Impatience

Yea that was a major factor for getting rid of my S5 and cancelling my S3. I just don’t use it enough to warrant so much money towards a car.

Deals like BH’s Leon are the only ones that make me go....hmmmm yea maybe that’s worth it! As he says, it’s relatively a small amount of money and no additional costs.

But it’s the fact that it hampers your ability to save and the risk if you don’t have a steady income that still put me off leasing. Also they tend to be very low mileage and basic spec.

I think it was looking at my GFs situation that really opened my eyes:

She bought a used 60 plate MINI Cooper back in 2013 with decent amount of options and only 15k miles on the clock. Cost her £11k from a main dealer.

This December she would have had it 4yrs and has spent £300 on out of warranty repairs (a replacement thermostat). 4 tyres at £320, 4 MOTs at £160, brake fluid service at £50 and one service for £200 (had a service pack from the dealer so didn’t pay for first two). Just about to replace all brake discs and pads for £360 from main dealer again. VED is £165 so £660

WBAC are offering her £5k, but could easily fetch £6k privately as it’s only done 40k.

So total cost if she sold it tomorrow would be £5k in depreciation over 4 yrs and 25k miles and about £2k in serving/maintenance/repairs/VED/MOT. £7k for 4yrs motoring.

Let’s say she’s dead lucky and gets lease deals like BH and finds a 1+23 & £250 per month that offers her similar spec car. She does this twice (so very lucky...!). That’s £12k. Nearly twice as much. Now of course everyone’s situation is different. Some people may say that they are passionate about their cars and the extra £6k over 4yrs is worth it for a new car. Fair enough I can understand that. £125 a month essentially, and that’s a very reasonable budget for enjoying yourself with hobbies, etc.

....Now add the £12k she saved each month by not having a lease....

I don’t know about you but that’s when I went...nah, sorry that’s too much money to give away just to get a new version of a car every couple of years, when a used version a couple of years old is just as good...!

She can keep the car and keep saving, sell and add the saving to buy a even better car at £18k. sell and buy a similar price car at £11k and pocket the £7k savings and start again.

Leasing...£0 saved, £12k lighter in the wallet, and have to look to start another £6k lease....the cycle continues....
@DrEskimo - Gonna play 'devils advocate' again Doc, just like I did in the VED on £40k+ cars

I'm can only deal with actual figures on the Cupra that I am buying
As you know the PCH deal I got on the Cupra is going to cost me £6k over a 24 month lease, doing 8k a year mileage
I've looked on the Uk Seat website fiancee calculator for a Cupra -

No deposit, 48 month PCP, 8000 miles/year, 4.8% APR
£437.66/month with a GFV £11430.00
So thats £21007.68 paid over a 4 year period & still having the GFV to pay

So over a 48 month period, I've saved just over £9000 & had 2 brand new cars as opposed to 1 !

Not forgetting in the years 3-4 your out of the manufacturers warranty & paying £400+ a month for a 3+ year old car

My two 24 month £6k leases are starting to look cheap now
No probs with cheap leases, there's always bucket loads. You just gotta look

I think its already been said but we are all different and justify to ourselves (usually lol) how & how much we spend on our cars

I like my cars and I will admit I like to change them regularly (but not as regularly as some on ASN)
I've looked at all the options - cash, HP, PCP & PCH & I'm quite happy that PCH will work for me
BUT it will not work for everyone

With PCP, as @S32B says it helps if you get a good discount, but massive discounts = low 2nd hand values IMHO

I don't honestly think theres anyway of buying a car cheap, new or used
Your always going to loose

My advice ? Buy what you can afford and enjoy it & don't worry too much about the cost
BUT do do your homework before you buy & don't sign on the dotted line on your 1st visit to the Dealers, always walk away & have a good think

PS @jassyo06 - I agree on PCH deals, you've got to accept a 'standard' or as close to spec BUT if choose the right car manufacturer you'll be fine
I was amazed at the standard spec on the Cupra
(See - http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/bhs-mystery-blue-mk3-seat-leon-cupra-300-5-door-manual.340323/ )
Audi are going the way of MINI IMHO. Everything (important) is a ****** option !

