In Car Internet

Suipedali

Reaction score
I use a seperate SIM card from my phone to access my 'online' services such as traffic info, flight times etc etc. I've tried connecting my iphone to use Carplay, but at best this is flakey so I no longer bother.

I noticed while in the car yesterday that my iphone shows a wifi connection to "Audi 188...." Would I be right in thinking this is the SIM installed in the car? Now the stupid question. When I tried to join wifi network it asked for a password, would this be an Audi generated password or the password I use to access the SIM account online to see my monthly bill etc? Once again apologies for my ignorance.

you can set the password via the mmi, but please be aware that this will require you to purchase a data plan to use the in car wifi :(

I already have a seperate SIM card installed. Isn't that adequate?

the only thing I believe is that the separate sim will also be used instead of the built in sim for google maps , audi connect data instead of the embedded sim that in my case is valid till 2020.

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but annoyed that all car data would also use my sim.

so I decided to just switch on my personal hotspot in the car (phone plugged in for car play) as I have a all you can eat data plan on that. ..

shame they have done it this way :(

the only thing I believe is that the separate sim will also be used instead of the built in sim for google maps , audi connect data instead of the embedded sim that in my case is valid till 2020.

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but annoyed that all car data would also use my sim.

so I decided to just switch on my personal hotspot in the car (phone plugged in for car play) as I have a all you can eat data plan on that. ..

shame they have done it this way :(
I'd like to just plug in and use my car play, but it's so unreliable.

Reactions: zippster
I'd like to just plug in and use my car play, but it's so unreliable.

mine suddenly got much more reliable when I did iOS 11.3 (seem to fix the reverse camera issues)

im running mmi 0917 but I believe there is now 1118 although im a little reluctant to update when I go in for my first service

As a rule they won't upgrade the MMI at service unless there's an issue they've been told to upgrade it for.

+1 on CarPlay being lots better since iOS 11.3

If you use your own sim card there is a slot for it in the front of the glovebox mmi unit...

I set mine up so that when I get in the car (identified through a bluetooth connection), my phone becomes a hotspot, the car connects to that for all data etc. Works great. Am I right that on newer models the car cannot connect to wifi?

Upon leaving the car, my hotspot turns off to preserve phone battery. I'm using Android and Tasker for the automation.

I think it is earlier models that can't as they, and mine, don't have the sos module

If you have a MY16 or earlier car (without an embedded data SIM), it can act as a Wi-Fi Client - so can connect to your phones hotspot just fine and use that for data for all car functions.

MY17 and onwards disabled the Wi-Fi client feature, and instead moved to a Wi-Fi hotspot, where you can only connect to the cars access point, which as all of you say requires some form of data plan to enable.

I too have a love/hate relationship with CarPlay and just like the polish of the MMI interface over the CarPlay one. More still now I have wireless charging there is no need to dig out and plug cables in.
I had tried an external SIM for a short time with tethering my phone to it for Amazon Music and Internet Radio and it worked fine, but still not enough for me to shell out on a monthly plan to tether my phone for it.

I generally just start whatever content I wish to listen to on my phone before setting off (typically Audible Audiobooks). I *might* enable CarPlay if there is something I need to switch during my commute, but not often.

Reactions: zippster
Just to add in i've found CarPlay very reliable too although perhaps it does depend to an extent on what apps your trying to use on it. Should add i'm using latest IOS11 release and also had my MMI updated by my dealer to the latest version (to fix an issue with Sat Nav POI's) so that may have helped too...

I know what you mean, I like the mmi interface but got fed up with it intermittent reading my Apple music playlists ..

But what sold me on CarPlay is iMessage and whAtsaaaappp integration.. ****** brilliant it just works and Siri works perfectly too using Audi mic..

I can live without album art and my telephone button being redundant (big annoyance) as the ability to read and send messages from CarPlay is flawless ..and I’m convinced music sounds better via CarPlay too

I know what you mean, I like the mmi interface but got fed up with it intermittent reading my Apple music playlists ..

