I'm a victim of a hit and run

Gweev

Reaction score
Last night we heard a bang and clatter outside our house and jumped to look out the window to see a grey van with roof ladders driving past. I shot out the house to find this:

IMAG1333-1.jpg

IMAG1334-1.jpg

Big black scuffs on the rear quarter and the rear wheel is pointing inwards. Not driveable! I'm totally gutted and my wife was in tears. We've only had the car from new for two months.

We didn't the get reg number of the scrote, but my son and I took a walk up the road to see if we can see anything. About half way up the road we saw a grey van with roof ladders coming towards us, i.e. in the opposite direction. My son jumps out in front of it and asks the driver if he's coming back to own up. The driver denies all knowledge so we check his van and predictably its covered in scratches so we can't tell if any of them are off my car. So, we walk on. Meanwhile my wife is outside our house with the car phoning the police when the van comes past, turns around then parks five doors up. My wife, not knowing we've already spoken to him, goes up to the driver and accuses him of hitting the car which he denies. However, he then walks back to our car and inspects the damage before again denying it. This is suspicious enough for my wife to mention it to the police. However, they refuse to come out to deal with it.

This is the third time we've been a victim of crime and the third time the police have not been bothered to come out to deal with it. This is just rubbing salt in the wounds. Totally pi$$ed off!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gutted for you mate. Looks like the van driver was trying to park up near your car? Then had to continue up and turn round to park further down.

Unfortunately sh1t happens and is one of those things that cannot be proven definitively. Terrible about the police response too - personally we have had similar instances where we have called them and had no response. It has now happened, can only sort it out and move on now.

Can you park off the road?

And yet you'd be classed as the bad guy for taking a hammer to his piece of ***t of a van. That sucks mate about the police I've had a car nicked and damaged (smashed window), and was told to call 101 or whatever the stupid 'non important' crime number is. It unfortunately just turns you into a vigilante. I bet you can't get a rebate on your council tax for the police not helping either.

Did the photos i uploaded work? I can only see the URL's.

Our garage and drive is in the back garden as we live at the corner of two roads and the pi$$er is we always put the car in the drive behind 6-foot gates when we go to bed, but this was 9.30pm so we hadn't done it yet.

And the police's attitude is if I can't prove it was him, then there's no offense of failing to report. I suggested that maybe he's denying it because he's had a drink so might be over the limit and the police suggested that I should go and smell his breath myself!!!!

That's just wrong leaving the scene after hitting you!
I know I'd be gutted, especially if it was only months old.
Glad mine is tucked away in the garage after seeing things like this!

Hope you get it sorted mate.

Thanks.

Its just been recovered to a local bodyshop. Its a Lex lease car so i can't demand it goes to Audi.

So, it looks like I'm driving a 1.6 Focus for the next week or so!!

Do any of your neighbours have CCTV cameras installed? If they're looking up their driveway then they might cover the road too - they might have footage of your neighbour's van driving away from the direction of your car at the time of the accident? Or maybe even towards it moments prior? Seeing as though you heard the bang you'll know exactly what time it happened. Worth a shot

Sh*t, hard luck. I park on the road and am constantly worried about this happening. Hope you get it sorted.

Get a tape measure out and measure the height of the scrapes. Go to the van in daylight and look on the side that done the damage and see if you can match up the damage, or better still ask him to park his van next to your car! Unless its too late for that :(

Treat fire with fire mate just report him and say you seen him from bedroom window to much coinsedance there

We've included his van details on the insurance claim so we'll see what happens. But if he continues to deny it was him, then it will down to the insurance company to investigate. The recovery driver said the marks on my car look like the van's tyre did the damage, which might explain why it was so hard to tell his van did it. However, if the force was enough to knock my rear wheel out of line, then I'm hoping his van also has some steering or suspension damage.