Improve ride help to save marriage!

czm

Reaction score
Ok I have fitted some TEIN SS coilovers to my wifes A4 1.8T Avant.

I really wanted to keep a decent ride as it’s the family kiddy carrier and grocery getter.
I have set them up with the comfort dampening setting (soft rather than the track stiffer setup) but dialled them in pretty low. Rears fully wound down and front with some tuck

Anyways the wifey is complaining that the ride is horrible and too bouncy. Other than telling her to grid it and deal with it (which I am far to scared to do btw!!!)
What would be my best bet in trying to improve the ride?

Would raising it (goes completely against my nature) help with the ride quality help?
Would stiffening up the dampening settings make it less bouncy and more like the stock ride?

Any advice to save my marriage and keep the coilovers would be great!!

Ps running 18 x 7.5j RS6 5 spoke OEM alloys with 225/40/18 falken 452’s

i recon what ever you do she wont have any of it

Reactions: DieselJake
Fitting coilovers to your wifes car was an inspired decision?!

Have you driven the car before and after? What do you think it feels like in comparison. It could just be she simply had it in her head that whatever you fitted would be worse and is sticking with that regardless?

Play the trump card that with this suspension the car will actually handle better in emergency situations thus your children are now travelling in a safer vehicle?

I assume the benefits of having a wife are somewhat better than having a car with a ride she doesn't like? If I were you, and wanted to keep the lady, I'd be doing whatever she wanted. As has been said - "Fitting coilovers to your wifes car was an inspired decision?!"

I guess you agreed this move with her before you did it?

Me, I think you're on a sticky wicket.

Then again, keep the car and change the lady.

Or maybe not - seeing as how you want to save your marriage.

Good luck. Let us know. :) Mike

Could just go back fully stock, always found it the most comfortable suspension. Never met a woman with coilovers, as Bez said it'll be a typical wife response either way haha

i recon what ever you do she wont have any of it

Yeah kinda think Im on a hiding to nothing :)

She has agreed to try and get used to is as long as I promise to raise it up and a coudple of inches....
Such a shame cause just ot here looking they way I hoped (the car not the wife...)

What ever you do. She wont be happy!
Blag her. Tell you have done somethink. Placeibo effect mgt work lol.

Lower it further then take measurement with her looking then say you'll raise it up (the amount you've lowered it). Show her the new raised measurement once complete (back to how you wanted it originally) and Job done!

Bet if you hadn't told her you'd fiddled with her car she'd never have noticed.

Next time don't be so honest.

Go pretend to change it back to how it was.

Yes lifting it will fix, perhaps between sport setting and where you now have it will be a good compomise

IMG_0197_zpsf4232916.jpg

One word:

WOW!

Thats nicely captured mate

Update

New Track road ends
Laser ALignment done
3 clicks to the right on the dampning setting
20mm up at the rear
10mm up at the front

and booom!!!!

Rides awesome, wifey loves it and everbody is happy!!

Tip to anybody.
Lower as far as you can first and dont bother with the alignement so it rides like a bag of spanners
let her ride in around in that for a few weeks
Take up a fraction and get alignment done
Shes so fed up with the **** ride that any improvement is acceptable

Job done, one up the bum!