As always, just my opinion of course ... :hi:

Reactions: Tom.H, richinsoton, V6_Man and 3 others
@DrEskimo - Gonna play 'devils advocate' again Doc, just like I did in the VED on £40k+ cars

I'm can only deal with actual figures on the Cupra that I am buying
As you know the PCH deal I got on the Cupra is going to cost me £6k over a 24 month lease, doing 8k a year mileage
I've looked on the Uk Seat website fiancee calculator for a Cupra -

No deposit, 48 month PCP, 8000 miles/year, 4.8% APR
£437.66/month with a GFV £11430.00
So thats £21007.68 paid over a 4 year period & still having the GFV to pay

So over a 48 month period, I've saved just over £9000 & had 2 brand new cars as opposed to 1 !

Not forgetting in the years 3-4 your out of the manufacturers warranty & paying £400+ a month for a 3+ year old car

My two 24 month £6k leases are starting to look cheap now
No probs with cheap leases, there's always bucket loads. You just gotta look

I think its already been said but we are all different and justify to ourselves (usually lol) how & how much we spend on our cars

I like my cars and I will admit I like to change them regularly (but not as regularly as some on ASN)
I've looked at all the options - cash, HP, PCP & PCH & I'm quite happy that PCH will work for me
BUT it will not work for everyone

With PCP, as @S32B says it helps if you get a good discount, but massive discounts = low 2nd hand values IMHO

I don't honestly think theres anyway of buying a car cheap, new or used
Your always going to loose

My advice ? Buy what you can afford and enjoy it & don't worry too much about the cost
BUT do do your homework before you buy & don't sign on the dotted line on your 1st visit to the Dealers, always walk away & have a good think

PS @jassyo06 - I agree on PCH deals, you've got to accept a 'standard' or as close to spec BUT if choose the right car manufacturer you'll be fine
I was amazed at the standard spec on the Cupra
(See - http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/bhs-mystery-blue-mk3-seat-leon-cupra-300-5-door-manual.340323/ )
Audi are going the way of MINI IMHO. Everything (important) is a ****** option !

As always, just my opinion of course ... :hi:

Ha...it is halloween after all..perfect time for devils advocate..:ghost:

Yea I completely agree. Your cheap lease deal is a corker. Often much cheaper than PCP, and that's often the rhetoric you get over on that PH thread about lease deals :p

The only thing I would argue is when you look at my GF's position with her used Mini bought outright. It's only cost her £6/7k over 4yrs! And has an extra £12k in savings...that's a loot a moolah...

But it's not a new car and...yea....£3k isn't something to lose sleep over if you're on an above average salary really...!

There's a Leon Cupra 280 64 plate with 20k up AT for £15k though...ever tempted to just buy one like that and keep for a good few years? I mean even it's worth £0 in 4yrs you're still not far off what you've paid over 2 leases...

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Ha...it is halloween after all..perfect time for devils advocate..:ghost:

Yea I completely agree. Your cheap lease deal is a corker. Often much cheaper than PCP, and that's often the rhetoric you get over on that PH thread about lease deals :p

The only thing I would argue is when you look at my GF's position with her used Mini bought outright. It's only cost her £6/7k over 4yrs! And has an extra £12k in savings...that's a loot a moolah...

But it's not a new car and...yea....£3k isn't something to lose sleep over if you're on an above average salary really...!
@DrEskimo - No matter what we do, we are never the winners buying new cars/changing our cars
Drives me nuts some times lol
There's a Leon Cupra 280 64 plate with 20k up AT for £15k though...ever tempted to just buy one like that and keep for a good few years? I mean even it's worth £0 in 4yrs you're still not far off what you've paid over 2 leases...
I can see the logic, but sorry Doc. No
I like the smell of new cars too much :D
& there's nothing like doing a new car detail ;) lol
& the main reason is, I don't like cleaning other people's body fluids / snot / fecal matter from the inside of a used car :puke:

Reactions: S32B, V6_Man and DrEskimo
@DrEskimo - No matter what we do, we are never the winners buying new cars/changing our cars
Drives me nuts some times lol

I can see the logic, but sorry Doc. No
I like the smell of new cars too much :D
& there's nothing like doing a new car detail ;) lol
& the main reason is, I don't like cleaning other people's body fluids / snot / fecal matter from the inside of a used car :puke:

Haha!

