Indicator stuck on

JimS3

Reaction score
Seems the electrical gremlins are back...

When I lock the car the indicators blink several times as usual and then the left indicator stays on (not flashing).
Occasionally both sides will stay on, but usually just the left!

Any ideas on what is powering them up?

flasher relay is fecked... you need to replace the hazard light switch to fix... common problem and around 35 quid to replace

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
flasher relay is fecked... you need to replace the hazard light switch to fix... common problem and around 35 quid to replace

<tuffty/>

Tried this, sadly didn't help.

After a bit more research it seems the CCM flashes the lights when you
lock the car and the CCM has it's own internal flasher relay. Will get the multi meter out tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:

i had this problem aswell. and sometimes they wouldn't work at all.

the left hand relay does the hazard lights and the right hand does the indicators.

lift up the moving tab and a blob of solder and problem sorted

£40 saved.

i had this problem aswell. and sometimes they wouldn't work at all.

the left hand relay does the hazard lights and the right hand does the indicators.

lift up the moving tab and a blob of solder and problem sorted

£40 saved.

Was your problem while the car was running though?

My indicators and hazards work fine while the car is running, it's when it's off and locked that the indicators are illuminated static (not flashing).

Looks like the a3 / s3 does not have a central convenience module like the vw models do.

Have traced the problem to the central locking module / pump in the boot, relay inside seems knackered.
Will change it and post up pics if it solved the issue.

Ok, seen many post with owners of different audi models with this issue, couldn't find any who had resolved it. After an afternoon with the multimeter I sorted the problem so hopefully the following fix may help a few people.

The central locking, alarm, remote key receiver etc are all controlled within a combined electronic module and pump unit located in the N/S side cupboard in the boot, it's wrapped in foam and positioned between the rear light cluster and sub.

When you lock the car with the remote key fob there is a separate feed from this unit via a relay to the indicators that blinks twice when the car is locked. This relay sticking is what was causing the problem leaving the indicator bulbs lit constantly with the car locked. The relay needed to be changed.

Heres the unit:

image_zpsa651dbfc.jpg

Remove the grey top cover:

image_zpscfc94cd1.jpg

Gently lever the pcb out:

image_zpsad0ece63.jpg

The relay for the indicator flash is the square middle bottom one, marked with part number: V23072-C1056-A108.
The relay is soldered onto the Pcb with 5 legs, easy to change if you have basic soldering skills.
This relay is an old part number now, you can also use V23072-C1059-A208. or V23072-C1061-A208 or V23072-C1061-A408.

After changing the relay all is good. The alternative is to buy a whole new pump / alarm module which I was quoted just shy of £300 for!

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I also have this issue. Can you take a unit from another car to fix this?

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I also have this issue. Can you take a unit from another car to fix this?

Not easily as this module also stores the coding for the remote locking and alarm.

I would try changing your flasher relay (built into hazard switch) first, that's more likely to be the problem.

I recently got a hazard switch from Euro Car Parts for about £30. It came in a genuine Audi box and was about £18 less than the dealer.

Cheers. I had a look on ECP at the relays but wasn't sure which to go for. I didn't see one that was listed as specifically a flasher relay, just a couple of generic relays so looks like the full hazard switch is what I'll have to buy.

The part number for the Genuine pre-facelift switch is: 462440160 (pase into ECP search and it brings it up).

You can use discount code UKPAS25 for a 25% discount when their current sale has ended.