I'm a new boy...

jshepturbo

Reaction score
Hello people...
My name is James Shepherd or Shep, I'm 24 and after years ******* about with french TAT (306 GTi6 and 205GTi) I have bought my first German car! It's a black 2003 Audi turbo and I'm ****** loving it at the moment.

Few points to make...

1. I've never had a turbo car before... I had no idea the lag would be as bad as it is... and I'm fairly sure it's running correctly.

2. The engine management light came on a couple of weeks back... but hasn't been on since. It didn't go to safe mode or anything so I assume it has reset itself?!?!

3. It has just had a waterpump, cambelt and a clutch which is great but has just hit 60k miles and needs a service. Ideally I will do it myself next weekend. Where do you boys buy service parts?! decent plugs and leads, which oil and filter?! Plus what else should be done at 60k? Coolant change...

4. My car has a CD player with a changer in the boot, is this standard?

5. I have noticed a slightly poor idle for upto 10 seconds... especially when the blowers are on max, so I just dont use any electrics before starting. Normal I assume? And one day last week I started it and had no throttle?! It simply would not rev. I turned it off, waited and re-started and all was fine. It had a BAD idle too. Really needs new spark plugs I guess. Anyone recognise these symtoms?! I bet everyone says hook it up to Vagcom, which is a fair point!

6. I treated myself to some very expensive Mcguires cleaning products and if you haven't tried them DO IT! Your car is worth it!!!

Overall, loving the quality of the A3. I don't think it will stay standard for very long! Anyone selling some nice wheels?!
Nice to meet y'all

Shep

Welcome. Shouldnt be too much lag although I havent driven a standard k03/s setup.

I would get the car plugged into vagcom to check for any issues.

There may be an intermittent issue hence why the em light came on briefly.

The cd changer is quite often in the boot. Although the bose upgrade has it in the headunit/dash.

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/

When I get up Im gonna be giving my car a good going over. Mostly poor boys stuff just now.

1. The turbo shouldnt really have much lag at all, mine isnt all that bad, when i first got my car i thought it was bad but i bet it feels like non compared to some other cars.
4. yer its standard i think, ive got one in mine.

Good mods to get first before remap is a forge 077 diverter valve ( has to be recirculating) decent filter, ive just got a green panel filter, then a silicone intake hose, as the normal intake hose is very restrictive.

I your car the 180bhp anniversary model ? 2003 is when the anniversary model is avaiable. is it a quattro or fwd

and

new.jpg

Yeah everyone that has been in it says there is no lag at all!
And its not a Quattro!!! I would of mentioned that!! It's the 150bhp FWD. Getting a Quattro is like admitting you can't afford an S3! I live close to work so this is just a toy! I couldn't justify an S3 as a toy! And there are plenty of Quattro's pre 2003 so I'm not sure what this anniversary model is?!

Shep

Im 18 cant get an s3! what you on a bout i said 2003 annivarsary model, nothing bout a 2003 quattro, a 2003 plate fwd 180bhp standar, like a golf annivarsary 230 standard. !! ive got a 02 plate quattro so i knows theres pre 2003 quattros. ill have an s3 one day, the rs3 !! :jump:

See I proven my newbie-ness then... I didn't know there was a 180bhp FWD model! Is it just called the Anniversary model then... I will go and research that now! Sorry about that Emery!! You are 18?! Born in 1990!!! That's mad and makes me feel OLD!!
I had been told a recirculating valve is what I want! And a decent filter. Won't be long til that happens I'm sure!!

Would anyone like to value my car? I think I got a good deal bearing in mind it has just had alot of big work done, 12months MOT etc

Minty, thanks for the links, I like the vwspares site already! Very reasonable prices!

no worrys mate, i just did some reserach to and found this link http://www.autoevolution.com/engine/audi-a3-5-doors-1999-18t-180-hp.html it doesnt say anything about a an annivasary model though, when i was looking for my car i kept finding these 03 plated fwd a3's on autotrader saying its the annivasrary model, thats why i asked if it was the 180bhp as yours is an 03 plate. hey might not even exist though, im a newb to lol i just got my dv and panel for £140, you can fit them yourselfs, just fiddly to get the jubalee clips off, i broke my oil breather pipe whilst doing it !

I thought the anniverserary(sp) model refered to a Mk4 Golf, 180bhp engine, special wheels and body kit. No such thing as far as i am aware on the A3. They are 150 for fwd, and 180 for quattro

At 18 for me, the S3 wasnt even made, i had a mk2 ecsort

Yeah I'm pretty sure Emery was talking drivel ;-)
I am interested in where you got your dv and cone for £140?!?! Hard to argue at that price!!
Oh yeah I totally forgot to ask this, but assume it's no good.... the Haynes Manual for the A3... ANY GOOD?!

Hi,

Welcome......why are your wheels so small??!. ;)

T

Yeah tell me about it Tom... but I've only just got the car. You should see the height of the tyre wall!!!
But anyway... you can't comment, those RS4 double spoke things looks absolutely gash :puke2:Explain your choice!!

Yeah tell me about it Tom... but I've only just got the car. You should see the height of the tyre wall!!!
But anyway... you can't comment, those RS4 double spoke things looks absolutely gash :puke2:Explain your choice!!

What I mean is your car should have 16s on it I think, they look like 15's on your car at the moment.

These are the A3 Turbo wheels...

3245621296_d3e61f5fb0_b.jpg

As for my choice in wheel, dont worry about them as I'm the one thats got to drive it ;)

T

Yes they are some random 15's, wasn't aware the Turbo Sport came with 16's though, I literally know nothing about this Audi lark.
And don't be worrying about my wheels anyway, you ain't gotta drive it!
Aero wipers is a cool mod if ever I heard one. Do they wipe dead flys away or smudge them?! I assume you have to change the wiper arms aswell as they are a different fit? Total cost?!

I could really get into this A3 :)
Does anyone run wheels with a dish?! It's hard work searching the photo thread, just too much up there!

And don't be worrying about my wheels anyway, you ain't gotta drive it!

:moa::laugh:

Aerowipers are an easy mod, you can buy them to fit straight onto your current wiper arms.

Dished rims look lovely on an A3, BBS LM's are very nice...you can get replicas though which will cost you about 600 notes for a set including tyres. Loads of threads on here about them. Genuine ones are mega bucks!.

I was going to leave my A3 standard until I joined this site....now my wallets empty :(

ha the insurance stopped me lol. £3000 with the same insures, or £1800, ill get one one day though, but the new shape. IF the rs3 comes out, by time im 25 they should be down a fair bit !

And jkm, that aint cheaper i dont rekon, just normal, i picked up so no delivary costs. £43 panel filter, and £87 for the forge 007.

Nah i aint driven one either. I could of waited a year to get one, but ive got the need for speed, so i dint :)

as for the anniversary, yer i dont rekon there is such thing lol, the golf i was aware of, was gonna get a golf.