Increasing sidewall height on 18 inch wheels

drummerdimitri

Reaction score
Is it possible to replace the standard tyres with ones with a taller sidewall?

I am afraid of low profile tyres since I have had bad experiences with them in the past as they bulged out when hitting a pothole and offer a harsh ride on bad tarmac.

Can one fit 225 45s or even 50s?

It will have an impact on the speedo and odometer. There are calculators online that tell you the impact

It will have an impact on the speedo and odometer. There are calculators online that tell you the impact

I thought so since I would be increasing the size of the tyres but they be fitted without problems?

well the tyres could rub on full lock - hard to tell really

just looked on a calc and a 45 side wall would be a 3.4% change, and the 50 side wall a 6.6% change

2.5% difference is a max suggested as it has a knock on effect for speed as previously mentioned.

It would also cause the car to under clock on the odometer, so could technically be illegal i suppose?

Does the car not compensate automatically for this difference in circumference?

If not, can an audi dealer re-calibrate the speedometer to read the values correctly?

possibly - or using VCDS - good lucky finding out!

you can change it to some degree if you have VCDS. I keep meaning too, going from 225/40/18 to 235/35/19, but hey ho... can't really be bothered.

but saying that, the speedo was still 100% accurate to my roadangel GPS speedcamera locator!

Tyre envelopes are usually calculated at full bump, rebound and lock to lock with snow chains on but then it's hard to predict how much leeway if any there is on the S3 - I've worked on cars where that envelope is practically the wheel arch liner. You have a bit to play with but don't go too crazy also it may alter the handling adversely as you have more sidewall deflection of the tyre wall.

I will wait for the car and test it for a while. If i don't get frequent
If you hit a pothole hard enough (and it sounds as though you did) then it will damage any tyre. Stick with what you have, keep an accurate speedo and odometer and keep a better eye out for potholes.

You know you can claim off the local authority for damage cause by their negligence?

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2192993/How-compensation-pothole-damage-car.html

First of all I didn't hit a pothole since the car hasn't arrived yet.

Secondly, I am worried more about overall comfort on uneven surfaces and long stretches of bad tarmac than potholes.

We don't have such facilities in Lebanon. If you hit a pothole, you're on your own.