Facelift I'm Back! Selling M2 - Just Ordered New S3 Sportback

eugegall

Reaction score
Not that any of you would know who I am lol.

I had an S3 7 years ago or so and absolutely loved it. Since then I have owned:

- Nissan Joke (LOL)
- BMW M135i
- BMW M2 (Current Car)

I've just ordered:

S3 Sportback S Tronic

- Navarra Blue
- Tech Pack
- Park Assist
- Rear Camera
- Hill Hold

Here are a few pictures of my old S3 and current M2.

36125387381_60986794fc_b.jpg

36092330902_3def5b11fc_b.jpg

36217728866_cae7eef39f_b.jpg

36217545876_fb1457aa86_b.jpg

36125166141_d2b0181012_b.jpg

Reactions: PanamaS3, Benji34, richinsoton and 6 others
First, congratualations with your new car! I understand changing from a M135i to a S3 but what makes you change the M2 for a S3? And why not a RS3?

I'm changing my bmw 120d out for a S3 which makes a lot more sense but it must be a good sign that a M2 owner sees the S3 as a worthy (of course more practical) successor :racer:

Reactions: Audi Bairn
M2 to S3 wow, I had a m235i and went to S3 but surely M2 is a different league?

Same as above, why the change?

That M2 is the dogs danglies, absolutely love it!!! What a car

Reactions: Bristle Hound and richard skilbeck
First, congratualations with your new car! I understand changing from a M135i to a S3 but what makes you change the M2 for a S3? And why not a RS3?

I'm changing my bmw 120d out for a S3 which makes a lot more sense but it must be a good sign that a M2 owner sees the S3 as a worthy (of course more practical) successor :racer:

M2 to S3 wow, I had a m235i and went to S3 but surely M2 is a different league?

Same as above, why the change?

That M2 is the dogs danglies, absolutely love it!!! What a car

Thanks all.

I've had the M2 for about a year now and when I'm absolutely hammering it, It's easily the best car I've ever driven. Its so grippy its unbelievable.

Problem is, 99% of my journeys are with traffic and usually less than 1 mile, I may as well be in a Fiat Panda...

I pay an absolute fortune to drive a car that I can't drive properly most of the time and just don't do it justice.

The are a few negatives that also have contributed to the change. I'll just list them.

- Build quality just isn't what it should be on a £50k car.
- For example, there is no button to turn off parking beeps. You have to turn the ****** car off.
- The speedo display is just dangerous. The backlights don't turn on during the day making it IMPOSSIBLE to see your speed.
- Constant break squeaks. Common problem apparently.
- Driveshaft/Diff clunking quite often makes it feel uncomfortable.
- Plastics in the car and doors keep coming off.
- DCT gearbox kangaroos in first whether I'm in auto or manual. Very embarrassing.
- LCI M2 has just been released, correcting most of the above, which has ****** me off. It will make the value drop quicker.

I'm sure I could find more but I don't want to as the car has been great and gets A LOT of attention.

Moving forward, I am in a transition period in my life where I want to minimise my outgoings to allow me to save more for a decent, one in a lifetime trip next year and the difference will just about pay for that.

I wanted a cheaper car and getting an S3 as a 'cheap' car makes me extremely fortunate.

Just to give you an idea. It will save me more than £550 a month going from M2 to S3.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: TDI-line, Benji34, PanamaS3 and 9 others
Thanks all.

I've had the M2 for about a year now and when I'm absolutely hammering it, It's easily the best car I've ever driven. Its so grippy its unbelievable.

Problem is, 99% of my journeys are with traffic and usually less than 1 mile, I may as well be in a Fiat Panda...

I pay an absolute fortune to drive a car that I can't drive properly most of the time and just don't do it justice.

The are a few negatives that also have contributed to the change. I'll just list them.

- For example, there is no button to turn off parking beeps. You have to turn the ****** car off.
- The speedo display is just dangerous. The backlights don't turn on during the day making it IMPOSSIBLE to see your speed.
- DCT gearbox kangaroos in first whether I'm in auto or manual. Very embarrassing.
- LCI M2 has just been released, correcting most of the above, which has ****** me off. It will make the value drop quicker.

I'm sure I could find more but I don't want to as the car has been great and gets A LOT of attention.

Moving forward, I am in a transition period in my life where I want to minimise my outgoings to allow me to save more for a decent, one in a lifetime trip next year and the difference will just about pay for that.

I wanted a cheaper car and getting an S3 as a 'cheap' car makes me extremely fortunate.

Just to give you an idea. It will save me more than £550 a month going from M2 to S3.

Hope that helps!

Interesting to hear your opinion, from someone who also loves the car. You seem to have highlighted the negatives we all speak of on here, build quality and interior being the main ones. Did you ever have any issues putting the power down with RWD only?

