1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ignition problem please help

Andrew Leighton Apr 6, 2018

1. Andrew Leighton

Andrew Leighton New Member

Hello All

Please can you help me with an issue I have? I have a 2002 Audi A4 V6 2.4 Petrol and since I bought my baby 18 months ago I haven't had any issues at all. Last week I went to start the engine and it ticked over but didn't fire up. The car finally started after a few attempts so I thought no more of it. After a long journey to see family my wife and I went into the local town and returned to the car she wouldn't start. My insurance got a mechanic out to me who has had a look at it. I explained that in December my plenum chamber blocked and I got water come through into the drivers footwell. This damaged the onboard power supply unit which is located behind the drivers dashboard. It played havoc with my lights and took a lot of investigation to diagnose the issue. I bought a used module from Germany and swapped them out.... Problem solved so I thought! No issues from December til now so the mechanic and I thought that water may have damaged some other systems and it has just taken longer for the effect to be felt. When the engine tries to start various faults are present relating to the secondary air intake and pressure however these are not permanent and clear when the engine is running? When the engine is trying to fire there is no fuel smell from the engine bay which made me think it may be the fuel pump? After light testing the fuel pump it appears to be running fine. Tracing the wiring back I end up at relay 614. This seems in good condition and when the engine runs it is operational. The ECU compartment is also in good sealed condition? If I back feed power from a live fuse to fuse 28 for the fuel pump and tick over the engine starts then the relay clicks in and the engine stays on.... This is only a temporary solution and after using this method of starting my car the engine management light came on today? Can anyone suggest a remady for this problem or have any people experienced this head scratcher?

Many thanks all

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro! VCDS Map User

Have you had vcds on the car to see what is happening?

Have earth points been checked over under the dash? (not sure where they would be, but on my citroen it caused no end of issues until cleaned them up.

4. Andrew Leighton

Andrew Leighton New Member

Hey S4 Dan

Thanks for the reply. I've had diagnostics carried out several times and it comes up with codes relating to the engine not firing but nothing to do with the ignition fault.... Sooooo frustrating..... I like you suggestion regarding the earth wires as I did have water through into the drivers footwell. I will let you know if I am successful.

Ta. Andy.