But what sold me on CarPlay is iMessage and whAtsaaaappp integration.. ****** brilliant it just works and Siri works perfectly too using Audi mic..

I can live without album art and my telephone button being redundant (big annoyance) as the ability to read and send messages from CarPlay is flawless ..and I’m convinced music sounds better via CarPlay too

If you also turn on allow Siri while locked, you can use Siri completely hands free. No need to push the button.
IMG 1549

Agreed music is much better quality through wired CarPlay than wirelessly through BlueTooth. Bluetooth is less sharp, some minor distortion, digital artefacts etc. Im guessing BT has more compression of the audio signal. And this comparison is based on the exact same source tracks from downloaded Spotify tracks on my iphone

Reactions: WesT-gefül
MY17 and onwards disabled the Wi-Fi client feature, and instead moved to a Wi-Fi hotspot, where you can only connect to the cars access point, which as all of you say requires some form of data plan to enable.
Sorry if I've misunderstood but are you saying that on a MY18 car you can turn the embedded sim (which obviously has data with a valid Audi Connect subscription) into an internet wifi spotspot so that you can for example connect your laptop to the car's wifi system for internet access? Otherwise I'm guessing the embedded sim only provides data for the car's internal functions (eg google earth on sat nav) and you need to insert your own data sim to turn add wifi hotspot functionality to Audi Connect.

Sorry if I've misunderstood but are you saying that on a MY18 car you can turn the embedded sim (which obviously has data with a valid Audi Connect subscription) into an internet wifi spotspot so that you can for example connect your laptop to the car's wifi system for internet access? Otherwise I'm guessing the embedded sim only provides data for the car's internal functions (eg google earth on sat nav) and you need to insert your own data sim to turn add wifi hotspot functionality to Audi Connect.

Sorry should have clarified that some more. Yes on MY17 onwards you can use the embedded SIM as a Wi-fi hotspot (not 100% sure if this is a Tech Pack only function?), however a data package / additional charge applies for this. You can see prices by connecting a device to the car Wi-Fi, or Navigating to the Audi Connect section on the MMI.
It's usually cheaper to purchase a data SIM from your favourite mobile operator and insert this vs. paying for the embedded SIM data package.

Reactions: psychopomp1
This is correct and the only way to do so is to purchase a data plan from cubic telecom who manage the built in sim. From myaudi, connect, wifi and data plan service:

"Use the ‘Wi-Fi hotspot and Data Plans’ service to add a dedicated WiFi hotspot to your vehicle. It is very straightforward, without further configuration or a workshop appointment!

Our partner provides extensive network coverage and LTE speed at affordable plan prices across Europe. You will be redirected to our partner website to sign up for a plan. If you agree to your data being transferred to our partner, you will not have to enter your data again.

Additional plans or extensions of existing plans can be easily purchased from the MMI in your vehicle."

Thanks for cla
Sorry should have clarified that some more. Yes on MY17 onwards you can use the embedded SIM as a Wi-fi hotspot (not 100% sure if this is a Tech Pack only function?), however a data package / additional charge applies for this. You can see prices by connecting a device to the car Wi-Fi, or Navigating to the Audi Connect section on the MMI.
It's usually cheaper to purchase a data SIM from your favourite mobile operator and insert this vs. paying for the embedded SIM data package.

Thanks, so to clarify: once you activate Audi Connect for 3 months/years on a My18 car - which is free as things stand - the data on the embedded sim will be free for the car's own functions only. To use data externally (eg create wifi hotspot) you will need an additional subscription (paid).

Thanks, so to clarify: once you activate Audi Connect for 3 months/years on a My18 car - which is free as things stand - the data on the embedded sim will be free for the car's own functions only. To use data externally (eg create wifi hotspot) you will need an additional subscription (paid).

Exactly :)