In a predicament...

Jay_Jordan

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Im new to the forum and this will be my first thread post and it will be a little bit of a long one. Since Novemeber ive been test driving new cars to decide what my new car will be.

So far ive test driven (ill keep the detail to a minimum barring the RS3):

- Merc A45 AMG w/Aero pack etc - Blisteringly quick but suspsension and comfort was ****** horrendous and looks wise... well lets just say its no Scarlett Johansson imo.

- BMW m140i, 240i and M4 (I had the first two in the same day and the sales guy then took me out in his demo M4) As much as I absolutely loved the engine (and boy what an engine that Turbocharged 3.0L flat 6 is) and the happy back end, the interior felt cheap and general quality was no where near to what I was used to in the Audi Interiors and I think the price reflected this. Out of the 1 and 2 series I much preferred the 2's coupe styling and generally just looked the better car. Aslo where I live RWD is pretty much useless.

- Audi S3 FL Saloon - This was Panther Black fully loaded (SuperSports, MMI, Pan Roof, Virtual Cockpit S-Tronic etc). Firstly I have to say what they've done to the gearbox in the facelift is a miracle, ive been in a friends 15Plate S3 saloon and it is so much more jumpier (doesnt know what gear to pick half the time). Was really impressed with how much smoother the power delivery and the throttle response was as well compared to the pre-FL. Comfortablity was great as it had the mag suspension as standard with the 19" alloys as well as the Supersport seats. Overall I really did like the Saloon as a whole package but its still missing something special.... like a 5pot.

- Audi RS3 8V- Nardo Grey with almost all options. Ever since these cars started production back at the beginning of 2015 ive said I wanted one. So come the test drive this really was like :sign omg:.
Now having test driven the previous version and being in a few TTRS' i was already suited to the noise that came from a 5 pot... and as this had the Sports Exhaust as well, I knew it was going to be a fun 30 minute test drive. Off we go, first thing I notice is how much better everything is from its 8P brother also named 'Understeer', I know this is an obvious statement but it really has taken the 8P's worst bits and really improved on those, good that they listen to the consumers I suppose. I was truly shocked at how efficient the car felt below 4500 RPM in terms of fuel consumption and how capable of a daily driver it was. It only takes 2 minutes from the dealership to reach the A11 at Fourwentways. Time was 1:30PM so there was no traffic, perfect time to test the performance of the car :yes: WOW is all i could say as I came off the slip road to merge, this thing is an absolute pocket rocket and the sound beyond 4500 is an absolute treat. The route I went on also had some really nice backroads which really did test the suspension and not once did I feel uncomfortable or tense.... okay maybe a tiny bit when i threw the car over the brow of a hill, but even so the grip on this car was crazy (Im used to the quattro in my TT but this things another level) and with it being a RARE dry day in the UK, it meant I really could enjoy the car. We get back to the dealership and I was pretty much ready to sign pen and paper and started to talk about what deals we could put together, they then tell me that the car had sold literally the day before, so I was pretty bummed to say the least.

Eever since ive been keeping my eye open and looking at what the prices are doing. Im trying to not go overkill on my deposit as im trying to save for other things as well. Ive seen a coupe lurking about but none that have the options that I want which explains the price of some of them. Do I wait for the RS3 Saloon to test drive as I really did like the saloon, or do I just go sod it and get the Sportback.

Sorry for the long thread but i am just so confused as what to do... hoping you 'non-biased' guys and gals:haha: can help me make a decision.

Cheers,

J

Reactions: Bristle Hound, RSS-S3, Scottyg and 1 other person
Very good write up and interesting about the A45 as I was going to test it about a month ago but never got round to it. Why not wait for the new saloon or the FL SB because you will be paying top money for a used one atm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jay_Jordan
Very good write up and interesting about the A45 as I was going to test it about a month ago but never got round to it. Why not wait for the new saloon or the FL SB because you will be paying top money for a used one atm.

Cheers, I didn't want to go in to too much detail regarding the other selections, but yes the AMG A45 was on point if you want something you can throw into corners and have a play with here and there, not so much a daily driver in my personal opinion but each to their own :wink:!

Im not in any rush to jump cars but as much as I love 'Tattiana' the TT I'm bored of it even if it is great for the time being.

Much to ponder over... if i had a spare 10k about I would definitely look at getting a second hand RS6/ a new M3 or maybe even a Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio :yes:

J

Testing the AMG? I thought you had a deposit on the new RS3 RVP - you know, the one coming in the next few months?!
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Terminator x and Jassyo06
There is someone in a similar predicament on another forum with the concensus of opinion being get a Sportback and enjoy it now!

