I'm back I've got another Audi (C5 Allroad) - all is well in the world....... BUT!

MrBroon

Reaction score
Website
www.sicherheit.co.uk
Hi All,

I'm back, I've not been on the board since having my C6 2.7 Le Man and selling it last year.

I've now got a 2001 Allroad with around 190k on the clock. It's an AKU? so 180Bhp 2.5TDi Auto. It's got lots of stamps in the book and has had the gearbox fluids changed at around 160k.

So I got the car yesterday and all looked well, drove ok, had the usual suspension grumbes from the multilinks on the drivers front (get that sorted next week) however I went to start the car today and (bear with me here as I've not had a C5 since 2004) instead of the gearbox display at the bottom of the DIS showing that I'm in P or D etc with the red square the whole lot [234DRP] are lit up red. I didn't notice it at first I just put it into D and tried to drive off. At this point it was like I was driving a 1 litre diesel. It couldn't pull the skin of a custard! I spotted the red on 234DRP and remembered that this meant it could be that the gearbox was in limp mode. I drove a coulple of yards and parked up again (now very dismayed with my purchase). I turned the car off, left it for 30 secs and tried it again this time leaving it sitting at position 2 for 10 seconds before turning the car over. This time the car worked A-ok and drive was back to normal. I've since stopped and started a couple of times and it happens every time you start the car quickly.

The gist of this is I need some real help here from some techno legends. I need to know what to start looking at. I'm hoping it's not a gearbox overhaul that is required as the car runs fine when it starts without the issue it never degrades to limp-home mode it just seems to either start like that or not.

Any help would be much appreciated and any general help also regarding allroads would be useful.

If anyone has the little panel and triangle from the boot for sale or spots one please let me know as this is MIA.

regards,

Jim.

My car is suffering from the same problems, what started out is an intermitant fault is now permenant, i am told by an ex audi mechanic that this is a common fault which is actually the ECU located insude the transmission, sound horrendous i know but apparantly it is easily accessed through a plate on the caseing. I have been told they can be repaired for £350.00 and come with a 2 year wrty but you have to send them away and put the original back in the car as they are vehicle specific. I am having a VAG diagnostics done on the car tomorrow to confirm this so i will keep you posted.:blackrs4:

had the diagnostic done and it turns out to be what is called the Transmission Range Sensor, water gets into the plug which is located on the side of the transmission. Click on this link and there is a more in depth explanation http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=2641952. This switch senses what gear is selected in the transmission and feeds the info to the rest of the cars relivant electronics. I am going to price one up with my local Audi dealer tomorrow.