Illuminated door kick plates

• Thread starter Deleted member 117185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 117185

I believe the front door kick plates light up on the fl rs3. Is it the same for the rear door kick plates too?

Found a set of illuminated ones on eBay and just wondering if they’re worth buying. Would hate to buy them and then find the wiring isn’t there for them under the doors (prefl, so wasn’t an option I don’t believe...)

@DJAlix donyou know?

Factory supplied units are wired. OEM Accessory are battery.

Doubt there would be any wires in place to wire in factory replacements, and running the wires in would be a nightmare.

I'm wiring leds to external handles through rubber grommets, by the door hinges and it is doable.
Will be hooked up to leds at the bottom of the side mirrors but from the module inside the front doors.
You could run it to the puddle lights.

Advisory. Don't know your car but mine front door rubber grommet access is a right pita.

It does take time but the job completed gives the effect.

Still working on it
c5e66fa2cf1f91803ee51ff1ed9cea3e.jpg
3de3aee831f48bf8f4df53978c9b70de.jpg
5980e27852f24282b51496ab5b25b895.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm wiring leds to external handles through rubber grommets, by the door hinges and it is doable.
Will be hooked up to leds at the bottom of the side mirrors but from the module inside the front doors.

Advisory. Don't know your car but mine front door rubber grommet access is a right pita.

Still working on it

Door Handels and Kick Plates are two different things unfortunately. Running wiring in to the doors is pretty simple as you can follow the existing wiring loom. Running wiring in to the lower door shut is a very very different thing and will prolly require drilling.

Fair point but still doable

Anything is doable if you have the time and the budget :)

Sounds like a non starter if you ask me haha. Can’t find any battery powered RS3 kick plates either, just ones that have the Audi logo in :(

Anything is doable if you have the time and the budget :)

Just going back to that, I’ve been having a bit of researching, could a feed not come from the footwell lighting?

Just going back to that, I’ve been having a bit of researching, could a feed not come from the footwell lighting?
Can take the needed feed from several places but I think people are missing my point here. The kick plates sit on top of the body work... how are you gonna route wires to them? Lay them on top of the door shut? Don't think so. You will need to feed the wires under the floor, make a hole under the planned position for the kick plate and then feed said wires through. All well and good if there is a hole already there but if not its time to get a drill out. Question is then how do you run the wires in through such a long and tight space?

I am guessing there is a reason the OEM accessory plates are battery powered and the factory ordered OEM plates are wired :)

You will need to drill out new holes under the planned plates, as you've suggested.
That way you could run them to nearest power point you want to hook up or nearest point out and than run the wires to connection point under the trims.

@DJAlix, if he hook them plates to footwell lights, he will have them on all the time and contoll them as ambient light through mmi.
Best would be to hook up with door flood lights. This would allow them to come on only when the doors are open but wiring is more complex.
As you've said, it is possible but will take more time. Not neccesarly money. It's just few more metres of wire.

All said, you can still get the battery powered plates and hook them up to live feed but need to make sure voltage is kept same as batteries.

You will need to drill out new holes under the planned plates, as you've suggested.
That way you could run them to nearest power point you want to hook up or nearest point out and than run the wires to connection point under the trims.

@DJAlix, if he hook them plates to footwell lights, he will have them on all the time and contoll them as ambient light through mmi.
Best would be to hook up with door flood lights. This would allow them to come on only when the doors are open but wiring is more complex.
As you've said, it is possible but will take more time. Not neccesarly money. It's just few more metres of wire.

All said, you can still get the battery powered plates and hook them up to live feed but need to make sure voltage is kept same as batteries.

Well you have to remember I come at it from a professional point of view, where time = money. Personaly I would just use the OEM accessory plates. Genuine quality, battery powered, CR3032 (or whatever they are called), with a magnet on the door for on a off. No faffing around , no mess and no drilling / no holes for possible water ingress, and the batteries last years.

Reactions: DW81 and KrisKrk
Well you have to remember I come at it from a professional point of view, where time = money. Personaly I would just use the OEM accessory plates. Genuine quality, battery powered, CR3032 (or whatever they are called), with a magnet on the door for on a off. No faffing around , no mess and no drilling / no holes for possible water ingress, and the batteries last years.

Do you have a link for them please?

Can’t seem to find them on the net...

Do you have a link for them please?

Can’t seem to find them on the net...
Available via any parts department or supplier, many different styles including carbon effect. Never seen any 3rd parties selling OEM ones.

I was going to say there is nothing at all for our rs3 cars

Attachments

• Rear Kick Plate.jpg
    Rear Kick Plate.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 604
  • Rear Kick Plate 1.jpg
    Rear Kick Plate 1.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 675
Reactions: hawesy25
Although not illuminated, I fitted these to the rear sills which match the front ones perfectly. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Audi-Door-Sill-Audi-A3-Rear-2-Pcs-Ziereinlage-Aluminium/132936316946?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
This is a top of the range car so why weren't these fitted at the factory, penny pinching again.

Just ordered a set of these from TPS, they look good. I was going to go with illuminated Quattro ones on the rear but you can only buy them as a full set which is no good, so I’m going to settle for the ones you just posted.

My auto electrician buddy also reckons he can fit the factory illuminated door sills by tapping into the puddle light looms....think I may just go ahead of that, still a bit steep at £150 for the OEM illuminated ones though!

Reactions: deepy

Still working on it

Wire it up to more power to electrocute thieves lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: KrisKrk