IE8 help(it's crap!)

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hi guys, need a little help. I'm still using Windows XP here, and recently upgraded my browser from IE6 to IE8. But the problem I'm having with it is the scroll function on my touchpad. When it was IE6, I could scroll the screen up and down with the right hand side of my touchpad(I'm using a lappy), but IE8 has killed this function, not sure why? I also run Mozilla firefox on the same lappy too, and the screen scroll function still works on that.

Anyone got any ideas?

Wish l could help but havent had the chance to look into this IE8 in detail. l recently installed windows 7 on a works laptop. IE8 just crashes on the laptop and l cant be bothered to look into it, lm using google chrome for now, which is working just fine. l never use IE at home, firefox 3 works well although l prefer to use firefox 2 but as 3 is working for now l will leave it as it is. l tend not to upgrade software until l have seen it stable for a while.

Hi guys, need a little help. I'm still using Windows XP here, and recently upgraded my browser from IE6 to IE8. But the problem I'm having with it is the scroll function on my touchpad. When it was IE6, I could scroll the screen up and down with the right hand side of my touchpad(I'm using a lappy), but IE8 has killed this function, not sure why? I also run Mozilla firefox on the same lappy too, and the screen scroll function still works on that.

Anyone got any ideas?

Hi Joe

I am using Windows XP on my Sony laptop and I am also using IE8 so I think I may know how to get round the problem. I have my IE8 set to Compatibility View using Tools - Compatability View. When I have this set the scrolling using the RH edge of the touch pad works but when I switch off Compatabilty View it stops working. I've not yet found any site where the Compatablity View gives any problems.

I've just tried it with ASN and with CV off, it does not scroll, but as soon as I switch it on it works OK. No difference in the actual view of the site. I think you may need to set it to CV for each website.

Hope this helps.

Hi Joe

I am using Windows XP on my Sony laptop and I am also using IE8 so I think I may know how to get round the problem. I have my IE8 set to Compatibility View using Tools - Compatability View. When I have this set the scrolling using the RH edge of the touch pad works but when I switch off Compatabilty View it stops working. I've not yet found any site where the Compatablity View gives any problems.

I've just tried it with ASN and with CV off, it does not scroll, but as soon as I switch it on it works OK. No difference in the actual view of the site. I think you may need to set it to CV for each website.

Hope this helps.

Nope, did the above, and no joy. How ****** annoying! How do I go back to IE6? lol

Something else to try.

Go to Internet Tools - Manage Add-ons - Accelerators.

Delete each one of the listed accelerators.

Works on my laptop without the need to change the Compatibility View settings.

JoJo get rid of ie8.....its almost as bad as vista.Locked up my pc.Go to add remove in control panel and remove it, then put ie7 back on
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

I've been using IE8 since the last Beta version before release on both my desktop, my wife's desktop and my Sony laptop and it has always worked fine and has not given me any problems at all so it can't be all bad. I have also installed it on several other desktops and laptops for friends and they are not having problems either.

Last edited:
The things I would miss if I went back to IE6 are the tabbed browsing which I use a lot and the fitting an internet page to the paper if I print anything from the internet. I also have the tappbed browsing set so that it opens a new tab each time I go to another site rather than over-write the one I already have open. The number of times I've clicked on another site and lost the previous one in IE6....

Lucky you for no probs with ie8!Trouble with ie6 is that most web pages are now designed to run with 7 or above, which is why 6 can be real slow loading and not be fully featured.I personally dislike tabbed browsing, but have had to conform, and now use firefox.But hey, whatever suits

Absolutely crap! Deleted all the accelerator things, and still no joy lol, don't even know what they are for?! the odd thing is, whilst the scroll function doesn't work on webpages, it will work on the stupid pop up windows for all the tools and stuff relating to IE8, figure that one out!

I'm downgrading to IE7 for a try methinks, this is just ****!!

IE is ****, why not just use Firefox? It works :happy:

Reinstall your mouse/touchpad driver to see if this function returns before removing IE8, 1st thing I would of tried.

IE is ****, why not just use Firefox? It works :happy:

I only use firefox for security purposes, like browsing Facebook, or using ebay and banking etc, but I think I shall transfer my bookmarks over.

Reinstall your mouse/touchpad driver to see if this function returns before removing IE8, 1st thing I would of tried.

Can't be ***** with doing that, this lappy is on it's last legs, I don't even have a working CD/DVD drive on it anymore lol.

Lazy ****, takes 5 mins if that to reinstall driver.

I have a BNIB Toshiba A10 for sale if interested Joey.

One of the reasons I use IE8 is because it seems to work well in the Virtual PCs I have set up using VM Player on my desktop for doing some testing of spreadsheets using Excel 2000, 2003, 2007 and the beta of 2010. I did try Firefox in one of these but it didn't seem to want to work properly so I stuck with IE8. No doubt IE7 would work as well. Whilst the main partition on my desktop is still running XP (mainly because I still like it and know my way around it) I also have a partition running Windows 7 with IE8 and that seems to work fine as well. When I installed Windows 7 it found all the existing settings and network connections I use for IE8 with Windows XP and just installed them without me having to do anything.

Lazy ****, takes 5 mins if that to reinstall driver.

I have a BNIB Toshiba A10 for sale if interested Joey.

Lazy? maybe lol I just don't like the hassle when something doesn't work like it's suppose to, and maybe my tired laptop is showing signs of giving up the ghost haha. Thing is, it's not a bad machine and in quite high spec, and I only us it for surfing the web.

I've given up on IE8, and transferred all my bookmarks to firefox, as it seems to be running as I want it to.

Cheers for all the help.

Gone back to IE6, and the scroll function is back, but I can't read anything on ASN due to colour clash between background and text, can't win! lol

IE6 view :blink:
ASN.jpg

Last edited:
IE6 is so long in the tooth now, that it does not correctly parse the latest style CSS and DHTML. Vbulletin are working on improving things for IE6 users but it will always be bodges and work arounds and it will never look perfect.

Took ages to install IE7, tested it for 2 minutes before I headed to work, looks promising, I can see ASN, and the scroll function works! Yaye!! :yahoo:

OK, finally got home to test IE7 out, the scroll function, whilst it's working, it's not very smooth... guess it's doing the job, so I will leave it be, as I can view ASN normally now.

Perhaps you should just try downloading the correct driver for the touch pad first and see if that works.

I have both IE8 and Firefox loaded on my desktop and IE8 is faster than both IE7 and Firefox on my XP setup.

I have IE7 at home and it does the job just right for me, so not going to upgrade to IE8.

At work im on IE6, and its pants, as I cant see this site properly!!!