Idle / lumpy

HP

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone can give me some quick advice on a car I might be looking to buy

Its from a trader who took it in p/ex.

Its a 1999 A4 1.8T auto with 108,000 miles FSH. They mention the cambelt has been changed but its not documented WHEN it was changed.

It also appears to have an idle problem, these are the sellers words:

"On tick over the car is a little lumpy, once you rev the car its fine! It also drives spot on and goes through the automatic box perfectly and kicks down perfectly. Just on tick over it’s a little lumpy, that’s it. This could be electrical but all electrics in the car work perfectly, windows etc….. or could be an air leak, I’m not a mechanic but I have driven the car and its lovely to drive it’s just the slightly lumpy once stationary…….doesn’t affect the drive or doesn’t stall…."

He said that they put it through the computer and gave an error for camshaft sensor (if i remember correctly) so they got a new one and replaced, but this didn't solve the problem.

I also remember back when I had my A3 the battery was dying so I had bad idle then - was fine once replaced. Could this be the case here?

Anyone know what this problem could be / how much to fix?

Much appreciated!

Last edited:
there is a hose which links up under the inlet manifold, very prone to idle issues, i changed mine and much nicer.
also try un plugging the maf as that might show that up as the fault, ie: no change in rough idle, its more than likely the maf.
best and fastest to get it plugged in though, stick a score in your pocket and go sweet talk a mechanic

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not mechanical at all :S

If it was the maf how much do you think this could cost to replace/fix?

I'm trying to decide whether or not to take a gamble on this car, as it is very nice just apart from this idle. Its also far away from me to go view.

mine was £55 from vw it was easy peasy to fit but i had a diagnostic to confirm it.
why not pay the AA to come along and do a fault reading with you ?

I'm with RAC and their 'essentials' vehicle inspection is £135, not sure if this even includes a diagnostic, and their 'plus' inspection is £183! I can't afford that right now, even though I know this could save money in the long run.

then look for mobile diagnostics local to the car. it might be cheaper than you think.
or maybe see if any members are nearby who have vagcom facilities ?