idle problem really annoying. s3 amk

karls s3

Reaction score
i have a idle problem and not sure what it can be it only dose it when car idleing at traffic lights or parked up.
the car runs better when i have fan on and it takes the revs a little higher

list of parts i have changed
coolant temp sensor
cleaned throttle body fitted new gasket
vacuum hoses
coil packs x4
plugs set x4

any help will be much aprichiated ..

dropping revs and shuddering, also i can hear a knock every so often from gear box area, and engine shacks alittle bit on idle when revs drop

will do cheers mate im going to get a fuel filter tomorrow just in case its starving of fuel as had cam belt changed a little while ago could this be any thing to do with it

Check all hoses for splits, check theyre all clamped up properly too.

i have changed alot of hoses and dont seem to be leaking is there any thing i can spray on the hoses to find a leak

funny you should say that if i press clutch down the knock noise goes . but it dont idle any better just the knock goes

I was about to say cambelt been changed recently, tensioner fitted correctly.

Had issues myself due to some numnuts not doing the belt etc properly.

I was about to say cambelt been changed recently, tensioner fitted correctly.

Had issues myself due to some numnuts not doing the belt etc properly.

it was done when i bought the car before i picked it up and can seem to remember if i had this problem ever since i got the car but its getting really annoying now though

Carb cleaner around hoses will show up a leak as the engine will pick up if the stuff gets in.

You can check for leaks with vagcom using fuel trims. There any codes popping up?

Carb cleaner around hoses will show up a leak as the engine will pick up if the stuff gets in.

You can check for leaks with vagcom using fuel trims. There any codes popping up?

ill have to get a can of spray and try around every hose see if the engine hunts..

right changed the fuel filter and cleaned the throttle body again and seem to be alot better but still on the odd occasion i get the slight idle judder but its alot better at the min also had car on ramp and on idle you can hear the transmition making a noise

Karl,

Have you reset the throttle body with Vagcom? It possibly needs adapting.

no mate i do have vag com but its not registered so wont let me do it can you do it with vcds if i download it off ross tech web site

a carry on from this still trying to sort it i have tryed another throttle body today and still no good, could it be the timing belt kit not fitted properly

I had a dodgy idle and changed the same parts as you plus the MAF and it's perfect now.

I had a dodgy idle and changed the same parts as you plus the MAF and it's perfect now.

thing is if i disconect the maf its still doing it. did you use to get the revs drop and a engine knock noise

Last edited:
Fitted some new Bosch plugs today and it's 98 percent better idle now every so slight dip that you really have to look at the needle to notice. So I think when the coil pack went it must have damaged the plugs some how.