It depends what you want - the present model is great with performance and road handling that will be good in years to come. The face lift will give you the integrated screen and slightly more power from the redesigned engine. For me, the integrated screen is something I have been waiting for since my first satnav in 1994! The extra power is minimal, maybe point something of a second - but let's face it, does anyone worry that much when 0-100 is under 5 seconds?

Trouble is, and it will be my dilemma, having paid high for the 8V, will I want to see an inevitable drop when the facelift appears?

You are right about the A45 - Mercedes I am afraid do not have any concept of sport until you delve into the true AMG products, the GT and DTM cars. Outside of these the AMG badge is stuck on the cars that they have stuffed a lot of extra grunt and noise under the bonnet. OK, a few also had 4matic added, but only a few. I say this with experience having been a loyal Mercedes 'AMG' buyer since 1994 until I discovered the RS3!

Your choice! But the facelift is not that far away...

Reactions: jimojameso and Jay_Jordan
There is someone in a similar predicament on another forum with the concensus of opinion being get a Sportback and enjoy it now!

It depends what you want - the present model is great with performance and road handling that will be good in years to come. The face lift will give you the integrated screen and slightly more power from the redesigned engine. For me, the integrated screen is something I have been waiting for since my first satnav in 1994! The extra power is minimal, maybe point something of a second - but let's face it, does anyone worry that much when 0-100 is under 5 seconds?

Trouble is, and it will be my dilemma, having paid high for the 8V, will I want to see an inevitable drop when the facelift appears?

You are right about the A45 - Mercedes I am afraid do not have any concept of sport until you delve into the true AMG products, the GT and DTM cars. Outside of these the AMG badge is stuck on the cars that they have stuffed a lot of extra grunt and noise under the bonnet. OK, a few also had 4matic added, but only a few. I say this with experience having been a loyal Mercedes 'AMG' buyer since 1994 until I discovered the RS3!

Your choice! But the facelift is not that far away...
Thanks for your view on this Hal, I think as I'm not in a rush I will just leave it until I at least get to see the RS3 saloon in the flesh, have to say being a programmer I love all things tech and gadgets wise so I'm definitely with you on the virtual cockpit stuff :grimacing:!

Completely agree with your statement about the Mercedes AMG branding, Shame really cause I think they could make something special!

I'm shocked they'd let you go out for a 30 minute test drive in a car they'd already sold to someone else? Seems a bit dodgy and if I'd agreed to buy it, I'd be asking questions as to why it had more miles on it when I came to collect it. There must have been more to it than that?

Reactions: Ozmosis, jimojameso and Swipe18
I thought exactly the same .... 30 minute 'rag' of a car they had just sold !!???

If that were my car I'd go nuts if I found out !

RS3 is awesome though mate .... hunt one down :yes:

Reactions: Ozmosis, Jay_Jordan, jimojameso and 1 other person
The RS3 would be my choice, i was taken out in one and i was so impressed with it and the noise is superb.

Testing the AMG? I thought you had a deposit on the new RS3 RVP - you know, the one coming in the next few months?!
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Like I said a month or so ago before I left a deposit with the dealer. I've always wanted a go in one too.

I was given a test drive of an F80 M3 that was sold, it was sold with the condition they still let me test drive it as they had booked me in for weeks, it was used and had 5,000 but he still paid full price for it!!!
That was when they were new and wanted 9k deposit and £1,000 per month!! Now they are giving them away.
Personally getting back in my M135i I felt the M3 didn't offer much more on day to day road use rather than looks and badge snobbery.
As for the A45 the throttle and gearbox response is way slower than the RS3, it was frustrating in the end the laggy responses of the A45, way prefer my RS3 to my A45.
As for the now or wait.
The pros of waiting are:

1) new product

2) slight general improvements over the SB

Cons of waiting:

1) nobody knows when first deliverys will be, if the SB is anything to go by you could easily wait a year for an RS3 saloon

2) the used cars have all done a good chunk of depreciating

3) you get it now!!

Reactions: jimojameso, Scottyg and Jay_Jordan
I'm shocked they'd let you go out for a 30 minute test drive in a car they'd already sold to someone else? Seems a bit dodgy and if I'd agreed to buy it, I'd be asking questions as to why it had more miles on it when I came to collect it. There must have been more to it than that?

Long story short the sales guy I dealt with had been away I think and hadn't been told about the sale by his senior sales manager and by the time we had gone out and come back the sales manager was pretty much waiting for us to get back. Nothing came of it in the end, no harm done, so dont think the customer was bothered by an extra 8-10 miles, im fairly certain they take them out to drive on the day before collection sometimes as well just to make sure there is no last minute maintenance they need to do.

But I would be exactly the same really if id bought car I wouldnt want them to touch it other than clean the ****** for me to then pick up :wink:

I think this is the best value for money RS3 ive seen so far and its pretty much the spec I want (Barring the hideous yellow calipers) anyone in the North Yorkshire area or know of GC Motors ??
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/audi/rs3/audi-rs3-2-5-tfsi-sportback-s-tronic-quattro-5dr/6703390

Ive also seen a lovely Nardo, but its got silver supers rather than black which is a must for me as I really have had a horrible experience with silver seats in the past with my R32 :sadlike:
I got mine for 35k :) off Audi

I think this is the best value for money RS3 ive seen so far and its pretty much the spec I want (Barring the hideous yellow calipers) anyone in the North Yorkshire area or know of GC Motors ??
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/audi/rs3/audi-rs3-2-5-tfsi-sportback-s-tronic-quattro-5dr/6703390

Ive also seen a lovely Nardo, but its got silver supers rather than black which is a must for me as I really have had a horrible experience with silver seats in the past with my R32 :sadlike:

Your link appears to be for the nardo/silver rather than the first one?

Looks like it had the crappier sat-nav screen so you didn't want that one anyway!
Yeah didnt want it anyway :whistle2:

Lovely looking one just outside of Dartford in Bexley only about an hours drive for me, bit on the upper side of my budget.

See Attachment

Attachments

• 7504575417.jpg
    7504575417.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 160
No Dynamic Pack which is a must and is making that difficult to sell...it's been around for a while.

No Dynamic Pack which is a must and is making that difficult to sell...it's been around for a while.
It did have dynamic pack ? Says in first line of description, look at second link not the first one as the Nardo hasnt got it :) Sorry about the confusion

Ah, I was referring to the Nardo at Bexley!

Reactions: Jay_Jordan
Welcome along @Jay_Jordan

I know that area well, you did drive down Six Mile Bottom on the way back though?? Love that road although it's been a good 17 years since I last drove it.

I'd agree with a few above who have said go get one now. The Saloon is yet to start production from what others have said it different threads. So you could be 12-18 months from a new car, provided you manage to get a build slot.

Was in booking my car in for service in Hamilton this morning and saw this one.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611139713609?atmobcid=soc3

They also have a Floret Silver one on the forecourt.
Good luck with your hunt.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Welcome along @Jay_Jordan

I know that area well, you did drive down Six Mile Bottom on the way back though?? Love that road although it's been a good 17 years since I last drove it.

I'd agree with a few above who have said go get one now. The Saloon is yet to start production from what others have said it different threads. So you could be 12-18 months from a new car, provided you manage to get a build slot.

Was in booking my car in for service in Hamilton this morning and saw this one.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611139713609?atmobcid=soc3

They also have a Floret Silver one on the forecourt.
Good luck with your hunt.
Thanks for the warm welcome, I can already tell the pool of knowledge on here is deep and come the time to sell my TT I think there will definitely be a case to sell it on here, already seen a few wanted posts where people are looking for my sort of specced TT, so thats an added bonus :)

Yes it is indeed that route through Little Wilbraham as well, Cracking route for testing a car.

The RS3 Saloon build date is annoying me as it seems they keep moving it further and further back, I hope the same doesn't happen to this as what happened to the new TTRS, As I think it will be a cracking car.

I did previously have a look at the one you put a link to, the only thing is no Super sport seats, which for me is a MUST :yes: I really do like Daytona as a colour as its on my current TT, however I have pretty much decided that I want to go down the Nardo/Black/Floret Route in that order of preference as I want a change.

Thanks for looking out though, will hopefully get things sorted in the next month or so, but as stated in OP im not in that much of a rush, which is a good thing as it means i have plenty of time to find 'the one' :)

J

Reactions: jimojameso and Scottyg
New or Used, Spec ??, Mileage ??, Location ?? :tearsofjoy:
Used, Ipswich Audi, 18,000 miles, it's not mega spec but got all my essentials like dynamic pack with sports exhaust and B&O, storage pack etc

Used, Ipswich Audi, 18,000 miles, it's not mega spec but got all my essentials like dynamic pack with sports exhaust and B&O, storage pack etc
Thats not bad at all mate, for me it has to have the following at least: Dynamic Pack w/Sports Exhaust, B&O, Supersport Seats, The Newer MMI(Newer Nav etc).
Things like the pan roof would be nice but can live without it in the UK I think. Also the Assisted driver stuff barring Parking sensors and ACC can sod off.

