I wish I had ordered...

roadrunner

Reaction score
Now you've had your car from new for a while and have the benefit of hindsight are there any options that you wish you had added to your order.

For me it's Xenons (IMO standard bulbs are so awful they are unsafe) and the Storage pack (I need more space to hold maps and stuff).

Well as I'm now on my second A3 and had lived with the previous one for 3 years I was able to make a more informed choice on options than the first time round. My budget was also larger which obviously allowed me more flexibility. Obviously if I'd had a blank cheque then I'd have added a few more bits but we all work to a budget and, for the budget that was available, I don't regret any of the choices I made and would order the same again now.

I'm in the same position as Vertigo 1. The Sportback I have on order will be my second 8P A3 and I am basically ordering a very similar spec to my existing 3-door car. The Sportback was not available when I bought my current car and my elderly Mother (88) is finding it increasingly difficult to get in and out of back of my car and my wife hates sitting in the back. The only changes are my new one will have Bi-Xenon headlights and a Symphony rather than a Concert with a glovebox 6-CD unit. As both the current radios are double-DIN units there is no reason not to have the Symphony. I have also added the luxury of driver's electric seat adjustment. Other than these items the spec will be the same as my existing car.

The interior light pack.... i want my new ali GTI pedals illuminated in all their glory and you can never have too many red led's....:)

I really, really wish I had gone for the double din CD player, but I just did not see the point at the time. Knowing what I know now I could have had Satnav fitted for £500 instead now if I wanted it, it would be £1200

i didn't have a say in the matter as i bought the car 2nd hand but i wish i had the interior light pack in mine, i am thinking about retro fitting it one day when i can be bothered to do so.

I must admit that is the best thing about buying a brand new car - you can have exactly what specification and options you want, providing of course it's available from the manufacturer and you can afford it.

Agreed - but I doubt I will buy another new car again. It just does not live up to expectations

I might have considered the interior light pack, but to be honest it doesn't really bother me and I'm quite happy without it. I wouldn't bother with Xenons (I'm happy with the standard bulbs, and will fit +50% bulbs soon), and definately wouldn't bother with Bose (I'm amazed at how good the standard system is, certainly for the way I listen to music, far better than any other car I've driven). Doubt I'd order any other options to be honest :happy:

alanjonesbath said:
I'm happy with the standard bulbs, and will fit +50% bulbs soon

Dave R kindly gave me the link to power bulbs and for info I notice that philips now do a +80% bulb.

Well I had an A3 SE previously and it had, what is now the storage pack, as standard and I missed the fact that when I ordered my new sport that it was not included. Saw the luggage pack which I didn't want but glossed over the storage pack. And swear the new lights are worse than on my previous A3.

Beddie, my wife wouldn't like driving the car with loads of red LED's. Hmmm, will buy some tomorrow! :)

i think i must have made good choices the first time - as i basically ordered my second car identical in terms of options (it was like walkin into my local - same again please!) however i did change the engine (why not!), the colour (cos didnt want the car to look identical to last one) and the wheels (dont like new sport wheels) oh added ally inlays at last minute too. The shiny black ones are nice but they scratch sooo easily and show up every spec of dust

Well I definitely wouldn't go for the S-Line suspension again. The body styling looks good, but the ride is absolutely bone hard, and you feel every grain of sand on the road !

It will be SE or Sport for me next time.

i must admit the reason i didnt get an s-line wasn't the suspension it was because ur only choice of interior is black black blakc yuk so drk and drab - i like light interiors so i stuck with a sport and added sline wheels

steve184 said:
i must admit the reason i didnt get an s-line wasn't the suspension it was because ur only choice of interior is black black blakc yuk so drk and drab - i like light interiors so i stuck with a sport and added sline wheels

Yes, I agree.
Much prefer the light grey leather.

A few people have mentioned the interior light pack. I retro fitted the two red downlighters to the roof console in my A4 and the car has the cool red glow round the gear lever now. Only cost a tenner and was fitted within 15 mins to my A4.
:cool:

Regards the S-line suspension and interior comments, it's amazing how attitudes can differ. I think suspension depends hugely on what you're used to as I find it perfectly fine. Yes it's on the hard side but not unbearable. As for the black headlining, I'd read quite a few posts saying it made the cabin feel dark and a bit oppressive but I actually love it, if anything it makes it feel "cosier" :)

There is not very much I would do differently next time. The only thing I really kick myself for not getting is the parking distance control thingy. I would probably also get the multifunction steering wheel next time. I know it is not a very important feature and I am perfectly fine controlling radio/CD/Phone in the old fashioned way, but I believe a modern car should have the steering wheel controls as standard. It just adds to the luxury feel of a car.

