In gear acceleration times

Simon

Reaction score
On the 'Old' site there was an extensive post on in-gear aceleration times - like A4 1.8t 70-90 in 5th, 16s etc

I don't suppose anyone kept any of that info?

Simon

Here are my times:

Ok,

Did some tests.
These results are for a standard 1998 S reg Audi S4 saloon with 50k miles.
All tests were perfomed on the flat, using Optimax (half tank) air-con on, engine warm,
no passengers and a 100kg driver (not sure if that makes a difference or not)

I did three speed ranges in 4th, 5th and 6th.
The tests were performed by staying at the lower speed for a few seconds, then hitting
the accelerator and the start button of the stop watch at the same time.
(again not sure if this makes any difference, but thought it was 'fairer' than accelerating
from a lower speed and hitting the start button when the speedo indicated the bottom end
of the speed range)

Anyway, here are the results:

Gear 4th Range 50-70 Time 4 seconds
Gear 5th Range 50-70 Time 5 seconds
Gear 6th Range 50-70 Time 6 seconds

Gear 4th Range 60-90 Time 6 seconds
Gear 5th Range 60-90 Time 7 seconds
Gear 6th Range 60-90 Time 9 seconds

Gear 4th Range 70-90 Time 4 seconds
Gear 5th Range 70-90 Time 5 seconds
Gear 6th Range 70-90 Time 6 seconds

All speeds in MPH (obviously not done on British roads)

Hope this is of some use.

Hi Simon,

I'm sure I have this somewhere. Will have a look.

What in particular where you looking for?

David

Simon,

Having read the Lamba probe thread I am guessing you are keen to see how your car is performing now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here are what I have for A4 1.8Ts.

A4 1.8T Car Magazine
30-50 9.1s
40-60 8.9s
50-70 9.5s
60-80 10.6s
70-90 11.9s

Standard A4 1.8T Sport (my figures, 2 up)
30-50 11s
40-60 11s
50-70 10s
60-80 10s
70-90 11s

AMD chipped A4 1.8T Sport (my figures, 2 up)
50-70 8s
60-80 9s
70-90 9.5s

A4 1.8T Sport with no boost! (my figures, 2 up)
30-50 13s
40-60 13s
50-70 15s
60-80 15s
70-90 19s

Hope this helps.

David

[ QUOTE ]
DJG said:

A4 1.8T Sport with no boost! (my figures, 2 up)

[/ QUOTE ]

No Boost. How did you manage that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DJG said:
A4 1.8T Sport with no boost! (

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh?? you remove the turbo or somehting? how'd you get 'real' figures of your not trying?

Rich

Ha, ha

I had a wastegate rod fail. Basically this leaves the wastegate stuck open, so you don't get any boost. It was fairly common on earlier cars (mine was a 96). Car drove fine except was sloooow. After getting some BS from the dealer I borrowed a colleague's car and measured the in gear times with his and then tried with mine. Big difference /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

New turbo under warranty sorted it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif My colleagues car had the same failure a few months later

Then a bit later had an AMD chip fitted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
David

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I'm still getting 16s 1 up

so I'm basically exactly where I was about four months ago! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Since that time it has had the throttle body re-aligned, and now the lambda sensor cleaned, and the boost checked.

what do I do next - Audi are ****** usless!!

Simon

Sorry to hear it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Did you get your car tested on a rolling road and have the power measured? Can't remember. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If I was you I would take a trip to someone like AMD who know the 1.8T engines inside out and see what they say.

David

Are C & R any good?

They're in Nottingham aren't they and should have seen plenty of 1.8Ts. Don't have any personal experience of them.

David

It's been to them also - they didn't seem that interested in finding out what was wrong with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Injector seals are next to be changed - its been on a rolling road, I asked for a power run and the boost checking, when I got back they said 'no problems with the boost it's doing exactly what it should' I aksed what the power oputput was - he said I don't know I didn't record it ????? wtf???

I was not happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm still not happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Very frustrating /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Did you mean you have already been to C & R, or AMD.

Would have thought AMD would have sorted it out for you.

If your car is taking 16s for 50-70 it must be way down on power. Surprised nothing gross shows up on a VAGCom or even on a standard Bosch analyser.

Come on boys someone must have some ideas.

Crafty?

David

16s is for 70-90,but it is still 5s to slow.

It is C&R it's been to - if I had gone to AMD I am sure I wouldn't have left without a chip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

anyway I think I am going to get it sorted and get it sold - another Skyline is calling.......................

Simon

use Vag com or something similar to check for error codes.
it maybe a MAF or overboosting intermitently and therfore dropping into limp mode. u haven't played with the N75 or wastegate rod ?

it's been on VAG-Com, no errors found.

Other than a forge DV - which was fitted in another attempt to resolve this problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif the engine entirely standard.

MAF has also been cleaned.

it's not like limp mode becuase it still performs well, I can light up the front tyres if I choose too (18's)

There are times when it feels better than others though......

I'll get the injector seals changed over and see if that makes a difference I remember reading something on Audi-world about early A4 sufferign from a problem with them.

Simon

Being 5s slower 70-90 does not sound like performing well to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sorry!

I know you have had the boost checked, but your problem sounds exactly like what my car felt like when the wastegate rod failed.

My car drove fine, but fine for a normally aspirated 1.8 (125 BHP), not fine for a 1.8T (150 BHP).

It actually took weeks for me to get this sorted. For ages I convinced myself that I had just got used to the car's performance. It took driving my car and another identical 1.8T back to back to realise something was seriously wrong.

I really wish we could find you a solution.

A morning at AMD would sort it....

David

do few runs with Vag-com logging,, record things like 114 & 115 maybe.. MAF flow would also be good I think it is something like 002.
Then check the figures against another similar one.
also check op of N75 valve if this is faulty etc.. then it can lead to surge tyre problems or low boost.
good luck

well at this point in time I am going to change the injector seals on saturday - and give the injectors a clean, see what effect that has, I'll have a look at the DV also just to see if that is still okay.

other than that I'm pretty much stumped!

I may well end up taking that trip to AMD - but it does feel a bit like it's defeated me - which is annoying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Simon

I've used vag-com on my car to log a couple of plots. It was to try and match up with other S2 owners. I plan on doing them again with a flat straight piece of road and working out how much bigger wheels will affect the data.

16192-30%20to%2070%20log.jpg

16192-0%20to%20110%20log.jpg

Dougal

Someone always has to show off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Simon