Improving handling on A3

CJA318T

Reaction score
morning all,

enjoying my new 18's on my car but would like to sharpen up the handling. loads of info on ARB's on here, but what's the difference between ARB's and strut brace? What single handling/suspension thing would make the biggest handling improvement?

rock on!

A strut brace isnt something that would produce a noticable difference on the A3 Chassis, and its £80 you don't need to spend.
A strut brace basically stengthens up the chassis by joining the two struts.

An ARB however does this as well as balancing out the damping rate between the two springs.

Eibach make pretty much the best FWD A3/VW Mk4 based ARB's and they improve the handling massively.

However, if your car is completely standard except the 18" wheels I would look at replacing the suspension with new dampers and springs before you do anything else. That will make the biggest difference.

All depending on budget really mate.

Ive got the H&R Cup kit on mine really happy with how it looks handling is improved but could still be better. Im going to try a set of H&R ARB'S.

My advice is to get some decent shocks on and take it from there!

Jason

less than £150...ideally less than £100. i appreciate that probably anything less than that will do ****** all...just curious if there are any cheap fixes!

cheers

Nothing is going to improve handling for less than £100 to £150.

You'd be looking at £450-500 for a decent suspension setup at least, and then £250 for the ARB kit.

If you havnt got that much budget you shouldnt of got those wheels really, Remap should have been the first thing if your on a budget.

Just to let you know a decent remap will set you back £500......

Get saving :D

Jason

couldn't resist the wheels as i got them for a complete bargain off ebay...god bless ebay!

hardcore saving and revo here i come!

I've got an A3, and I've had a Koni Sport Kit, front and rear Eibach ARB's and Poly bushes fitted to mine, and to say it handles better is an understatement. Add in a remap, and the car is just completely different. The handling is surgical

Lowering it, is the first step to improving handling on an A3, as it lowers the center of gravity, the ARBs shocks and strut braces complements a setup, depends on your driving style and how hard you push it tbh.

I would recommend just lowering it on standard shocks if you are on a budget, of course I'm sure someone here will pop along soon and tell you that the standard shocks etc. are crap and ARBs make a difference... that's mega money to you in my opinion... just lower it, and enjoy it until you have saved enough money to buy yourself the S3 you are after, then spend spend spend!!! :cool:

I was on a budget at the time and lowered mine on standard shocks and picked up sum jamex springs off ebay for £60ish including p&p.

This did improve the handling alot but I will state that now I do wish I had saved abit harder and upgraded the shocks at the same times. Ive seen budget shocks and springs for £150ish on ebay and it cost me £90 cash in hand for fitting.:) Its worth saving that little harder.