Of course what I should really do different next time is get the 2.0 TFSI (with DSG, I do a lot of very busy traffic) instead of the normal 2.0 FSI I have now. If only it wasn't so ridiculously expensive here in Holland....

I'd have probably ticked the 'anti-rattle' option, the 'no oil leak' option and the 'no diasappearing coolant' option!

Shame they don't come as standard!

How you perceive suspension is always going to depend on what you had before. My previous car (Alfa 156 Veloce) was hard enough for me to actively avoid certain speedbumped roads in my area - much to the irritation of my TomTom satnav - but these roads are now a comparitively luxurious ride in the S-line :)

Xenons though, now that's worth considering, unless...
Where's the latest info on the +50% (or +80%) bulbs? Please PM me so as not to get this thread heading off topic.

synthdood said:
The only thing I really kick myself for not getting is the parking distance control thingy.
Can I ask why?

I must say I really don't get the parking sensors and tend to be of the opinion that if you need them then you can't park properly. Fair enough, they're a convenience and if you've got the money to throw around then by all means have them but they're hardly essential and I fail to see why you'd kick yourself for not adding them.

roadrunner said:
With thanks to h5djr the link is http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk

If you scroll down the H7 bulbs you will find both +50% and +80% alternatives.
Why ones would you go for?

EDIT: Scratch that, wasn't reading the page properly. Have ordered a pair of Osrams - can't say I've had any real problems with the standard bulbs but if I can have brighter ones for 20 quid, why the hell not? :)

Vertigo1 said:
Have ordered a pair of Osrams - can't say I've had any real problems with the standard bulbs but if I can have brighter ones for 20 quid, why the hell not? :)

Am not 100% sure but, from the site, I think you may need 2 pairs. One pair for high beam and one for low beam, though you could probably get away with just low beam. Depends on how much you use high beam and how much different brightness/whiteness bulbs might annoy you.

Maybe my eyesight is getting worse but I rate the standard bulb as crap and when I mention it to others who have Audis they are quick to agree. Don't get me wrong, I love the car but the headlights should be better.

Anyone got a voucher code for the site?

yeh i agree re: parking sensors - they are a good thing but they are not worth £260 or whatever they are - if they were £100 id get them but once you are used to a car and its outer dimensions you don't need them anyway they are only any use when the car is new and you are unfamiliar with it - if you still need them after having owned the car for 6 months then you really do need to take driving lessons again and spruce up on the parking!

Am not 100% sure but, from the site, I think you may need 2 pairs. One pair for high beam and one for low beam,

Yes you do need 2 pairs if you want to do both main and dip. The bulbs in each are the same - H7s.

I bought some Powerbulbs own brand bulbs and at the time they had a offer of buy one get one free. They are really good quality and I'd recommend them to anyone. I got a free pair of Phillips bluelight sidelight bulbs at the time too.

Seems though that offer is still on at the minute.

h5djr said:
Yes you do need 2 pairs if you want to do both main and dip. The bulbs in each are the same - H7s.
Ah right. Well as it's free delivery I think I'll wait and see what difference the two I've ordered make before getting another couple.

Sinny71 said:
I got a free pair of Phillips bluelight sidelight bulbs at the time too.

Seems though that offer is still on at the minute.

That offer is always on (not always Philips bulbs, sometimes Osram ones). And for a discount code, have a look in the back of Auto Express, they always have a code as part of the Powerbulbs advert (I'll dig out a code if anyone needs it).

Personally, I'll be buying one set of H7 +80% Philips bulbs for the dipped beam, and I'll be using a new set of Philips BlueVisions I had as spares for my last car for the main beam. Unless you use main beam a lot, its not really worth upgrading them as well, I'll only be doing it as I've got a set of bulbs spare, and want the +80% bulbs for the dipped beam :)

Just ordered some Power Plus bulbs.
Buy one get one free + free sidelight bulbs

Use the code [SIZE=-1]ZXRCX111 and get 10% discount too.
[/SIZE]