Ignitron ECU

You, me and a lot of other people apparently. Hopefully in the next release.
I have a little test track where I do my 3rd gear pulls. Nice and flat and I always try and accelerate at the same point. Usually go from around 15-1700 rpm.
The calculation Ignitron makes for power and torque Is quite ball park and seems to vary quite a bit especially with different air temps. I have logged a lot of 3rd gear acceleration runs and used virtual dyno to actually check the vechicle acceleration to better understand what works better. Just because Ignitron gives a bigger bhp/torque reading this doesn't mean the tune has improved. Especially if you have retarded timing due to knock.

I’m guessing you work out an average on so many 3rd gear pulls and then compare it to a figure you know it is for definite, like a rolling road. I’m just curious how the Ignitron ECU estimations compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good thread Ash, if everyone keeps adding to this it will really help everyone who runs ignitron & wanting to learn how to use it to it's potential.....i'll be joining the gang once I have my car finished, just need to work out how to mount the tablet as I removed my centre vents to install a triple gauge pod

Last edited:
Reactions: S3AMJ
Good thread Ash, if everyone keeps adding to this it will really help everyone who runs ignitron & wanting to learn how to use it to it's potential.....i'll be joining the gang once I have my car finished, just need to work out how to mount the tablet as I removed my centre vents to install a triple gauge pod
You won't need those once you have a tablet lol

<tuffty/>

and for those who dont already know, there is already in place a facebook group page for users to share and ask questions....
here>> << any mods fix this stupid forum bs here?

regards

Reactions: ADs3
Very interesting kit.
So I see that the Ignitron has Haldex capabilities. Does this mean it can do the job of a HPA TouchMotion for a 8L S3?

Very interesting kit.
So I see that the Ignitron has Haldex capabilities. Does this mean it can do the job of a HPA TouchMotion for a 8L S3?
You can't have ABS active if you use the Haldex controller at the moment... Will require a separate module which I believe is being considered at the moment

<tuffty/>

Thanks <tuffty/>
Havent got the S3 yet, hopefully will pick it up in mid Feb.
I plan to run this as my daily and then use it for Hillclimb/sprints. So ideally, a system that allows me to run close to stock on the road, but switch to a remap and a Haldex mode to mimic the Blue Controller for competition events, maybe along with launch control and anti-lag.
Assuming everything else is left stock, is the Ignitron able to do this with a stock Haldex Gen 1 controller? Just thinking the money on a remap, HPA touch could be spent more effectively on this along with a trip to Bagder5 to set preset maps.
Achievable? Or wishful thinking?

Quick question peeps, so I’m going to be taking my car to a garage to fit my suspension for me. Can I force the car into limp mode so they don’t get carried away with it

Quick question peeps, so I’m going to be taking my car to a garage to fit my suspension for me. Can I force the car into limp mode so they don’t get carried away with it

Sadly no... Brian and I have discussed a 'valet' mode but the solution I was going to use my self was to create a valet map where N75 is unmapped and rev limit set to 4k or something... maybe see if I can set the full throttle to be 20%...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: hydro s3
Sadly no... Brian and I have discussed a 'valet' mode but the solution I was going to use my self was to create a valet map where N75 is unmapped and rev limit set to 4k or something... maybe see if I can set the full throttle to be 20%...

<tuffty/>

Ah ok, thanks PT. I’m assuming there’s a little more involved than just unticking boxes. I’m still learning the ins and outs as you can appreciate. Would you mind explaining to me at some point, like a how to. Or even posting something on here?

Once I have worked out how to do it yeah... sadly I don't have enough power to worry about somebody going silly in mine yet LOL.... but will have a butchers when I get 5 mins and work something out

<tuffty/>

Once I have worked out how to do it yeah... sadly I don't have enough power to worry about somebody going silly in mine yet LOL.... but will have a butchers when I get 5 mins and work something out

<tuffty/>

Thanks again dude. You’ve made awesome progress with the car, I’m sure it won’t be long before you’ve got lots or horses to play with again

That’s one thing a dash can is good for I’d never have one I don’t think probably be used against me n lose my license ha

I'd be more worried about them breaking the headlight levelling sensors than driving the car if its some random garage... 99.99999999999% change of the rear one breaking if not disconnected while swapping springs...

Ignitron can't help you there though lol

<tuffty/>

I'd be more worried about them breaking the headlight levelling sensors than driving the car if its some random garage... 99.99999999999% change of the rear one breaking if not disconnected while swapping springs...

Ignitron can't help you there though lol

<tuffty/>

Haha mines already broken pretty sure it’s just cabled tied up..... I got fed up of replacing them all the time.

Another thing that would be good would be the ability the lock the ECU with say a code. Like an additional immobiliser....

Haha mines already broken pretty sure it’s just cabled tied up..... I got fed up of replacing them all the time.

