

Vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Over the last few days i've noticed that they are not flashing properly on the dash. when i 1st indicate they will blink fast a few times and then continue as normal. but during lunch today they were all over the place and by the end they stopped flashing. inorder to restart the flash i had to cancel and re-start indicating. same problem when turning left or right.

anyone else ever had this problem?

I'm think it might have something to do with the wiring as the bulbs are ok.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Check the bulbs on the outside - get someone to play with them in the car whilst you see what is going on outside, sometimes that would suggest that a bulb has gone - maybe also try taking the bulbs out and putting them back in - may or may not work?!

It sounds like you need a new indicator relay. I just replaced mine after a similar problem and they are as the should be now.
The relay is built in to the back of the hazard warning switch. it looks like this
W01331841403OES.JPG

They should only cost about £20 to £30 and its very easy to replace.
Here is a link to a how to:
http://www.craigmurphy.com/blog/?p=661

Camo - looks like i need the relay switch. i'm having the same symptoms as the guy on that link.

i'll try picking a relay from the local scrappy if the price is right. wonder if GSF supply this part??? hmmmm

Yep... that's definitely the hazard warning switch/relay that needs replacing. It did exactly the same thing in mine. It's a common fault!

Does anyone know where i can get one from apart from the stealers? they want £42...

i reserved one at my local this morning. will pick up on my way home. don't have a choice.
cheers guys. nice to know when you have a problem someone on here has the answer. :eek:)

update!
i managed to get a switch from euro car parts this morning. had a look at fitting it but can't seem to get the old one out.
is there a way without ripping the whole dash apart?
it's a facelift model.
cheers

For completeness: How does the switch come out?

I think it probably just pulls out the front, but it'd be useful to know for future reference.

pulled on the fog light switches and they came out with out a problem, for the cup holder you need to put in a flat screw driver (top right) and lift a small plastic arm thing and then pull and that pops out quiet easy. then you have access to the hazzord switch. flat screw driver on both sides behind the edge and then twist and it pops out. no more then 5 minutes.