You know I'm the opposite...trying to bring a neglected car back to glory is what I find most rewarding. I love those restoration threads over on DW.

I also completely underestimated the psychology of actually owning a car...I spent hours on my old A5 I owned. Upgrading parts, detailing, protecting it....I mean I loved the S5, but I never even got around to adding my ceramic protection in the whole 21months I had it. I always had it in the back of my mind that it wasn't mine and was gone soon....I got really excited when I momentarily convinced myself that buying it was a good idea....(that didnt last long...!). Was a complete shift in how I saw the car!

Reactions: V6_Man and Bristle Hound
I whole heartedly agree that a nice (perhaps new) car is a luxury that petrolheads are completely entitled to spend their hard earned cash on.choice of cars, and the money we (I) throw at them is sometimes bonkers.

However - those are not the reasons many get a new car on PCP. I'd guess most (not all) people who think they're better off on a PCP deal haven't done their sums. It's just the easiest option, and gets you into a new car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: richinsoton
I'm the only person I know who doesn't have (and never has had) a PCP.

They stack up brilliantly if you never look beyond one month ahead which is how most people live now.

I was talking about this to my bro. He had an Ibiza FR on finance at about 300 a month (high miles and no deposit as he had no equity in his last one).

I was saying he was mental to do that instead of borrowing 10k over 3 years for about 300 a month and buying a used car. His response was "I'm in a brand new 16k car not a 3 year old 10k car for the same money"

I could not believe he didn't understand the way it pans out after 3 years. In his scenario in 3 years a low loader comes and he waves goodbye to his car. In my scenario the loan payments stop and he has a car worth say 5k sat on the drive. 5k equity towards a new car. He can buy another 10k car for 5k and lower is payments or buy a 50% better 15k car for the same money. 5k over 3 years is 140 a month so at the beggining the comparison in his head should have been 160 a month for the used 10k car or 300 for the new 16k car - not as appealing when put like that.

The rise of PCP s is down to strong used values and low interest rates. The problem now is times are changing and those who are used to getting a call 18 months in saying they can upgrade and have no deposit to pay as they have equity in their car are having a shock when they rock up at the dealers at the end of the term and are just getting the GFV to pay it off with nothing towards their next one.

They are very convenient and make more expensive RRP cars more accessible as the depreciation is better but they will always be a tool designed by car manufacturers to sell you more cars and newer cars over a given time period and extract more cash from you than they did historically.

You flick on the news and hear how nobody can buy a house but then it's pretty normal for people on less than 30k a year to drop 5 or 6 hundred quid a month to effectively borrow a car.

Madness to some, totally sensible to others, and the rest think **** it you only live once. Nobody is wrong.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: richinsoton, DrEskimo, BarryG79 and 1 other person
I lease all my cars, but this has been a very interesting thread.

From my perspective, leasing is a bargain. I've got a full spec black edition Sportback S3 with almost every option ticked, zero deposit, for 496 quid a month. There's also the cost of the mammoth emissions tax in there, too, which is a huge boon.

I just like having a new car. Makes me feel like I've got something special every time I get in it. Then after it gets boring in about 18 months, I start researching the next lease car.

Money down the drain I don't mind flushing.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I lease all my cars, but this has been a very interesting thread.

From my perspective, leasing is a bargain. I've got a full spec black edition Sportback S3 with almost every option ticked, zero deposit, for 496 quid a month. There's also the cost of the mammoth emissions tax in there, too, which is a huge boon.

I just like having a new car. Makes me feel like I've got something special every time I get in it. Then after it gets boring in about 18 months, I start researching the next lease car.

Money down the drain I don't mind flushing.

If you have a fully loaded car for that amount no deposit that's a ****** awesome deal mate
Cause in essence you have a £48k car for under £500 @month

If you have a fully loaded car for that amount no deposit that's a ****** awesome deal mate
Cause in essence you have a £48k car for under £500 @month

Came out at 48.5k, so you're pretty much spot on, Jassy. That's ex-VAT + 10%, by the way, but I lease through my business, so I can claim back half of the VAT (hence the 10%).

Last Audi I owned was an S3 which I bought for 17k and traded in four years later for 6k. I lost 11k on that, which is basically what this S3 will cost me outright. In that time I spent money on a new clutch and various other bits, too.

I think a lot of the people on here talking about how profitable their car ownership has been are car-people. I'm not a car-person, I don't have the patience to find the best way to part with the car, I just want it gone. I'll take a 15% hit for that convenience.

I feel like I've done really well this time round.

That being said, I leased a C63 in 2012 for 420 a month fully loaded - I don't feel like you could ever lease a car like that for two years and only end up losing 9k. I'll just take whatever car has a deal on. This time it's the S3 - could've been any other car.

Reactions: David McQueen, Bristle Hound, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Last Audi I owned was an S3 which I bought for 17k and traded in four years later for 6k. I lost 11k on that, which is basically what this S3 will cost me outright. In that time I spent money on a new clutch and various other bits, too.

...but while you owned that S3 for 4 years, you weren't paying £500 per month to a lease company...so had an extra £24k in income as well...:whistle2:

...but while you owned that S3 for 4 years, you weren't paying £500 per month to a lease company...so had an extra £24k in income as well...:whistle2:

No, I paid it all at the beginning instead. I still lost the same amount on a second hand car that I will on a brand new one.

And an extra 20k in my pocket over four years, when my salary during that period will be around 700,000 is pretty moot.

Reactions: Jassyo06
No, I paid it all at the beginning instead. I still lost the same amount on a second hand car that I will on a brand new one.

And an extra 20k in my pocket over four years, when my salary during that period will be around 700,000 is pretty moot.

Ha well yes that's fair enough...on £700,000, a £500 a month is relative to the amount I spend on biscuits....

And not quite...the lease is over 2yrs, your used S3 was over 4yrs. So the used S3 was £11k + repair costs, and two leases over 4yrs @ £500 per month would be £24k.

Ha well yes that's fair enough...on £700,000, a £500 a month is relative to the amount I spend on biscuits....

And not quite...the lease is over 2yrs, your used S3 was over 4yrs. So the used S3 was £11k + repair costs, and two leases over 4yrs @ £500 per month would be £24k.

Fair point! I forgot about that part

Reactions: DrEskimo
Fair point! I forgot about that part

It's a great point about relative value though.

I've been trying to think how much money relative to my income I am happy on spending on a car, but then I guess everyone is different.

I think I would be a bit horror stricken to work out that I spent more than 10% of my earnings on a car, but then maybe other peoples thresholds are higher, depending on financial commitments (mortgage, kids, etc...), love of cars, etc..

Here's a sobering thought though...£500 invested monthly into a fund that averages 6% interest would result in a return of £230,000 after 20years...

Reactions: DeanoC
And you might die of cancer in ten. Life is full of good and bad decisions.

Reactions: David McQueen, S32B, Bristle Hound and 2 others
It's a great point about relative value though.

I've been trying to think how much money relative to my income I am happy on spending on a car, but then I guess everyone is different.

I think I would be a bit horror stricken to work out that I spent more than 10% of my earnings on a car, but then maybe other peoples thresholds are higher, depending on financial commitments (mortgage, kids, etc...), love of cars, etc..

Here's a sobering thought though...£500 invested monthly into a fund that averages 6% interest would result in a return of £230,000 after 20years...