Another thing that would be good would be the ability the lock the ECU with say a code. Like an additional immobiliser....

You can password protect IECU

<tuffty/>

You can password protect IECU

<tuffty/>

Would password protecting the IECU prevent the car from starting until you physically put the password in? Or does that just prevent people from playing around with your map and such mate?

Couldn't you just manually unplug the n75 so it runs on actuator pressure if you're that worried............

Couldn't you just manually unplug the n75 so it runs on actuator pressure if you're that worried............

They could plug it back in mate... I’m not overly worried, but still if the option was there at the press of a button and the garage or anyone else for that matter wouldn’t know how to change it.

So long story short.....

I’m planning a complete plug and play setup with a tablet, I will go into more detail once I’ve got it all up and running.

But can someone explain why I can’t get the USB driver to install. When I plugged IECU into a different tablet it works fine, but this one suggests that the driver isn’t installed.

*Update*

Managed to install the driver with Zadig but still fails to read the ECU when plugged in....

Last edited:
If you're on Win10 then it may be due to the security settings which as default don't allow unsigned drivers. I've just had the same issue installing the software on a new laptop - solution copypasta'd from https://acer.co/2QIHgqe

Windows 10 enforces driver signatures by default. This can be disabled to install drivers that are not digitally signed. Use the following steps to disable driver signature enforcement.

1. Click the Start
    icon_windows8_key.png
    menu
    and select Settings.
  2. Click Update and Security.
  3. Click on Recovery.
  4. Click Restart now under Advanced Startup.
  5. Click Troubleshoot.
  6. Click Advanced options.
  7. Click Startup Settings.
  8. Click on Restart.
  9. On the Startup Settings screen press 7 or F7 to disable driver signature enforcement.
Your computer will restart and you will be able to install non-digitally signed drivers. If you restart your computer again the driver signature enforcement will be re-enabled.

In other iECU news, I finally got round to adding in the fuel rail pressure sensor I'd been meaning to do for months. Took me a little longer to figure out how to add the new sensor to the ECU than I should really admit but calculated the scaling and seems to be doing its thing nicely

82762342_10102188761972192_5619476824300978176_o.jpg

81887184_10102188764152822_5561251331353608192_o.jpg

Reactions: desertstorm
If you're on Win10 then it may be due to the security settings which as default don't allow unsigned drivers. I've just had the same issue installing the software on a new laptop - solution copypasta'd from https://acer.co/2QIHgqe

In other iECU news, I finally got round to adding in the fuel rail pressure sensor I'd been meaning to do for months. Took me a little longer to figure out how to add the new sensor to the ECU than I should really admit but calculated the scaling and seems to be doing its thing nicely

82762342_10102188761972192_5619476824300978176_o.jpg

81887184_10102188764152822_5561251331353608192_o.jpg

Thanks mate, went through the procedure but startup settings weren’t available. Must be another way. When I plug in the IECU it recognises it and shows working as normal in device manager. But does read or attempt to

Ok cured the problem..... I installed the wrong driver via Zadig.

For those wondering you need to install

libusb-win32

Ok cured the problem..... I installed the wrong driver via Zadig.

For those wondering you need to install

libusb-win32

the driver is windows version dependant tho dude.. 32bit? 64bit etc?

and if you wanted to have a no boost mode or slow as you like, you could just activate some map switching and set it to no duty cycle for n75, or if you wanted to manually set something, limit throttle opening to 20% max or something...

the driver is windows version dependant tho dude.. 32bit? 64bit etc?

and if you wanted to have a no boost mode or slow as you like, you could just activate some map switching and set it to no duty cycle for n75, or if you wanted to manually set something, limit throttle opening to 20% max or something...

Ah ok thanks Bill, oddly my one tablet is running Windows 10 64bit and the lisusb-win32 driver is working. I’ll keep an eye on that incase anything become unstable.

Awesome, I’ll have a look at that tonight and see if I can work out map switching, Karl did put some info on map switching further up in the thread.

Cool thread! :D Will try to participate (not much free time browsing forums tho)!

Well I think I’ve been teasing enough haha....

This is the setup I’ve been working on.

b89d12d7db4a97280fc4e1f9999e159d.jpg

So what you see here is a method of charging and transferring data to a tablet. Now I must say that this doesn’t work with all tablets, I took a bit of a shot in the dark but thankfully it actually works.

Here’s the list of things in the picture you’ll need. In order left to right.

USB to Micro USB charging cable.
OTG + Charging Hub adaptor.
USB Audio sound card.
USB wireless keyboard / trackpad.
Micro USB to USB female adaptor.
USB Magnetic charge cable.

This now allows me to remotely adjust stuff without touching the tablet with the keyboard / trackpad, read data live from the IECU, play music from the tablet through the Headunit and charge the Tablet all at the same time.

