Immobiliser Chip

darreng1983

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has succesfully removed the immobiliser chip from a year 2000 key? The key section of the fob has cracked so I'm thinking of getting a new key but then put the old chip in the new key if it's possible?

Thanks

Yeah, I just need to work out how to get the key apart lol. Guess that shows that it's possible though!

Yes I have taken the immo chip out from number of keys, they're glued in & need serious patients along with delicate hands, use a very thin stanley type blade & just slowly work away down the side of the chip if its the same glass capsule type as the 8P ones which share the same shape keys, be warned, once its cracked its usually ********, so for your own sake be extremely careful, some arent glued as much as others so you maybe lucky.

There's a screw hidden behind the 4 ring emblem on rear.

Yes I have taken the immo chip out from number of keys, they're glued in & need serious patients along with delicate hands, use a very thin stanley type blade & just slowly work away down the side of the chip if its the same glass capsule type as the 8P ones which share the same shape keys, be warned, once its cracked its usually ********, so for your own sake be extremely careful, some arent glued as much as others so you maybe lucky.

There's a screw hidden behind the 4 ring emblem on rear.

Thanks, mine only has two buttons on the fob, does what you've said still apply? I've found some stuff on Google but it seems to relate to the three button type.

This is the same as mine Audi 2 Button Flip Remote Case With Key Cut to Your Car on eBay (end time 22-Oct-10 21:58:41 BST)

Last edited:
Yupe, as NHN has said, 3 button or 2 button, the process is pretty much the same. Take your time, use a sharp knife and gently cut through the glue holding the transponder, pop it out and transfer over, not too difficult but daunting the first time you do it.

You could end up damaging the transponder using heat due to the proximity - I would avoid trying to do that as it would be almost impossible to safely protect the transponder, I used a scalpel that I 'borrowed' from work, gently sliced around the glue and the transponder came out fairly easily.

Sorry Darren it was just lined up by you so couldn't resist :)