Idiots guide to music?

L_G

Reaction score
My current Car has an 8 year old iPod in glove box connected via the AMI.

If I have understood correctly this won't work with a 2018 car so the plan is to buy something like an iPhone 6 and use this instead (plus for other stuff). Can I just plug this in or do I need to download one of the two apps listed on the App Store?

Not sure about apple carplay but with android auto you just plug it in and download the android auto app, and all your other apps (spotify etc) are available through the MMI.

Needs to be plugged in to work, or you can stream via bluetooth but you won't get album art or playlists etc. I think the apple system is roughly the same.

Apple CarPlay , no need to download onto phone. I use Spotify , works just fine ... can also use Apple Music (standard music player). Z

I use spotify via my iphone and the lead that came with the car, but the display is horrid, if I were you (unless you are buying a new phone anyway) I'd just put your music on an SD card and use that for your music.

See what I mean:

Radio look OK:
Radio

As does music from the SD card:
Sd

Carplay look good also:
Carplay

But when you play music through spotify it looks :puke:
Spotify

It would have been far better if they had set it to display the album art 100% clear and just have the pause/ffw etc buttons smaller at the bottom.

Reactions: L_G
I use spotify via my iphone and the lead that came with the car, but the display is horrid, if I were you (unless you are buying a new phone anyway) I'd just put your music on an SD card and use that for your music.

See what I mean:

Radio look OK:
View attachment 141543

View attachment 141544

Carplay look good also:
View attachment 141545

View attachment 141546
It would have been far better if they had set it to display the album art 100% clear and just have the pause/ffw etc buttons smaller at the bottom.

Oh gosh, it's in the background! That looks terrible :(

Indeed it does, even if they did it so a twist of the control wheel flicked them around that would be better!

Can you play music through the car in a different way using an iPhone and Spotify. As in Bluetooth or through the MMI rather than carplay?

Can you play music through the car in a different way using an iPhone and Spotify. As in Bluetooth or through the MMI rather than carplay?
Not sure to be honest, I'll look later. I tend just to use the SD card or radio as a lot of my journeys are under 10 mins, so don't bother plugging the phone in.

See what I mean:

Radio look OK:
View attachment 141543

View attachment 141544

Carplay look good also:
View attachment 141545

View attachment 141546

Thanks for those!

What does the Audi MMi app do?

When you select carplay, it will play music via the lead as you're connected or you play via bluetooth however not sure if you get album art. MMI app just takes you back to the main MMI screen. Believe wireless carplay is due out soon.

Spotify looks much better on android auto tbh as you see the album art.