Your not in a predicament if your willing to wait just like me....my advice is wait 8/9 months and get the new RS3 Saloon...the new face lift A3 has left the existing one looking rather dated and that includes my own S3 and the RS3, but that's just down to the circle of life with cars,and the existing used RS3 stock is rather poor pickings....actually bunch of left overs really,think with yer brain and not with yer heart
A screensaver rs3 saloon
Audi rs3 sedan livepics paris 9
Audi rs3 price madness

PS...that RS3 DEMO...aye Demo.....was a fiver off £50,000 .....you'll get a new RS3 Saloon with £3000 of extras for that price,plus a 5% lower APR

Last edited:
Reactions: RSS-S3, D0C, Jay_Jordan and 2 others
But what will 3k get you? To get the virtual cockpit you need advanced technology pack, to get the sports exhaust you need dynamic pack, there's 3k gone.
And once the saloon hits our shores the current RS3 will drop in price to be more attractive to buyers. That's also a very expensive used car example, like I said I bought mine under a year old with a few must have options for 35k off Audi that's a fair wack of depreciation already done, if I'd banked with Halifax and stuck a bigger deposit down I could have got under 4% APR aswell through halifax used car PCP, oracle and other places will also easily beat Audi used finance.

Reactions: Scottyg
Thats not bad at all mate, for me it has to have the following at least: Dynamic Pack w/Sports Exhaust, B&O, Supersport Seats, The Newer MMI(Newer Nav etc).
Things like the pan roof would be nice but can live without it in the UK I think. Also the Assisted driver stuff barring Parking sensors and ACC can sod off.
Yeah the one option I swore I'd hold out for was super sport seats, unfortunately one would come up with SS seats and sports exhaust but no B&O, then one would come up with B&O and SS seats but no sports exhaust lol
I'm rarely in my car for more than 20-30 mins at a time so options don't really mean much to me, in the end I gave up looking for the perfect car and decided the sports exhaust was really the only option I 'needed' the rest would be a bonus

Reactions: Scottyg and Jay_Jordan
the new face lift A3 has left the existing one looking rather dated

Other than the headlights I really can't see much difference myself . . . Lol

You'll be well into £50k for a facelift RS3 with the right bits and who knows how long you'll have to wait.

Get yourself an 'old' model mate, £40k tops will get you a nice late/low mileage example with the right spec if you keep your eyes peeled

Reactions: Scottyg and Jay_Jordan
Other than the headlights I really can't see much difference myself . . . Lol

You'll be well into £50k for a facelift RS3 with the right bits and who knows how long you'll have to wait.

Get yourself an 'old' model mate, £40k tops will get you a nice late/low mileage example with the right spec if you keep your eyes peeled
Love the Riviera on that A6 of yours :yes:! Tbf I don't see much difference myself I just really like the idea of the saloon...

I think Jassy makes a fair point about the APR and waiting for new as you'll have the dogs dangly's with the new tech + stuff, but I think your spot on about the pricing, by the time you've specced a few things your looking at £50k+ which is RS6 territory :fearscream:

Finally similarly to Spack I've been offered a great PCP rate with my bank Barclays and other lenders, definitely not going through Audi Finance as they're a joke.

Everyones raised some fantastic points in this thread so far and its helped me out massively, I think I have some decisions to make in the next few weeks or so and annoyingly a lot of money will be coming out of my account next week as I have to pay off the rest of a holiday with the Mrs. :sweat:

Reactions: Scottyg
The blue pic above of the current model looks great. Dated you say :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Beebee-one and Scottyg
I'm thinking of selling my 16 plate Mythos black With 5500 miles if you're interested?

I'm thinking of selling my 16 plate Mythos black With 5500 miles if you're interested?

Looks absolutely spot on :grimacing: just had a read through your post when you got the car, 9% off is crazy, I think id be lucky to get 3-4% where I am :tearsofjoy:
When are you looking to sell, take it your in no rush at all?

The main issue I have with the new one ........ whenever it makes an appearance is going to be the price and new tax rules !

£500 notes a year in car tax is a bitter pill to swallow as is the 1st year registration at £1,500

Factor in a price rise of say £2k plus new extras like virtual cockpit and I would be looking at an increase of circa £5k vs. what I paid this time last year.

If they don't fix the squeaky brakes I will not be buying another one regardless anyway ...... as superb as the car is, the brakes issue is very annoying and I aint fitting after market brakes (on a virtually new car) at my cost or invalidating my warranty either.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Jassyo06 and Jay_Jordan
Come on TX
It does look good and the car isn't dated ***. 99% of the population wouldn't even spot a facelift if you pointed it out to them.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Beebee-one
Looks absolutely spot on :grimacing: just had a read through your post when you got the car, 9% off is crazy, I think id be lucky to get 3-4% where I am :tearsofjoy:
When are you looking to sell, take it your in no rush at all?

I'm in no particular rush but if I decide to sell I would want it gone in the next couple of months. Message me if you need any more info. It does have all the options you were after.