That is a massive saving, so I can understand why you are so keen to. Is that just finance or overall running? I've noticed that BMW seem to put a premium on all services related to M? Whereas I think Audi are a little more sensible. For example, my first service is booked in on the 16th.. £156 (that is on 10k/yearly servicing, not longlife) which is very good!

The S3 is great, the only thing it lacks is the noise as ever but overall is a good car. I'd recommend getting the centre box delete a lot of us have, which costs around £100 in a back street exhaust shop. It totally transforms the car into everything it always should have been. It makes the pops great fun, because before they were very subtle. I will be interested to hear your thoughts once you make the transition.

Thanks all.

Hope that helps!

I went S3 to a manual M2 .....which I absolutely love.
As a drivers car - it's epic.

But I do see where you are coming from. I have not had any issues you mention except the obvious reverse bleeps and instrument lighting joke!

LCI has fixed most things......but it's a also a few £k more expensive than I paid in Dec to buy now.

Regard grip. That's been the biggest surprise to me. It feels just as grippy as all my recent 4 wheel drive cars in the wet and in the dry it's outstanding.

Reactions: Benji34, PanamaS3 and Audi Bairn
@eugegall welcome back. I vaguely remember you. Very nice car, hope you enjoy. :)

Reactions: eugegall
Interesting to hear your opinion, from someone who also loves the car. You seem to have highlighted the negatives we all speak of on here, build quality and interior being the main ones. Did you ever have any issues putting the power down with RWD only?

That is a massive saving, so I can understand why you are so keen to. Is that just finance or overall running? I've noticed that BMW seem to put a premium on all services related to M? Whereas I think Audi are a little more sensible. For example, my first service is booked in on the 16th.. £156 (that is on 10k/yearly servicing, not longlife) which is very good!

The S3 is great, the only thing it lacks is the noise as ever but overall is a good car. I'd recommend getting the centre box delete a lot of us have, which costs around £100 in a back street exhaust shop. It totally transforms the car into everything it always should have been. It makes the pops great fun, because before they were very subtle. I will be interested to hear your thoughts once you make the transition.

Never any problems putting the power down unless its wet. There is no knocking it. Its an amazing car, just not for me right now.

I went S3 to a manual M2 .....which I absolutely love.
As a drivers car - it's epic.

But I do see where you are coming from. I have not had any issues you mention except the obvious reverse bleeps and instrument lighting joke!

LCI has fixed most things......but it's a also a few £k more expensive than I paid in Dec to buy now.

Regard grip. That's been the biggest surprise to me. It feels just as grippy as all my recent 4 wheel drive cars in the wet and in the dry it's outstanding.

I agree in regards to road grip. As mentioned, when I'm giving it some, its unbelievable. Simple as that.

Why not an RS3 then?

Given the choice of an RS3 and M2, I'd keep the M2 every time.

One of the main reasons is to save money over what it costs with the M2. Getting an RS3 wouldn't do that.

In other news! I prefer the S3 over the RS3.

@eugegall welcome back. I vaguely remember you. Very nice car, hope you enjoy. :)

Thanks! I'll be around a little more, thats for sure.

Reactions: PanamaS3, AudiNutta and Sandra
M2 looks awful imho, good choice with the S3.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jassyo06, AudiNutta and Sandra
My son sells beemers now after 4 years with Audi, l have driven a few now and to be honest they have grown on me as I never liked them before but l have to say they're needing there **** felt.... Or on a more global term of phrase they're needing there bawz booted... With the 1 and 2 series cars interiors it's poor in comparison to the rest of the BMW range and with the A3, but £50k for one of them M2s no not at that price it's not special enough just my opinion of course lol yeah wise choice going for a s3 even just to save money

Reactions: PanamaS3 and Sandra
nice write up on M2 @eugegall .....always good to hear how the other half lives/lived :)
what stops me going the route you did is all about $$$$....I often think designers in Germany are toying with us....they must talk...."hey, I vill juss make eet look great on zee inside....vy don't yoo juss make eet look great on zee outside"
interestingly read a mag write up recently on the new M240i Xdrive sounding like it was the best of both worlds between the 2 marques...but judging by your comments doesn't sound like the M2 needed much help in the grip department....still can't help wishing Audi had gone a bit bolder on the RS3 design to differentiate it from A/S3 as think they would have killed it for anyone wavering over upgrading from S3....anyway, think you are going to love the S3 even with the savings as a huge bonus...good luck!

Reactions: Djs3saloon and Jassyo06
M2 looks awful imho, good choice with the S3.

Wow. I've not heard that feedback before.

