I'm new! Please some help with radio replacement!

Crazyxelite

Ash, Aldershot
Reaction score
Hi I got mine today is an Audi A3 sport 1.6 2002, 91000 miles i'm very happy with it, I have an JVC radio with 6 months and sony rear speakers, I would like to know what cables i need, and mine is a double slot i hope i can do it and in a cheap way! Many thanks.

Congrats on the new buy!!

What is it you want to do exactly??? I can't make sense of your post lol

Reactions: JohnStan725 and Crazyxelite
I'm guessing you want to swap out your double din unit with your JVC unit and replace the rears with Sony speakers?

Reactions: Crazyxelite
I'm guessing you want to swap out your double din unit with your JVC unit and replace the rears with Sony speakers?
Yes that :) What cables do i need and adaptors? it will gonna leave an empty space? Shame is not like my old corsa just plug and play.

here stock radio and the radio i have.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    865.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    700.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    699.9 KB · Views: 110
First you need to purchase a set of keys to remove the old stereo very cheap about £2 i got mine for. You then will need a double din fasica in order for this to fit otherwise they will be alot of spare room. i can provide all links to you but most items will be on ebay and I cant access it from work. you will need to figure out what harness you have at the back of the org audi stereo, as different spec i believe have different harness. however mine was straight plug and play once i removed the old unit.

There is no faceplate available that converts an 8L double din to anything... you will have to fabricate something for that... B6 A4 facia adaptor is the one used I think....

I suspect you will want an autoleads non Bose adaptor to connect the head unit... you will need to take the switched power from the s_kont fuse (info here..)
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/where-to-find-a-ignition-live-any-pics.178741

You will need to wire the rear speakers direct from you head unit as the rear speakers will be amp'd on yours I believe but you should be able to pick up the fronts from the adaptor

If you have an OE sub fitted you will probably lose this as this is powered from the preout of the OE unit... I think on lesser models the rear speakers are driven from the sub amp anyway but I can't remember off hand

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Crazyxelite and JohnStan725
I'm so confused can you make me a list on eBay for the things i need? I think mine don't have any sub. Does that a4 facia adapter work on a3? Thanks

Like tuffty said
- stereo removal keys & look to see what plugs you have in the back
- get aftermarket double DIN cage kit
- get aftermarket single DIN storage unit or cup holders. So you can fill the gap because you're using a single DIN HU
- autoleads non-Bose adaptor - match them up with the plugs of original stereo (you new one looks to be ISO) - to power up aftermarket unit & hopefully front speakers
- extra speaker wire to run from the back of the HU to new rear Sony speakers
- follow tuffty's link to find the s_kont fuse (remove the fuse box cover on the side of the dash to find what # fuse to connect to) to which your "remote" (usually the blue wire) from the adaptor/new HU will go to

Hope that helps

The harness is for Bose! Might not be the right one for you...

The 8P frame will need shaving on the sides & some of the back of the bracket to make it fit

Keys are good!!!

That should give you an idea of how I went about things

Ps you also need a cage.

The HU won't stay just with that 8P fascia

Thanks for the help I ordered te keys and the din to do some testing and I check what type of cables it is many thanks :) gonna wash it tomorrow and then I post some pics.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnStan725