Idle engine without PCV to manifold hose

Birippu

Reaction score
Hi,

Long story short; I started the engine without re-attaching the breather hose between PCV and intake manifold and it took me a minute to realise. Did I blow all the seals on the engine? I only had it on idle. 2.0tfsi.

Last edited:
I don't see how this could happen. As long as you have a lambda sensor, the ECU will compensate for the extra air.

Thanks, I don't think any extra air was introduced to the cylinders but I'm afraid the lack of vacuum in the crank case damaged the seals. Maybe the rear pcv provided enough ventilation even tho I was only on idle.

Well, if you have a hole in the intake manifold it will get extra and unaccounted air. That''s on manifold side. On PCV side is no reason to bother. Lack of vacuum is normal if the PCV is broken - and that happens all the time - or if you take the oil cap out to check the vacuum - one way to tell if your PCV is working. So, I say your fine.

They run fairly rough with the oil cap off let alone a PCV pipe. So pretty normal if I'm right in assuming your a bit worried about how it sounded when you ran it with the pipe off. They are heavy breathers. Same with the Gen 3 EA888 engines too.