The Tablet I bought was £95 from amazon, if you search for - Jumper Ezpad Mini5.

I’ll upload some pictures of it all working at the weekend.

Reactions: ADs3, badger5, hydro s3 and 2 others
There are loads of features on the Ignitron and Bill has done loads of you tube videos . One really simple one that's really useful is the engine flush. The default setting is 50% throttle. So if you have more than 50% throttle when you crank the engine it won't start. Very handy when you want to build oil pressure after an oil change. No more pulling fuses, or disconnecting plugs. Just put your foot on the accelerator.

Reactions: S3AMJ and Tj 0785
A great find for those who are suffering from glare from there tablet screens.

protectionfilms24.com

I’ve ordered a couple from here, it’s a German company so you can expect good quality. You can get custom made ones as well which I may look at doing at a later stage.

They have all sorts of screen protectors, obviously the matte anti-glare is the one you want.

I’ll apply mine this weekend on my new tablet and take some pictures.

Last edited:
Ok guys here’s some pictures of the set up working... I’m still working on putting the cables behind the dash, fitting a 12v to 5v DC charger in the glove box which is required to charge the tablet and run everything else.

eff1b2c2ad5056b701527de993d8c627.jpg
c364ecf724e9d4f90c0f88192a1b6a8b.jpg
3ccc9266161ac51ed9c7444224ba915b.jpg

I’m working on making a way to mount the tablet in front of the original cluster as well.

7c81e85ea688359b178791ca15332f67.jpg
c73e2d440050202ab3f33096d99d04ba.jpg

By the way for those wondering, the little volume, track changer device I have on my steering wheel is so I can change tracks on the tablet, neat little Bluetooth device.

The other good thing about this tablet is it has 2 micro USB’s which most tablets only have 1. So I can plug in VCDS as well if I need to.

Last edited:
Reactions: desertstorm, hydro s3, ADs3 and 1 other person
Does having this ECU do away with the need for a vag-com cable? Only wondering because the ECU does all the logging that is needed doesn't it?

Yeah mate, basically the IECU uses a USB cable for reading/writing. But if you wanted to check on other modules in the car, for example ABS. Then you’d use the VAG-Com cable as usual.

Reactions: hydro s3
Ok guys here’s some pictures of the set up working... I’m still working on putting the cables behind the dash, fitting a 12v to 5v DC charger in the glove box which is required to charge the tablet and run everything else.

eff1b2c2ad5056b701527de993d8c627.jpg
c364ecf724e9d4f90c0f88192a1b6a8b.jpg
3ccc9266161ac51ed9c7444224ba915b.jpg

I’m working on making a way to mount the tablet in front of the original cluster as well.

7c81e85ea688359b178791ca15332f67.jpg
c73e2d440050202ab3f33096d99d04ba.jpg

By the way for those wondering, the little volume, track changer device I have on my steering wheel is so I can change tracks on the tablet, neat little Bluetooth device.

The other good thing about this tablet is it has 2 micro USB’s which most tablets only have 1. So I can plug in VCDS as well if I need to.

liking what you've done here. good work dude

liking what you've done here. good work dude

Thanks Bill. Might actually get some time to get it all sorted and mounted properly. You know how it is. Hope your settled into your new place nicely and it’s all come along ok.

Thanks Bill. Might actually get some time to get it all sorted and mounted properly. You know how it is. Hope your settled into your new place nicely and it’s all come along ok.

We're getting there..
new dyno cell coming along, workshop is a pigs stye - all taking time.
one day it will be nice and organised. lol

Reactions: S3AMJ
Have you worked out a way to mount the tablet yet?

I've come up with something if your interested, might be for you or might not be. Uses original mounting points & screws, you'll need to mod the steering wheel cowling to allow the brackets to fit but it's not a huge amount & doesn't look to bad tbh, can be removed in minutes with a screwdriver for when it's not needed. All sits nice & tight, doesn't jump about either so no chance of it departing half way around a corner.......I'm gonna patent this lol
20200303 162144 resized 1
20200303 143317 resized

Reactions: baliszoft, hydro s3 and S3AMJ
Have you worked out a way to mount the tablet yet?

I've come up with something if your interested, might be for you or might not be. Uses original mounting points & screws, you'll need to mod the steering wheel cowling to allow the brackets to fit but it's not a huge amount & doesn't look to bad tbh, can be removed in minutes with a screwdriver for when it's not needed. All sits nice & tight, doesn't jump about either so no chance of it departing half way around a corner.......I'm gonna patent this lolView attachment 198599 View attachment 198598

Looks good, I’ve designed what I’ve got to go in place just need to cut up some aluminium and paint it black. Bare with me

Very similar to what you’ve done, just without the hassle of removing it once it’s fitted.