In the process of ordering a new A3

rowansbank said:
To be honest, I just erred on the side of caution! What we should have done (and what you should do, I suggest) is insist on taking the demo car on 18s on some really carp roads - lots of potholes, truck grooves etc. and see if it's bearable. I didn't because the car was 'really' for my wife as main user and I didn't want to put her off it by shaking the fillings loose! On 17s ours is bearable on bad roads but not for too long!
Hope that makes sense.
Ah I see what you're saying, thanks. Just to add some context, is yours an SE, Sport or S-Line?

My driving is usually on normal roads, not too bad, so perhaps that is why I find the 18's bearable. But I trully believe there isn't much difference between 17 and 18 in terms of confort, if confort is an issue you will be better served with 16.

The best advice here is test drive the cars in the roads you will be driving and take your own conclusions.

Pedro

smee said:
Was that Robinsons? I have not had to have a service yet but they were pants when I went in to spec the car. got the impression that they were not interested because we were only looking at an A3!

Ah yes. The dealer that is Robinsons, or Norwich Audi as they should be called.

It is truly amazing that such an incompetent, arrogant bunch of idiots (sales team) actually keep their jobs. Such a superior lot - you feel like they are doing you a favour. Prats.

I had heard that most of them are ex-Bennetts sales staff. Maybe they haven't adjusted to the automotive market yet and are still trying to sell you a telly. Would explain a lot!

However, their service and parts boys are much better; their only redeeming feature...

newbiecrg said:
My driving is usually on normal roads, not too bad, so perhaps that is why I find the 18's bearable. But I trully believe there isn't much difference between 17 and 18 in terms of confort, if confort is an issue you will be better served with 16.
I appreciate what you're saying, although 16" wheels aren't a configurable option on the Sport variant.

Ah I see what you're saying, thanks. Just to add some context, is yours an SE, Sport or S-Line?

Should show below sig. but just in case it's a
2005 A3 Sport 3.2 Quattro DSG S-line Lava Grey

rowansbank said:
Should show below sig. but just in case it's a
2005 A3 Sport 3.2 Quattro DSG S-line Lava Grey
Apologies for this, I should have looked more carefully!:sorry:

Can anyone suggest any internet people who would give me a competitive quote for built-to-order? (i.e. something for the dealers to try and match)

Mr_P said:
Apologies for this, I should have looked more carefully!:sorry:

Can anyone suggest any internet people who would give me a competitive quote for built-to-order? (i.e. something for the dealers to try and match)

I used drivethedeal.co.uk, dealer matched that once they saw the evidence.

coast2coastcars.co.uk were good too.

cdb2 said:
I used drivethedeal.co.uk, dealer matched that once they saw the evidence. coast2coastcars.co.uk were good too.
Thanks, that's great.

The deal that came up for me seems pretty reasonable. So now I'm wondering, why wouldn't I go ahead and do a deal with them? What disadvantages do you think I should be aware of? Couldn't I get any issues sorted out by any approved service centre, or would I be stuck for ages having to get them sorted with the (possibly faraway) dealer who supplied it?

Mr_P said:
Thanks, that's great.

The deal that came up for me seems pretty reasonable. So now I'm wondering, why wouldn't I go ahead and do a deal with them? What disadvantages do you think I should be aware of? Couldn't I get any issues sorted out by any approved service centre, or would I be stuck for ages having to get them sorted with the (possibly faraway) dealer who supplied it?
Because they might not have a car available. Some of the other guys here were using jamjar.com and received delivery dates of December 2007.

At least with the dealer you know they have a build slot assigned to them and a fair idea of when the car will be available.

Chances are these guys take your order, go to a dealer and order the car - i.e. exactly what you can do yourself. Best to take the quote, go to your dealer and see if he'll match it.