I'm Changing my springs, What else do i need

gruf

Reaction score
I'm Changing my springs.
What else do i need.
The webpage i was buying my springs from was offering me bump stops as-well,
do i need them and do i need anything else that might be needed later, i don't race my car or drive like a crank (ANYMORE) but there is a lot of speed humps were i live.
any pointers will be helpful before i get it on the ramp.
Thanks

Depends on the age and milage of your car, but you might need the rubber shock mounts that go at the top of the springs and are bolted to the top of the shock absorber.

You should be OK just chopping a bit off your existing bump-stops (cut the same amount off as you're lowering your car by).

You may also want to think about doing your shocks at the same time, as they're coming off anyway... Depends on the milage and age again.

Good luck :)

Thanks, my car has done 70000 miles,
what if any shocks should i put back on, standard or something else, i dont want to spend a bundle and i aint racing about, i just wanted to make it sit a bit better.

It's just that lowering springs can speed up the untimely demise of worn standard shocks...

You should be fine with standard shocks from Euro Car Parts or GSF etc.

It's just much easier to do the whole lot once, rather than having to remove the whole lot again later to replace a worn part in the future.

Check for worn bushes in the control arms too before doing the work, as you may find you need to replace some of these while it's in bits.

OE Sport shocks are about £150 each, so if your going to that expense you may as well upgrade them to bilsteins or similar.

Siena got craig a Bilstein B6 shock kit for his S4 for around £350 iirc, so if you want to change the shocks you should go for something like that.

At 70k i'd imagine the shocks will be fine though.

I had mine completely apart twice, as the first time i changed the control arms they failed after 4000miles. So if you DO need to replace any control arms, you want to be buying Genuine Audi parts, or good quality aftermarket like Meyle.
The second time i replaced ours i plumped for a Meyle arm kit from german ebay which replaced all 8 arms and the ARB links and cost £300.

what are the control arms,
Check for worn bushes..were abouts?
i like the sound of this..Siena got craig a Bilstein B6 shock kit for his S4 for around £350 iirc, so if you want to change the shocks you should go for something like that. how do i get them?
would i be better off geting a coil over kit with shocks and springs.

My coilovers are cheapo eBay.de items that cost about £220 delivered.

I've had them on almost a year and they're fine. Still adjustable (ie. they haven't seized) and no leaks.

They ride very similarly to H&R coilovers I've had on my previous 2 vehicles.