Yeah them figures don't lie, but life is not as straightforward/consistent as simply having that "Twenty years" to invest some dosh so... So say you did.... What would you do with it 20years from now when your old and infirm lol

Yeah them figures don't lie, but life is not as straightforward/consistent as simply having that "Twenty years" to invest some dosh so... So say you did.... What would you do with it 20years from now when your old and infirm lol

Ha..well I’m only 29 so £230k when I’m 49 and with kids (that’s the plan anyway) would come in VERY handy!

Help buy my kids their own homes (we all know that’s not going to get easier), go through university without £60k worth of debt...or use it for myself to buy property that will do much better than 6% that I can pass on to my kids, or use it to help me retire early and have a much more comfortable retirement life...

...Or more importantly, use half of it to buy a Aston Martin and live my mid life crisis in style....!

List is endless really!

Even if I die in 10yrs it’s nice to leave my partner/kids (if they come) £100k+...

I have no idea if a 6% investment is possible by the way..I don’t know the first thing about investing, but from what read, I don’t think it’s that unreasonable....? I’ve typically just poured as much of my income into property because it does well where I live in the southeast....

I’ve got a bit obsessed with saving now so I’ll give you a shout in 20yrs and let you know how I’ve got on

Reactions: Jassyo06, Bristle Hound and richinsoton
Ha..well I’m only 29 so £230k when I’m 49 and with kids (that’s the plan anyway) would come in VERY handy!

Help buy my kids their own homes (we all know that’s not going to get easier), go through university without £60k worth of debt...or use it for myself to buy property that will do much better than 6% that I can pass on to my kids, or use it to help me retire early and have a much more comfortable retirement life...

...Or more importantly, use half of it to buy a Aston Martin and live my mid life crisis in style....!

List is endless really!

Even if I die in 10yrs it’s nice to leave my partner/kids (if they come) £100k+...

I have no idea if a 6% investment is possible by the way..I don’t know the first thing about investing, but from what read, I don’t think it’s that unreasonable....? I’ve typically just poured as much of my income into property because it does well where I live in the southeast....

I’ve got a bit obsessed with saving now so I’ll give you a shout in 20yrs and let you know how I’ve got on

29 years old well l had 3 kids by then one was 10 years old lol
Just got myself to look after now well..... Until the next offspring crisis phone call happens again.... Lol

I have saved **** all this year spent £20k between 3 holidays and a yukky blue car with 4 rings attached to it.... So it's time out for me on luxury items for a wee while....

29 years old well l had 3 kids by then one was 10 years old lol
Just got myself to look after now well..... Until the next offspring crisis phone call happens again.... Lol

I have saved **** all this year spent £20k between 3 holidays and a yukky blue car with 4 rings attached to it.... So it's time out for me on luxury items for a wee while....

Could do with a holiday or three...and a yukky blue Audi as well...!

Spent all my savings on our house....well I would call it renovating, but I think re-building would be more accurate...!

Reactions: richinsoton and Jassyo06
Could do with a holiday or three...and a yukky blue Audi as well...!

Spent all my savings on our house....well I would call it renovating, but I think re-building would be more accurate...!
A holiday for ya.... Aye.... But.... Nah... I don't think ye could live with that yukky blue colour..... Lol

NOOO! This is completely different! A house appreciates! Its an investment and makes you money!

£30k debt on a asset that is guaranteed to lose 50% of its value is not the same as a mortgage, which can see you triple your original deposit in just 3yrs!
Yep hence why I said buy an appreciating asset and lease a depreciating one. If anyone has a spare £30k bang it off the mortgage and not a car :) If the sh** hits the fan you can always just let them take the car, you don't want them taking your house!

