In desperate need of mechanical advice. (Make me love my a3)

Leeseager

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Coming to the end of my patience with my car now.

The problem i have is that the car won't start when it is warm( 2.0l fsi 2004).

so far i've had the camshaft sensor done twice, the cranksgaft sensor and the coolant temperature sensor. The car is fine from cold start except it idles a little rough. At one point it wouldn't start at all until i replaced my camshaft sensor. The timing has also been done and is fine. The only code that has ever come up was camshaft sensor.

Any advice will help

Starter and batter may be suspect.But if you keep clearing that single code, it points to it.

I don't own vagcom so i can't test for exact codes and i also have limited knowledge as this is my first car.

Also when it came up with the cam sensor fault it would not clear, that's why i replaced it again because i thought the sensor may have been faulty. I think maybe the ecu is fried?

Have you checked the HPFP cam follower and it's camshaft lobe?

Have you checked the HPFP cam follower and it's camshaft lobe?

i would have no idea how to check these myself. Would the symptoms of not starting when engine temperature be from this?

Assume it's turning over quick on the starter?

usually takes a few seconds to start from cold which is pretty normal?

Is it turning at the same speed when warm? Only the starters are not unknown to go slow when hot, but I think this would affect a diesel engine more than a petrol which would catch at a slower speed.

Is it turning at the same speed when warm? Only the starters are not unknown to go slow when hot, but I think this would affect a diesel engine more than a petrol which would catch at a slower speed.
I will check this when i get it back, has been away from me for 8 weeks and no solution :(

if the engine feels like its miss firing or slow start almost like it hunts maybe then that would be a carbon build up issues otherwise as other have stated it would be the starter... but honestly mate check the map on the forum for members near you for a VCDS for bear tokens and atleast you can log the blocks and check for faults which would clear the air for you as to what you actually need to have to it