Imola Yellow S3

Cheers Alex I'll remove the screw tonight and get AMD to do the tracking when I get the clutch done

Good idea.

They set mine up and did the clutch for me so you know it will be done properly.

Yeah I may just cave in and get it done locally tomorrow as its doing my head in, just bedding the brakes in so should be creasing the Tarmac in no time

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    962.4 KB · Views: 224
Only screw when having a quick look is this torx from rear bumper to body, I thought someone said it was a flat head in the arch

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 211
How she's sitting now, clutch should be here Friday thinking about a lsd diff and haldex upgrade at the same time

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 203
Reactions: S3Alex
How she's sitting now, clutch should be here Friday thinking about a lsd diff and haldex upgrade at the same time

Haldex upgrade I thought was useful but only when the suspension and brakes etc are all done.

I got a Quaife LSD,but there are also ones from Wavetrac and Peloquin.

LSD tends to fight a bit with Audi's TC,and can understeer quite heavily on a wet or icy road,with the TC on.
I used to leave the TC off until we upgraded the ECU which can run far better software.

Haldex upgrade I thought was useful but only when the suspension and brakes etc are all done.

I got a Quaife LSD,but there are also ones from Wavetrac and Peloquin.

LSD tends to fight a bit with Audi's TC,and can understeer quite heavily on a wet or icy road,with the TC on.
I used to leave the TC off until we upgraded the ECU which can run far better software.
Should go ok with the all the suspension upgrades then, was just thinking may as well get it all done when I have the clutch sorted. I was looking at the quaife as its on offer at awesome for 750 ish which I didn't think is too bad can you remember rough fitting costs Alex? And with the haldex is the switch to toggle between the three modes the best as the wireless system seems expensive

Should go ok with the all the suspension upgrades then, was just thinking may as well get it all done when I have the clutch sorted. I was looking at the quaife as its on offer at awesome for 750 ish which I didn't think is too bad can you remember rough fitting costs Alex? And with the haldex is the switch to toggle between the three modes the best as the wireless system seems expensive

The price is about right from Awesome,and with fitting you'd be looking at around £1k all in.
Nice opportunity to get a look at the box internals too.

I wouldn't bother with the wireless switching....we went with a wired system.

Reactions: S.
You can get competition controller. No switch, it is always in race mode, and it doesn't dissengage rear axle. There's ocasional powerslide involved too.

Reactions: Smirky
You can get competition controller. No switch, it is always in race mode, and it doesn't dissengage rear axle. There's ocasional powerslide involved too.
I've seen that for sale somewhere , doesn't it send more power to the back than the standard haldex controller?

Yes it does. But haldex can't send more than 50:50. What it does is that it keeps as much close as it can to 50:50 ratio. HPA has a great product info on their site with graphs.

Reactions: Smirky and S3Alex
Yes it does. But haldex can't send more than 50:50. What it does is that it keeps as much close as it can to 50:50 ratio. HPA has a great product info on their site with graphs.
Thought so ,
I'd like to drive an s3 that has the upgrade to see how noticeable it is

Is it gen 4 controller that's in the pre facelift s3?

Samsellars sorry for offtopic.

Gen2 is on prefacelift. Gen4 is on facelift.

On a normal drive it's not that noticeable. Acceleration feels different, its more the "push" from the back feeling, and its faster of the line. Never tried launching as it's not my thing, and i wouldn't want to break the propshaft but i'm pretty sure it kicks hard. It takes some of top speed but who cares about that!! Also consumption has gone up on motorway driving about a litre up.
But when giving it some on twisty roads there is where it shows its potential. Makes car more neutral when cornering, allowing more cornering speed, and control, and you can get on the throttle earlier. Eliminates further understeer and it's actually possible to do awd powerslides even on dry surface.
Also engine braking is more noticable because it doesn't dissengage rear axle.