I was told years back that I would be out of a job in 3-4 years. So worrying about the mortgage I said "Holidays, posh nights out and flash cars are on hold for a while", I battered every spare £1 into overpayments, at the age of 40 I was mortgage free :) a couple of weeks later I was told my job was safe for another 10 years until 2021 :D Now they are back again, they are after 400 voluntary redundancies to go before christmas with no guarantees for the rest of us after 2021. Since day 1 I was told don't rely on this job, they will be getting rid of us soon...21 years later I'm still there :) If they do close us the payment they give me will more than cover the car I have at the time or a downsized new one....I'll just have to get any job I can get for beer tokens :p

Reactions: David McQueen
Find me somewhere that will give me 6% and I'll sign up with you :)

If you are planning on dying and want to leave your family £100k, get a life insurance policy! For someone your age who doesn't smoke you can get £100,000 of cover for 20 years for £6 per month...or £200,000 for £9 per month BARGAIN! Just don't tell the other half you have it! :p;)

Yep hence why I said buy an appreciating asset and lease a depreciating one. If anyone has a spare £30k bang it off the mortgage and not a car :) If the sh** hits the fan you can always just let them take the car, you don't want them taking your house!

I get this saying....but I still dont think it makes much sense with new cars. Still rather buy a used asset that has had its steepest deprecation, rather than constantly renting a new asset that suffers from it's steepest depreciation...Again why I would never buy a new car, let alone with finance (until I'm making £700k a year that is...!), but I think I've hammered that point enough :p

I battered every spare £1 into overpayments, at the age of 40 I was mortgage free

That's awesome, congrats mate!

I'm thinking of overpaying on my mortgage, as I have a fair bit of disposable income. I know I will be moving a good few times, as property is such a great investment where I am (well...we'll see how things pan out over the new couple of years...!) but know overpaying wont be a bad idea.

Find me somewhere that will give me 6% and I'll sign up with you :)
No idea...just looking at diverse low/medium risk stocks and shares using ISA allowance...but as I said I know next to sweet F all about it! Hence why I have just put all my money in my property, as I've so far done very well from it...!

If you are planning on dying and want to leave your family £100k, get a life insurance policy! For someone your age who doesn't smoke you can get £100,000 of cover for 20 years for £6 per month...or £200,000 for £9 per month BARGAIN!

Ha..yea, with how risk adverse I have come across in this thread, it should be no surprise that I have one :) £15 per month but provides a lump sum to pay off the mortgage for my partner...I made her get one too so should be safe...:p

I'm thinking of overpaying on my mortgage, as I have a fair bit of disposable income. I know I will be moving a good few times, as property is such a great investment where I am (well...we'll see how things pan out over the new couple of years...!) but know overpaying wont be a bad idea.
Do it mate, it's the best thing that I ever did. The threat of losing my job was a blessing in disguise! It's unbelievable how quick it drops when you do it :) I've got my sister onto it, just by making a phone call for her (with her permission) I got her down from 15 years to 12 and saving £100 per month (lower interest) which I said keep paying as overpayments to get it done in 10 years.

Just check with your provider, some will hit you with an early repayment charge if you pay over 10% of your original mortgage balance in a year, or if you exit your mortgage early. I found one for her with Nationwide that was zero product fee and a rate of 1.44% for 2 years. They also offered £500 to switch to them, best part was no ERC, allowing her to pay unlimited overpayments and penalty free switching.

DrEskimo said:
Ha..yea, with how risk adverse I have come across in this thread, it should be no surprise that I have one :) £15 per month but provides a lump sum to pay off the mortgage for my partner...I made her get one too so should be safe...:p
Critical illness is also worth a look, it's more expensive than life cover, but it covers a lot that you don't think of. A mate of mine had it and then cancelled it after his divorce, 6 months later he was diagnosed with an illness that was covered by the policy he had cancelled!!! You can imagine how upset he was...thankfully nothing terminal, but the payout if he had still had the cover would have left him mortgage free :blink:

Reactions: richinsoton and DrEskimo
I think another thing you that has an influence is the forum aswell. Its brilliant and great for help and advice but also seeing people getting new cars daily also has a major effect, you forget people come from all different careers and ages from people with the first house like myself to people thats kids have flew the nest. As Long as your not spending out with your means then thats all that really matters. Likes of myself i bring in an average wage of around £35,000 but also give or take another £5000 on homers and working for mates so at the back of my mind they jobs pay my car but when the time comes it will be a big decision what to do but hopefully its more sensible financially than its been in the past and i dont dive in 2 feet first as i usually do

I think another thing you that has an influence is the forum aswell. Its brilliant and great for help and advice but also seeing people getting new cars daily also has a major effect, you forget people come from all different careers and ages from people with the first house like myself to people thats kids have flew the nest. As Long as your not spending out with your means then thats all that really matters. Likes of myself i bring in an average wage of around £35,000 but also give or take another £5000 on homers and working for mates so at the back of my mind they jobs pay my car but when the time comes it will be a big decision what to do but hopefully its more sensible financially than its been in the past and i dont dive in 2 feet first as i usually do

Just be ****** patient *** man.... Lol you plumbers are awe the same lol , aim for the all new S3 in roughly 2years time,it should be a cracking car with around 330 bhp or around that, everyones circumstances/lifestyles are different on here, l saved hard for 2years but kept on blowin some of it... So l ended up with a lowly S3.... Lol
I love my holidays more than cars because life to me in my 50s is all about chilling...... Been through the mill with a lot of things in life when I was a lot younger.... My first real holiday was at 43......

Ps sell ye man Voodoo lol

As Long as your not spending out with your means then thats all that really matters.

I think that’s the bit where everyone has a different definition....!

Reactions: richinsoton and David McQueen
Just be ****** patient *** man.... Lol you plumbers are awe the same lol , aim for the all new S3 in roughly 2years time,it should be a cracking car with around 330 bhp or around that, everyones circumstances/lifestyles are different on here, l saved hard for 2years but kept on blowin some of it... So l ended up with a lowly S3.... Lol
I love my holidays more than cars because life to me in my 50s is all about chilling...... Been through the mill with a lot of things in life when I was a lot younger.... My first real holiday was at 43......

Ps sell ye man Voodoo lol

Apologies for annoying the top trade elite there No chance al manage 2 years but should do 18 month hopefully that would fall in to the summer months also, never know might when bankrupt an opted for a bicycle by then lol

Reactions: Jassyo06
Apologies for annoying the top trade elite there No chance al manage 2 years but should do 18 month hopefully that would fall in to the summer months also, never know might when bankrupt an opted for a bicycle by then lol

Could be worse mate...could be sharing your GFs Pepper White MINI Cooper....

Reactions: richinsoton, Bristle Hound, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
The "itch" depends on what car you've bought and whether you've bought it for the right reasons to begin with IMO

Obviously a lot comes down to budget but personally if there's nothing wrong with my car at one point in time and I can't afford what would truly satisfy me when driving, I just don't buy, I wait till I can afford what I truly want.

A year into my S3 ownership I don't want to change or regret any part of what I didn't spec, or colour , no itch, nada.

I think a lot of people nowadays expect/want a new car every 3 years or so to the point they're getting another car for the sake of it - it's like mobile phones - can you REALLY justify that upgrade to a new phone with marginally better specs? Imo if you can hold out (you have a reliable car) then wait until you can afford what truly excites you.

That's just the ramblings of a 26 yo bloke :D

Reactions: richinsoton, David McQueen and Jassyo06
Maybe we should invite
Download
on to this thread....

Or maybe this guy...he looked through life in a different way lol
1024x1024

Reactions: richinsoton and David McQueen
A bet you pull it off though whats your next purchase then??

Haha...

Yea people looking in cant quite work out if I’m gay or just an estate agent....

No idea mate...I had an S3 on order and cancelled it. I really don’t need a car as I commute to London. I drive about 20miles a week... I also live in a typical Victorian terraced house with no parking...it’s a nightmare finding a space in the surrounding roads.

The plan is to just save like mad for a few years and hopefully me and the Mrs will be looking to move to a bigger house with a drive....and then I can buy a Tesla....

Haha...

Yea people looking in cant quite work out if I’m gay or just an estate agent....