My son sells beemers now after 4 years with Audi, l have driven a few now and to be honest they have grown on me as I never liked them before but l have to say they're needing there **** felt.... Or on a more global term of phrase they're needing there bawz booted... With the 1 and 2 series cars interiors it's poor in comparison to the rest of the BMW range and with the A3, but £50k for one of them M2s no not at that price it's not special enough just my opinion of course lol yeah wise choice going for a s3 even just to save money

I was driving a brand new X5M today, which costs more than £100k!!! The interior was so average I was shocked! ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND POUNDS!!!!!

Exactly my opinion. Its a fantastic car and certainly is very special, however not for the money. I'd rather save a bundle and have a brilliant S3.

nice write up on M2 @eugegall .....always good to hear how the other half lives/lived :)
what stops me going the route you did is all about $$$$....I often think designers in Germany are toying with us....they must talk...."hey, I vill juss make eet look great on zee inside....vy don't yoo juss make eet look great on zee outside"
interestingly read a mag write up recently on the new M240i Xdrive sounding like it was the best of both worlds between the 2 marques...but judging by your comments doesn't sound like the M2 needed much help in the grip department....still can't help wishing Audi had gone a bit bolder on the RS3 design to differentiate it from A/S3 as think they would have killed it for anyone wavering over upgrading from S3....anyway, think you are going to love the S3 even with the savings as a huge bonus...good luck!

The M2 honestly doesn't need any help in the grip department. Thats why it has gone down as one of the most special and well balanced M cars for years/forever. Its just a little beast on track and it only gets better the harder you push it.

Reactions: PanamaS3 and Audi Bairn
Wow. I've not heard that feedback before.

I was driving a brand new X5M today, which costs more than £100k!!! The interior was so average I was shocked! ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND POUNDS!!!!!

Exactly my opinion. Its a fantastic car and certainly is very special, however not for the money. I'd rather save a bundle and have a brilliant S3.

The M2 honestly doesn't need any help in the grip department. Thats why it has gone down as one of the most special and well balanced M cars for years/forever. Its just a little beast on track and it only gets better the harder you push it.
Car magazine.... In its Car of the Year.. Compo last year Blew the M2 almost straight out of the competition.... Because of its choppy ride characteristics....... Very unsettling on B roads... But the Golf R continued in the competition..... Again just some motoring journalists opinions but who buys a car based on these.... As l said in my last post l have grown to like beemers really liked this one last night.... And the colour really is a grower, another M2 gripe of mine the lack of choice in colours
DSC 0003

Last edited:
Reactions: azibux1, Rolly12 and Djs3saloon
Car magazine.... In its Car of the Year.. Compo last year Blew the M2 almost straight out of the competition.... Because of its choppy ride characteristics....... Very unsettling on B roads... But the Golf R continued in the competition..... Again just some motoring journalists opinions but who buys a car based on these.... As long said last have grown to like beemers really liked this one last night.... And the colour really is a grower, another M2 gripe of mine the lack of choice in colours View attachment 132531

M4 Comp Pack. Very nice indeed.

I also agree about lack of colour choice. You can't even change the colour of the seats. Proper annoying.

I wouldn't have gone for white given another decent choice.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Car magazine.... In its Car of the Year.. Compo last year Blew the M2 almost straight out of the competition.... Because of its choppy ride characteristics....... Very unsettling on B roads... But the Golf R continued in the competition..... Again just some motoring journalists opinions but who buys a car based on these.... As l said in my last post l have grown to like beemers really liked this one last night.... And the colour really is a grower, another M2 gripe of mine the lack of choice in colours View attachment 132531

No doubt there's a lot of pluses with some beemers but for the last year or so I've found their front and rear diffusers hideous. The rear of the M2, including those horrible vertical slots or reflectors, is ugly as is the front of the 3 like your sons one in the pic. Dubious styling to say the least.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman, Jassyo06 and Terminator x
Welcome back, and I enjoyed reading through this thread!!

Love your M2, but an S3 sounds like a wise choice given the monies your mentioned.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and eugegall
No doubt there's a lot of pluses with some beemers but for the last year or so I've found their front and rear diffusers hideous. The rear of the M2, including those horrible vertical slots or reflectors, is ugly as is the front of the 3 like your sons one in the pic. Dubious styling to say the least.

Was actually discussing the vertical reflectors today at work with a BMW owner and how awful they look. Pass a white M2 in the mornings and thought it made it quite cheap looking. Agree with the interior too, it's the same as basic 1&2 series so nothing special really. My neighbour has just got an M2 in long beach blue and have to say that colour is stunning in the flesh.

However the comment on the X5M interior I'm surprised at, my old man has an X6 and I think the interior is really smart with leather dash and cool ambient lighting looks really good imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06