On a normal drive it's not that noticeable. Acceleration feels different, its more the "push" from the back feeling, and its faster of the line. Never tried launching as it's not my thing, and i wouldn't want to break the propshaft but i'm pretty sure it kicks hard. It takes some of top speed but who cares about that!! Also consumption has gone up on motorway driving about a litre up.
But when giving it some on twisty roads there is where it shows its potential. Makes car more neutral when cornering, allowing more cornering speed, and control, and you can get on the throttle earlier. Eliminates further understeer and it's actually possible to do awd powerslides even on dry surface.
Cheers is it possible to swap out gen 2 for competition 4 or do you have to go competition 2 ?
That's if you know of course ,
This could be a mod I do when I do coilovers and arbs later in the year

Gen 2 for gen 2, gen 4 for gen 4.
I think you would need to swap the whole diff for gen 4 if it's possible if you want gen 4. Visit the hpa site for details. I've got mine 2nd hand for a good price so i thought i'll give it a go.

Reactions: 24JSeymour and Smirky
Yeah just had a look doesn't look like u can get gen 2 without the switchable modes and no way I'm paying 250 for a remote when it will blatantly be in race all the time lol

No problem, is it different from the switchable haldex controller, just I'd like to be able to go back to stock incase the heavens open or I need to do some boring motorway miles.
Think I've decided on the pro alloy intercooler, tte420 upgrade unsure on new or re-furb.
What lpfp's are everyone running?
And I see most are using the rs4 valve

No problem, is it different from the switchable haldex controller, just I'd like to be able to go back to stock incase the heavens open or I need to do some boring motorway miles.
Think I've decided on the pro alloy intercooler, tte420 upgrade unsure on new or re-furb.
What lpfp's are everyone running?
And I see most are using the rs4 valve
Most seem to use the ttrs lpfp Alec runs dome sort of inline thing I think, apr do one too but u pay pay the apr premium,personally I'm going to use the bar-tek tuning version as its a fair bit cheaper ,
To go with the rs4 return valve you will also need the 155 bar fuel rail valve I believe

To go with the rs4 return valve you will also need the 155 bar fuel rail valve I believe

Are you able to elaborate at all regarding the latter please, as this is the first time I've heard of it? I'm only going to stage 2+ at some point of which the RS4 FPRV has been beneficial on some remapped cars, I'll be getting a custom map so it's definitely worth it for the sake of an extra £50. Anyhow, that only goes up 135 bar so what would be the need for the above? I've seen that you can also get a 155 bar FPRV for £180.

Are you able to elaborate at all regarding the latter please, as this is the first time I've heard of it? I'm only going to stage 2+ at some point of which the RS4 FPRV has been beneficial on some remapped cars, I'll be getting a custom map so it's definitely worth it for the sake of an extra £50. Anyhow, that only goes up 135 bar so what would be the need for the above? I've seen that you can also get a 155 bar FPRV for £180.
Some tuners use the rs4 return valve some don't ,
I don't have the technical knowledge to go into details but I would imagine it's something to do with getting enough fuel into the rail so it's not lean ,
But I'm sure one of the wizards will be along at some point @S3Alex

Rs4 Fpr gives more fuel. On most stage 2+ maps oem fpr can't supply requested fuel pressure. On stage 2+ it improves midrange torque and power, also sometimes on agressive stage 2+ settings there is a flat spot at 5000-5500 rpm, which you notice on wot, and fpr eliminates that flat spot.

Some tuners use the rs4 return valve some don't ,
I don't have the technical knowledge to go into details but I would imagine it's something to do with getting enough fuel into the rail so it's not lean ,
But I'm sure one of the wizards will be along at some point @S3Alex

Cool, thanks for bringing it to my attention anyway. I've compiled a list of absolutely everything I want/need to do to my car, so finding out if I also need the 155 bar fuel rail valve will be good to know.

Rs4 Fpr gives more fuel. On most stage 2+ maps oem fpr can't supply requested fuel pressure. On stage 2+ it improves midrange torque and power, also sometimes on agressive stage 2+ settings there is a flat spot at 5000-5500 rpm, which you notice on wot, and fpr eliminates that flat spot.

This is what I had read elsewhere as well, which is why I want to get the RS4 Fuel Pressure Return Valve done but I had not heard of this Fuel Rail Valve before (unless it's the same thing but different terminology).

It's the same thing.

I thought it sounded like the same thing but smirky's post confused me as it sounded like that if you get the RS4 FPRV, then you will also need another part in addition, so thanks for clarifying.

Nice to know cheers, just had the weirdest thing in the car on acceleration power cut out for like 1/2 second then back on causing it to jerk

Was going to order the haldex upgrade today, need to check if it's OBY or OBR. Is it only one code for the face lift or can it be either?

I think it's OBR for facelift s3 and mk6 golf r, OBY is reserved for ttrs. But double check it first. Go to the hpa website and see how can you identify your controller.

I think it's OBR for facelift s3 and mk6 golf r, OBY is reserved for ttrs. But double check it first. Go to the hpa website and see how can you identify your controller.
Yeah you was right it's OBR
on the plus side the clutch is now here car is booked in for the 9th!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 155
Think your be shocked how user friendly the clutch is mate when it's fitted

Think your be shocked how user friendly the clutch is mate when it's fitted
Im really looking forward it and also quite interested to see how much it makes when on the RR. Ordered the haldex upgrade today and Quaife LSD so gonna get it all fitted together

Im really looking forward it and also quite interested to see how much it makes when on the RR. Ordered the haldex upgrade today and Quaife LSD so gonna get it all fitted together
Makes sense interested to see how the haldex controller feels

What spec are you running ? Standard turbo ? Tte? Big turbo ?

S
What spec are you running ? Standard turbo ? Tte? Big turbo ?
APR Stage 2+
Standard K04
Milltek non res decat
Runner Flap Delete
Vw Racing Intake
KW DDC's
Vw Front Back Anti Roll Bars
Super Pro Anti Lift Kit
Vw BBK

Unsure if I should go TTE420 next or Owen developments :/

Reactions: Smirky and S.
Haldex controller I think is a very subtle upgrade.
It's not night and day like the ARBs would be but does make a bit of difference although nowhere near as much as an LSD.

TTE 420 will give you much of the fun of a big turbo but without the rebuild costs or other hassles.

I'd go for that unless you're up for an engine rebuild and the costs of a full kit like the Nortech.

S

APR Stage 2+
Standard K04
Milltek non res decat
Runner Flap Delete
Vw Racing Intake
KW DDC's
Vw Front Back Anti Roll Bars
Super Pro Anti Lift Kit
Vw BBK

It's a tough choice

S

Owen Developments have supplied me with 2 turbos so far,firstly the 3076 I upgraded to a couple of yrs ago,and then the M-Spec 3582 I have now.
These guys are superb,and Scott Hawkins in particular has been a great help in selecting the correct parts,as well as A/r and upgrades to the basic turbo spec.

Simon @ TTE is also excellent,and totally honest about their products.

Speak to both if you're thinking about this sort of thing.

Owen Developments have supplied me with 2 turbos so far,firstly the 3076 I upgraded to a couple of yrs ago,and then the M-Spec 3582 I have now.
These guys are superb,and Scott Hawkins in particular has been a great help in selecting the correct parts,as well as A/r and upgrades to the basic turbo spec.

Simon @ TTE is also excellent,and totally honest about their products.

Speak to both if you're thinking about this sort of thing.
Yeah it's such a tough decision, what sort of price range for forging the engine is what I couldn't find really, also what management are you running Alex

Yeah it's such a tough decision, what sort of price range for forging the engine is what I couldn't find really, also what management are you running Alex

You're looking at about £1.2 k for rods and pistons,plus a bit for bearing shells etc.
Then add in the same for labour.

PEC supplied mine

http://www.steelconrods.co.uk/index.php?cPath=22_28_85

IE also sell good parts.

http://www.performancebyie.com/

The costs mount up pretty fast,as you would also be looking at a big turbo plus kit to get the best from that lot,and then uprated LPFP etc etc as well.

I use a Syvecs ECU with their software.....it's an amazing piece of kit but not cheap,and certainly would get the most out of a good BT build.