No idea mate...I had an S3 on order and cancelled it. I really don’t need a car as I commute to London. I drive about 20miles a week... I also live in a typical Victorian terraced house with no parking...it’s a nightmare finding a space in the surrounding roads.

The plan is to just save like mad for a few years and hopefully me and the Mrs will be looking to move to a bigger house with a drive....and then I can buy a Tesla....

******* myself at that a hope your buying this tesla and not pcp'ing it hahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
Some VERY interesting reading in this thread

Differing opinions between the 20 something youngsters & us old farts in our 50's lol

Reactions: Baldyone, richinsoton, V6_Man and 2 others
Some VERY interesting reading in this thread

Differing opinions between the 20 something youngsters & us old farts in our 50's lol

I'm right in the middle: 35. Wife and 2 young kids, petrolhead, fortunate to earn a decent living, but drive a much older and cheaper wage than many on the same income would do...because as well as being a petrolhead, I'm a risk manager so I can never "man maths" myself into a new car PCP deal.

A lot has to do with a period in my 20's when I got way ahead of myself financially. I was working at a well known investment bank and I could see which way my earnings were going (or so I thought)...so spent it before I had it. Then 2008 hit: I had a 15% pay cut, small debts became bigger, my rental flat was taken by crooks who took months to evict and then burned down the kitchen, and I struggled for quite a while. The stress kept me up at night. Debts hit serious five figure sums. It took a couple of years to right the ship and pay off all short term debt, so I'm in no hurry to go back to that, especially as I now have sprogs and a couple more mortgages.

Having said all of the above...I'm seriously considering a gen 1 R8 V10 early next year. I'll talk you through my man maths....It'd be a cash purchase, so no finance costs, and they've completely stopped depreciating (usually the highest cost part of car ownership)...so could work out cheaper over the full ownership period than a lot of "normal" cars. It'd just be maintainance and running costs... which wouldn't be massively more than my current B7 RS4.

Reactions: richinsoton, DeanoC, David McQueen and 1 other person
Never thought of it that way before, will definitely explore all options next time as financially this makes far more sense. On the bigger picture my car is £4800 a year, which is a lot of money, also the mrs uses it weekdays just now as i have a work van bit next year she is starting her own business and getting her own car so therefore mine will only be used weekends and the odd time during the week, this would make it seem daft to be paying £400 a month for a car or potentially more if i went down the s3 route for a car that will be hardly used.

Used car makes so much more sense we brought a audi a3 s line with black pack s tonic with 35k on the clock from audi paid £16k for 2014 took a personal loan of £14,500 and a px over 4 years 255 a month and I own the car from day one miles better way of doing only 3.0%apr and can sell the car when I want if i want.
59de880c60a6badc6986e5a8d002c944.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm right in the middle: 35. Wife and 2 young kids, petrolhead, fortunate to earn a decent living, but drive a much older and cheaper wage than many on the same income would do...because as well as being a petrolhead, I'm a risk manager so I can never "man maths" myself into a new car PCP deal.

A lot has to do with a period in my 20's when I got way ahead of myself financially. I was working at a well known investment bank and I could see which way my earnings were going (or so I thought)...so spent it before I had it. Then 2008 hit: I had a 15% pay cut, small debts became bigger, my rental flat was taken by crooks who took months to evict and then burned down the kitchen, and I struggled for quite a while. The stress kept me up at night. Debts hit serious five figure sums. It took a couple of years to right the ship and pay off all short term debt, so I'm in no hurry to go back to that, especially as I now have sprogs and a couple more mortgages.

Having said all of the above...I'm seriously considering a gen 1 R8 V10 early next year. I'll talk you through my man maths....It'd be a cash purchase, so no finance costs, and they've completely stopped depreciating (usually the highest cost part of car ownership)...so could work out cheaper over the full ownership period than a lot of "normal" cars. It'd just be maintainance and running costs... which wouldn't be massively more than my current B7 RS4.

That's what I'm after in the spring. Same background and thought process.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk