If your Audi died today what would you buy next?

Reaction score
My Audi is nothing special just a 2001 fwd 1.9tdi 130 5 speed but I love it. If it blew up I'd buy another straight away. The only other car that floats me is the BMW 330d.

Either another 1.9 same as mine and swap all the best parts over or if funds allowed a b8 3.0tdi quattro avant

Money no object: Ferrari FF

Money an object: Audi S4 Avant

B6 or if funds allow B7 S4 Avant (with APR Supercharger) :)

Reactions: DrStrange
Another B6 Avant, A6 Avant 3.0TDi or alot less realistically a B5 RS4!

Last edited:
Reactions: crazy88
The point dude is you are clearly very passionate about your Audi and you are currently trying to fit every extra. If someone wrote your car off would you buy another Audi or something else?
Might buy another audi I'm on my second now but r32 golf is getting me more and more every time I see one I always say oh r32 nice and the sound deffo makes me want one

Reactions: BakPak
I will probly stick with Audi most likely the new A3 as we have a Range Rover evoque so don't need another Avant, nothing else really does it for me.

Might buy another audi I'm on my second now but r32 golf is getting me more and more every time I see one I always say oh r32 nice and the sound deffo makes me want one
I love the Golf, I had a tdi a few years back and it was brilliant!

. The b6 is still the best looking A4 IMO![/QUOTE]

I agree closely followed by the B8.
I look at the newer models and think to myself "that looks nice" but when I walk back to my B6 it still makes me smile :)

A few months back a mate of mine told me he was thinking about trading in his Astra for something called an Insignia. Why?

I most certainly wouldn't buy a ****** Vauxhall Astra or any other breed they spawn.

Reactions: DrStrange
My parents bought a 2010 astra two years ago. They hate it. Since I got my A4 a year ago they have wanted an A3 Sportback!

I guess it's easy for us, "we know we're driving quality German cars".

Reactions: barkclark
I was faced with this decision just over 2 years ago:

My 2.5TDI quattro sport B6 (saloon) started feeling a bit long in the tooth: >12yrs old, 140k miles, it still felt like it had lots in it, but back to back £1k+ services and then we had a very nervous xmas 2012 we had a few electrical issues (that I sorted before selling)... so I decided that a serious upgrade was overdue - I was further pushed by a bit of a financial windfall and a growing family, so I decided we needed more space - probably a wagon of some sort for getting buggies and bikes in and out. I've go my eye on a small RWD run-about for myself (anything from an MX5 to an M3, funds tbc)... so the shortlist for the family car are all 4wd/quattro, so aside from a brief nose around some AMG R-wagons, all Audi's.

I tried out the A4's and A5's (sportback), but although there was better use of space, they're essentially the same size car as the B6 A4.

Eventually decided to step up a size or three: I looked at the C6 A6's, C7 A6's and A7's, even had a poke around a Q7 and an A8.

I also decided to drop the TDI from the list: I do ~4k miles per year and depreciation on petrol engines is massive, while the TDI's hang onto a lot more of their value, so I'd get more for my money going for a pre-reg'd petrol than a genuinely 2nd hand TDI!

One other reason for trying petrols again is that most are now forced induction, so they have the same mid-range torque that the TDI's have (the TFSI has slightly more torque than my old 2.5TDI, but revs to 7500rpm!)... so they still have that nice "push in the back" when you're accelerating gently, without thrashing the car.

Although VERY tempted by the A7, there was much less availability, especially in the 5-seat versions (all early A7's are 4 seat only)... and he costs were all a lot higher, both due to higher residuals and the killer was the insurance: for reference, my A4 was £750/yr (with some minor mods).... a 3.0TFSI A6 Avant was £380 and a 204PS 3.0TDI was £1200 (with the 3.0TFSI a lot higher)... I've seen these numbers come down since then, but 2 years ago, this was prohibitive.

I "settled" for a pre-reg'd C7 A6 Avant 3.0TFSI (same engine as the S4, but de-tuned to bleed more boost at higher revs) - is a pretty rapid car (0-60mph in 5.5secs) and not that I bought it for the economy, but it will return around 27-32mpg in mixed driving and high 30's on a motorway cruise, low 40's if you drive like a saint.

The biggest appeal was the future potential: if (when) I get bored with it, there's the full range of S4 mods available for it: aside from a different air filter and downpipe, the rest of the mods are the same to upgrade it to anything from 375-450bhp (ATW, apparently!!).

Post purchase regrets: not really, but after two years, the only minor niggle is that I keep thinking that if I'd opted for a cheaper 204PS TDI quattro, then I might have got my little sports car by now, but realistically, I'm normally driving the family around, so really glad I've got 300bhp in the family wagon :)

edit: and if you have any doubts about those 3.0TFSI engines, watch Chris HArris (EVO journo) and his S4 (just with a remap).... there's a LOT more available with soohting out the induction, pulley + remap!

Reactions: ruffrida
Loving this vid
I know... as soon as I saw that video, it validated the choice of the 3.0TFSI .... 375bhp-450bhp with minor mods (<£3k).... BUT if you're up for some serious mods, there's some tuners with that engine at around 600bhp... although that's with a new supercharger, revised induction and manifolds.

If my 2.5TDi properley blew up tomorrow (been close a few times and repaired - seized waterpump.etc) I would choose one of the following;
1 - Saab 9-3 TiD Aero
2 - BMW 335D

1 would be the practical option, could afford one and not need to borrow any cash.
2 would be the ideal almost exotic daily, it is affordable using a loan, but I have got used to not paying a loan for the A4 - first time I have finished a loan for a car since I started driving!

Cars used to be my motoring passion, they still are to some extent, but now I have a sports bike, the car has become a tool for work and commuting.
If I didnt have a bike then I would certainly be looking at purchasing a B7 3.0TDi Quattro / 335D.

If I was to replace mine on a budget, then I'd be after a B6 1.8TQS Avant.... or a 130TDI quattro sport Avant.... the 1.8T would be a nicer drive, but the TDI if I needed it as a commuter.... the 2.5TDI quattro was silky smooth and I did love it, but not sure if I'd buy one again...

If my 2.5TDi properley blew up tomorrow (been close a few times and repaired - seized waterpump.etc) I would choose one of the following;
1 - Saab 9-3 TiD Aero
2 - BMW 335D

1 would be the practical option, could afford one and not need to borrow any cash.
2 would be the ideal almost exotic daily, it is affordable using a loan, but I have got used to not paying a loan for the A4 - first time I have finished a loan for a car since I started driving!

Cars used to be my motoring passion, they still are to some extent, but now I have a sports bike, the car has become a tool for work and commuting.
If I didnt have a bike then I would certainly be looking at purchasing a B7 3.0TDi Quattro / 335D.

Agree with you on the BMW 335, cracking car but the Vauxhall in disguise! Really dude?

Agree with you on the BMW 335, cracking car but the Vauxhall in disguise! Really dude?

Haha, yes!
I had a Vectra C 1.9CDTi SRi before I bought the A4 - was used as a stop-gap after I wrote off my Ibiza Cupra :(
It was a suprisingly decent car, yes the ride was terrible, Iv pushed better handling wheelbarrows, but for the basics it did very well - and cheaply.

Thing with the Saab 9-3 is, only petrol heads know they are Vectras in suits. :)

I was faced with this decision just over 2 years ago:

My 2.5TDI quattro sport B6 (saloon) started feeling a bit long in the tooth: >12yrs old, 140k miles, it still felt like it had lots in it, but back to back £1k+ services and then we had a very nervous xmas 2012 we had a few electrical issues (that I sorted before selling)... so I decided that a serious upgrade was overdue - I was further pushed by a bit of a financial windfall and a growing family, so I decided we needed more space - probably a wagon of some sort for getting buggies and bikes in and out. I've go my eye on a small RWD run-about for myself (anything from an MX5 to an M3, funds tbc)... so the shortlist for the family car are all 4wd/quattro, so aside from a brief nose around some AMG R-wagons, all Audi's.

I tried out the A4's and A5's (sportback), but although there was better use of space, they're essentially the same size car as the B6 A4.

Eventually decided to step up a size or three: I looked at the C6 A6's, C7 A6's and A7's, even had a poke around a Q7 and an A8.

I also decided to drop the TDI from the list: I do ~4k miles per year and depreciation on petrol engines is massive, while the TDI's hang onto a lot more of their value, so I'd get more for my money going for a pre-reg'd petrol than a genuinely 2nd hand TDI!

One other reason for trying petrols again is that most are now forced induction, so they have the same mid-range torque that the TDI's have (the TFSI has slightly more torque than my old 2.5TDI, but revs to 7500rpm!)... so they still have that nice "push in the back" when you're accelerating gently, without thrashing the car.

Although VERY tempted by the A7, there was much less availability, especially in the 5-seat versions (all early A7's are 4 seat only)... and he costs were all a lot higher, both due to higher residuals and the killer was the insurance: for reference, my A4 was £750/yr (with some minor mods).... a 3.0TFSI A6 Avant was £380 and a 204PS 3.0TDI was £1200 (with the 3.0TFSI a lot higher)... I've seen these numbers come down since then, but 2 years ago, this was prohibitive.

I "settled" for a pre-reg'd C7 A6 Avant 3.0TFSI (same engine as the S4, but de-tuned to bleed more boost at higher revs) - is a pretty rapid car (0-60mph in 5.5secs) and not that I bought it for the economy, but it will return around 27-32mpg in mixed driving and high 30's on a motorway cruise, low 40's if you drive like a saint.

The biggest appeal was the future potential: if (when) I get bored with it, there's the full range of S4 mods available for it: aside from a different air filter and downpipe, the rest of the mods are the same to upgrade it to anything from 375-450bhp (ATW, apparently!!).

Post purchase regrets: not really, but after two years, the only minor niggle is that I keep thinking that if I'd opted for a cheaper 204PS TDI quattro, then I might have got my little sports car by now, but realistically, I'm normally driving the family around, so really glad I've got 300bhp in the family wagon :)

edit: and if you have any doubts about those 3.0TFSI engines, watch Chris HArris (EVO journo) and his S4 (just with a remap).... there's a LOT more available with soohting out the induction, pulley + remap!

Watched this Vid a while back and it did the same for me. Completely validated my reason for loving the 3 litre Supercharged S range.

To answer, If budget permitted, it would have to be the 2014 S5 V6T. It would then be off to the garage for a straight through exhaust and re-map.

I would then embrace the circa 400bhp with open arms :icon thumright: