Improving ride comfort on A3 Sportback 1.4TFSI Sport (Not S Line)

DG2278

Reaction score
Hello,

Been looking for info on this topic online for a while a thought i'd register here to see if anyone can help

Car is an 2016 A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Sport and i am finding that the ride is too harsh, with even small bumps being very noticeable . I would like more comfort and to prioritise ride quality over performance, even if this is not what this trim was originally designed for.

I believe the Sport model i have is fitted with a lower, firmer suspension setup than the SE but not as low/firm as the S line. The car has 17inch wheels

I have seen many topics regarding how to improve ride on the s-line, but none specifically to the sport model and it's (kind of) sporty suspension set up.

Has anyone else experienced this and made modifications to the A3 Sportback to improve ride comfort on a sport trim specifically?
Would changing to 16in wheels improve things?
Is there an aftermarket suspension set up i can add that will improve comfort vs the standard sport trim suspension?

I can see there is lots of knowledge on this forum so any help with any of my questions would be much appreciated

Thank you :)

You are right that SE -> Sport -> S-Line in order of softness to increasing firmness.

There will be aftermarket coilovers eg Bilstein and several threads on those.

Given the age of your car, are the current shock absorbers still OK and not leaking? They don’t last as long nowadays - whether that’s down to worse roads or some economies of design I don’t know, but get crashy when they leak.

You are right that SE -> Sport -> S-Line in order of softness to increasing firmness.

There will be aftermarket coilovers eg Bilstein and several threads on those.

Given the age of your car, are the current shock absorbers still OK and not leaking? They don’t last as long nowadays - whether that’s down to worse roads or some economies of design I don’t know, but get crashy when they leak.
Car has been into Audi for service last 2 years and they did not mention any issues with the shocks.

Due for service again in March so i can ask them to check them specifically

I will do more research on the aftermarket products and read through the other threads. I don't mind spending money if it provides superior comfort. (No air suspension or anything crazy expensive though) Car is a long term keeper so don't mind spending a bit to get the feel i (and the family.) wants

Addition: Looking specifically now at the Koni special active dampers. Have read good things on the board about them being a good middle ground between comfort and performance.

If anyone has any experience with how these affected ride quality on a sport trim (or an S line for comparison) would love to hear it

I had an 8P SE with 16" it was very comfy but wallowed a fair bit round corners.
I had an A1 S Line with 17" and it was so harsh and unpleasant it went straight back.
I've got an 8V S Line with Sport and 18" and I was dreading it but its just wonderful. Composed over most surfaces and a joy to corner.
Could be your shocks/springs are failing. Also try running the lowest recommended tyre pressure to double check.

The Koni Special Active dampers would be my recommendation matched with either the standard springs or the Eibach Pro springs.

Drop us a PM if we can be any help with info or prices.

Damian @ DPM Performance

The Koni Special Active dampers would be my recommendation matched with either the standard springs or the Eibach Pro springs.

Damian @ DPM Performance
Perfect thanks for the info and will do

Damian @ DPM Performance
Unless i'm being stupid i am unable to send PMs. Please can you PM me when you get a moment and we can discuss. Thank you