identifying variants

Disease26

Reaction score
hey all.
I will be looking at a few 2012 A1 Sports on the weekend and I wondered if there was any obvious visual cues in engine bay, compliance plate etc.. that I could check if the car is an actual sport model with the twincharged 1.4 and not just a base model. apart from checking the VIN info?

also part 2, in looking at all these models I have noticed a handful have the TFSI badge on the boot and some do not.. any reason why this is?
(just referring to petrol not diesel models)
thanks

actually may have just realised the answer to my question.. the Twincharged 1.4 is a TSI and not TFSI, correct?

The 185 only came as black edition & is stronic only they are all tfsi it could be something as simple as they have been debadged

Google A1 sport & black edition your seen the difference

This is the 185 twin charged http://carplace.uol.com.br/novo-aud...cv-chega-por-r-109-900/audi-a1-sport-2012-09/
it has potential issues with oil drinking and missfires

Sport trim only comes with the 1.6 tdi 1.4 122bhp & rare the 1.4 cod with 140bhp

Last edited:
no worries, I think my main confusion is that the Australian models seem to be a bit different to the UK..
makes local info harder to find.
I have seen a few cars listed as 185's but they don't have the s-line trim so they look almost identical to the lower spec model ('Ambition' in aus)
so I was suss whether these were actual 185's or the seller had listed them wrong..

I guess I will just have to grab the VIN when inspecting and look it up.

Ah didn't realise you were Australia a quick glance at the engine will tell I'm fairly sure that they are still stronic only