Indicator stalk part no.

mikeh126

Reaction score
My indicator stalk seems to have an intermittent fault. Sometimes, when I indicate to turn right, the left hand indicator comes on. And, after moving the stalk to the middle position (indicators off), the indicator keeps flashing for another few seconds.

Does anyone know the correct part number for the indicator stalk? I THINK it's 8E0 953 513A, but I'm not sure. Any help would be much appreciated.

Also - is the indicator stalk separate from the wiper / DIS stalk, or are they one item fitted round the steering column? The part no above is just the indicator stalk.

Many thanks in advance.

I have the same fault - occasionally it works fine, but sometimes its ****** dangerous !

If anyone can offer some help or knows of a simple fix, that would be magic :)

Cheers !

I decided to have the stalk renewed - as you say, it can be dangerous when the wrong indicator comes on!
AFAIK, there isn't a 'quick fix'.
I bought a new replacement stalk from ebay - part no. 4EO 953 513A - for £23, and got my local garage to fit it - for £25.
The job involves removing the steering wheel, airbag and cowl. Disconnect battery as well - to disable the airbag.

Happy now that the indicator does what I want it to do!!;)

Cheers Mike - thats great, I searched eBay a little bit before, but wasnt sure on part numbers - I have an 2003 A4 Avant too, so I'll order that part ..

Thanks again :)

Yes - the problem before was intermittent - but, so far, the indicators have behaved themselves.
The swap was only done on Friday, so it's early days yet.
If they're still behaving after a week, I'll assume the problem has been solved.
I'll post here after next weekend, and let you know the outcome.:cool:

Hi,

Look forward to see if thats worked for you. The problem I have is the same and so intermitant that sometimes it goes for weeks without causing any issue then it will be faulty every day.

Do you have cruise control? seems like there is different stalks for cruise or not

No, I don't have cruise control on mine. It's just a simple L/R indicator, main/dipped beam, and flash.
It's behaved itself so far - but, like yours, it could be OK for a while, and then start playing up. My fingers are crossed!!
I'm towing a boat and trailer on Saturday up to the Lake District (round trip 160 miles) - so I'll see if the trailer plug upsets the indicators (a buzzer is introduced into the circuit when the trailer's plugged in).
Either way, I'll post here next week to let you know.

So far, after 12 days, the indicator has behaved itself, with no issues.
I think it's safe to assume that it's fixed.:icon_thumright:

I went ahead and ordered the same part as yourself from ebaY as was quite sure the fault was with the switch. Fitted myself in what would have been about an hour if the screws holding the steering cowl on had not been torx head andIi had to manufacure a screw driver as nothing i had fitted in the tiny hole...anyhoo

Problem is solved. The indicator problem had gone from intermittent to nearly every time and now its gone. Happy days and safe turning right now :o.k:

I went ahead and ordered the same part as yourself from ebaY as was quite sure the fault was with the switch. Fitted myself in what would have been about an hour if the screws holding the steering cowl on had not been torx head andIi had to manufacure a screw driver as nothing i had fitted in the tiny hole...anyhoo

Problem is solved. The indicator problem had gone from intermittent to nearly every time and now its gone. Happy days and safe turning right now :o.k:

Glad our faulty indicators have been corrected - as you say - no more danger and confusion on right turns!!:icon_thumright: