If you had £100 to spend on your A3...

maxpayne

Reaction score
Hi There,

Just joined the club by buying a 2005 Audi A3 T FSI S-Line. Yay!
There's some work to be done (scratches/dents and maybe even new set of alloys) but IMO in very good condition for it's age :)

As a new owner, my first question is, if you had £100 to spare, what would you do/buy etc. to spruce up your ride?

Thanks!

I'd put a set of second hand spacers on to improve the stance, or see if you can pick up a used ARB for £100.

I would put the £100 towards the paintwork and sort out those scratches.

Reactions: maxpayne
I would want it running correctly before making it pretty.
If the diverter valve is still the original it could be on borrowed time. £50 for an OEM replacement or £100 for an uprated GFB DV+.
The fuel pump cam follower should be checked as if that wears through it is very bad news. parts and fitting for less than £100.
Does it need a thorough service?
And finally - Welcome to the club!!

Reactions: maxpayne
I'd invest a bit of cash on a dent/scratch removal kit and then invest time and effort in making it look nice. With the rest of the cash I would invest in fuel, go out and enjoy your car.

Reactions: Pex and maxpayne
Hi,

Thanks for the practical and useful tips.
The car has been serviced according to maintenance schedule (long life service) from Jack Barclay Audi in London for the last 9 years so I'm hoping that things were looked after properly.

The next scheduled long life service is at 3700 miles (soon) I will get things checked as you recommend. Just need to find a good independent garage that's hopefully cheaper than Jack Barclay :)

Cheers.

I would want it running correctly before making it pretty.
If the diverter valve is still the original it could be on borrowed time. £50 for an OEM replacement or £100 for an uprated GFB DV+.
The fuel pump cam follower should be checked as if that wears through it is very bad news. parts and fitting for less than £100.
Does it need a thorough service?
And finally - Welcome to the club!!

I would get the car off the long life service and onto the fixed interval servicing every year. However, I would still specify to the garage to use the long life oil.

Reactions: SootySport
Hi,

Not a car expert as such but aren't spacers generally a bad idea?

Thanks.

In theory yes as they can put additional strain on your wheel bearings but if you stick to the usual A3/S3 sizes (10mm front / 12mm rear) then you will have no issues. They increase the track of the car which not only improves looks (the wheel fits much better in the wheelarch) but it can sharpen up handling too.

The biggest bang for your buck will be a remap, followed by a rear ARB, but you will be lucky to get a remap for £100. Everything seems to cost £200+ on these cars.