Impatience

It's even more economical to walk everywhere, buy a push bike or get a bus :p

Or nicking your Mrs Mini Cooper ;)

Although I've noticed that every time I use it on a Sunday, the petrol is nearly empty....almost like she's planning it....

Reactions: richinsoton, S32B and DeanoC
I've just done the math on a loan dea through Audi, and
What I learnt is that people attach a huge amount of value to getting a new car every few years, when a 2/3yr old used version of the same car with an extended warranty and a new car smell air freshener will get you 90% of the experience at several thousands less....

As ever, there is a good middle ground between brand new cars and 1988 Fiestas :)

It won't do any such thing, though, because some people just want a new car. Good luck getting Virtual Cockpit and CarPlay on a 2014 S3. It's a different car to the 2017 S3.

Also, some people can ONLY lease, as per their company policy. I'm one of those people. My company

What you're doing, and what you've done throughout this thread, is force your opinion on people while tacitly (implicitly) stating that they're wasting their money. You can keep pointing out how much cheaper it is to own a used car, but until you show a way to own a new car for the same price as a used car, the people you're trying to convince won't be interested.

LOL UK Internet forums have the most heavy-handed moderators anywhere online. I see swear words are banned, too. So ******* weird.
@CROCOP - Nothing stopping you applying to be a Moderator yourself buddy ;)
Sometimes a thankless job that the other Mod's & I get no recompense for
Just can't please everyone all the time ...

The reason swear words are banned on this particular Forum is that we have a lot of members children and grandchildren who also read the Forum
Lots of young car mad kids out there

Reactions: richinsoton, V6_Man, David McQueen and 3 others
I've just done the math on a loan dea through Audi, and

It won't do any such thing, though, because some people just want a new car. Good luck getting Virtual Cockpit and CarPlay on a 2014 S3. It's a different car to the 2017 S3.

Also, some people can ONLY lease, as per their company policy. I'm one of those people. My company

What you're doing, and what you've done throughout this thread, is force your opinion on people while tacitly (implicitly) stating that they're wasting their money. You can keep pointing out how much cheaper it is to own a used car, but until you show a way to own a new car for the same price as a used car, the people you're trying to convince won't be interested.

That’s fair.

I don’t think I was making any secret that I think it’s a waste of money. I outright said I thought getting my S5 on a PCP was a waste of my money...?

As I have repeatedly said, if it works for you then that’s great.

What I dislike is when people get their sums completely wrong and are mislead into thinking that the difference is only X..or that it’s not cheaper because of Y, when it simply isn’t true.

(No different to when I get wound up when people discuss deposits on PCPs and say putting in a small deposit is cheaper...it’s not true and simple maths proves it, yet time and time again it gets repeated....).

Apologies if I over stepped the mark or got on your nerves, it wasn’t my intention.

Reactions: richinsoton and Bristle Hound

The reason swear words are banned on this particular Forum is that we have a lot of members children and grandchildren who also read the Forum

Seemed more than reasonable to move the thread to me mate...!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Daveotto, Scottyg and Bristle Hound
I've been following this thread with great interest. I can see the sides of both arguments.

I bought my very first brand new car in 2014, a 3dr A3 S-Line hatchback with comfort pack only, eagerly as soon as I finished uni. I knew nothing of carwow and the likes and have been paying £310 a month for 40 months so far in a 48 month PCP, plus a £3k deposit.

I've been quite happy up until this point where I've started looking for an upgrade and realised the 'you'll have equity to put towards your next one' speech they gave me simply isn't true. My cars trade in value now at 40 months is only fractionally more than it'll be worth at 48 months... and I've gone over the agreed 6000 miles a year by about 2000 pa.

So over the 48 months I will have spent £17,880 which is quite sobering.

I've just got a carwow quote for a brand new A3 black edition saloon with tech pack, metallic paint and parking sensors for £345 a month with only £1500 deposit and based on 10,000 miles - this is great compared to my last deal!

But in the back of my mind, do I really want to spend another £18k over four years, to then have to repeat over and over..

It's really made me think. I've since been looking at a used focus st 2 years old with about 20k miles on the clock for £15k ish. Although initially the badge snobbery reared its head and I thought this is a backwards step, I'm started to get excited by the thought of it.

Something different, faster, and mine at the end, which could be chopped in for the next. Really made me think!

Reactions: richinsoton, Baldyone and David McQueen
I've been following this thread with great interest. I can see the sides of both arguments.

I bought my very first brand new car in 2014, a 3dr A3 S-Line hatchback with comfort pack only, eagerly as soon as I finished uni. I knew nothing of carwow and the likes and have been paying £310 a month for 40 months so far in a 48 month PCP, plus a £3k deposit.

I've been quite happy up until this point where I've started looking for an upgrade and realised the 'you'll have equity to put towards your next one' speech they gave me simply isn't true. My cars trade in value now at 40 months is only fractionally more than it'll be worth at 48 months... and I've gone over the agreed 6000 miles a year by about 2000 pa.

I've just got a carwow quote for a brand new A3 black edition saloon with tech pack, metallic paint and parking sensors for £345 a month with only £1500 deposit and based on 10,000 miles - this is great compared to my last deal!

But in the back of my mind, do I really want to spend another £18k over four years, to then have to repeat over and over..

It's really made me think. I've since been looking at a used focus st 2 years old with about 20k miles on the clock for £15k ish. Although initially the badge snobbery reared its head and I thought this is a backwards step, I'm started to get excited by the thought of it.

Something different, faster, and mine at the end, which could be chopped in for the next. Really made me think!

There's something to be said for badge snobbery - for example, I'd expect a VW or Audi to depreciate slower than a Ford, on average.

Would you consider an older performance car?

What are your requirements in your next car? I love this game...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I'll say thanks! Internet car forums are a great resource, and wouldn't be around no without mods - so your work is much appreciated!

Any kids reading this - do your ******* homework.

Reactions: richinsoton, Baldyone, Bristle Hound and 1 other person

This is 100% the same as me, im only a year into mine but would work out 20k at the end of my 4 year which i wouldnt get to anyway. The same as you also everything that comes with an st3 is what im looking for and is within affordable price to finance and keep after 4 year with similar payments to me just now.

This thread started with me contemplating an s3 in the near future but has know more than likely turned me into purchasing a car that will leave with money with between £8000 -£10000 at the end which can be put towards the next car which may they be an s3 and so on from there. The annoying thing would be not having done this sooner and also hopefully getting a car that doesnt give me the 'itch' to frequently

There's something to be said for badge snobbery - for example, I'd expect a VW or Audi to depreciate slower than a Ford, on average.

Would you consider an older performance car?

What are your requirements in your next car? I love this game...

That's true, but I don't think I'd be able to afford a used Audi at this stage, not at an age I'd want anyway. I would consider an older performance car, just an older BMW or Audi for example worries me due to increased repair costs!

I just wanted my A3 because I love the brand - it's classy and something I'm proud of. Like a lot say, I don't have any expensive hobbies so I consider this to be one of them.

It caused a hell of an issue getting our first mortgage with a PCP in tow, also. That's a lesson in not being so naive and thinking past simply having a nice car.

This is 100% the same as me, im only a year into mine but would work out 20k at the end of my 4 year which i wouldnt get to anyway. The same as you also everything that comes with an st3 is what im looking for and is within affordable price to finance and keep after 4 year with similar payments to me just now.

This thread started with me contemplating an s3 in the near future but has know more than likely turned me into purchasing a car that will leave with money with between £8000 -£10000 at the end which can be put towards the next car which may they be an s3 and so on from there. The annoying thing would be not having done this sooner and also hopefully getting a car that doesnt give me the 'itch' to frequently

I'm thinking a similar thing now! Ditch the badge snobbery and actually try something new, enjoy it, save some money hopefully and then put it towards something better in a few years, building up and up. But also even if you do get the itch to deal, the car is yours and even with a bank loan you could swap it without as much depreciation loss as a new car!

Reactions: David McQueen
Been a silent reader of this thread and was quite ‘enjoying’ the discussion until I reached the line where it says ‘... older BMW’. @C1j2w3f4 the house points that you were going to get because of your sensible approach have now been changed to a PCN.

Trump, May, Boris and now BMW; sums it all up what’s wrong with this world. Next thing I might hear is people comparing Shell VPower with Morrison’s ***** fuel (oops! - another thread)

Reactions: David McQueen and DrEskimo
That's true, but I don't think I'd be able to afford a used Audi at this stage, not at an age I'd want anyway. I would consider an older performance car, just an older BMW or Audi for example worries me due to increased repair costs!

I just wanted my A3 because I love the brand - it's classy and something I'm proud of. Like a lot say, I don't have any expensive hobbies so I consider this to be one of them.

It caused a hell of an issue getting our first mortgage with a PCP in tow, also. That's a lesson in not being so naive and thinking past simply having a nice car.

I'm thinking a similar thing now! Ditch the badge snobbery and actually try something new, enjoy it, save some money hopefully and then put it towards something better in a few years, building up and up. But also even if you do get the itch to deal, the car is yours and even with a bank loan you could swap it without as much depreciation loss as a new car!

Makes more sense and the st 250 bhp compared to my current 150 so would be plenty more driving fun also. Big thanks to @DrEskimo for twisting my mind upside down lol

Makes more sense and the st 250 bhp compared to my current 150 so would be plenty more driving fun also. Big thanks to @DrEskimo for twisting my mind upside down lol

Tell me about it! Before this thread I was saying how I love the certainty of monthly payments, warranty in place, new car etc and actively raved about it. Now I wish I'd been less naive and been more informed from the start to play a longer game.

Even playing a longer game doesn't mean we can't have fun with something different in the meantime!

That's true, but I don't think I'd be able to afford a used Audi at this stage, not at an age I'd want anyway.

How about something like this?

df7601651b1d2841d3416d923042d103.jpg

A £500 remap would see a safe 300ish HP

Reactions: DieselJake
If someone can find me an '88 Fiesta 1.4 Ghia with a delightful velour interiour & fake wood trim I'm in!!!

The asking price isn't always the selling price though & there's still cheapies out there if you look around... although the price of the XR2 is probably about right in the current mad market the 1.1 Ghia less so. Both from dealers so I wonder if a PCP could be had rofl !!!

Just to mention btw i have no intentions of carrying any negative into the new deal of a car in the future will be waiting till a can VT or wait another year maybe 18 month and try break even on it. My main point was highlighting that i always want to change cars, previous 2 cars i was living with my parents so money wasnt much of a problem then, but now i have my own house and a lot of outgoings each month so wouldnt consider wasting more money for just a change when i do have a perfectly great car which a lot of people am sure would love to have. Was talking with the mrs tonight and she pointed out my car payments are more than my mortgage, i did not reply to this by the way lol!

PFA
82c6cb36c3fb825b5fd45fd5edab7309.jpg

Slightly off topic, but, is that pic taken at Irvine Beach Park?

JG