I thought that I would be happy with 0-60 in 4.3s......

Splathead

Reaction score
........but today I had a go in a Tesla Model S P85D with "Ludicrous" Mode.

0-60 in 2.8s!!!!!!!

Short of Rita at Alton Towers, I have never felt anything like it. It felt uncomfortable accelerating at that speed but also strangely addictive. Now I am craving more.

I know what you are going to say, bigger car, electric car, £100k, not comparable, etc, etc

I've not driven an RS3 yet so, my question for those already with RS3 is, the acceleration enough to keep you entertained or do you want for more?

£84,750 on the road for the base model P85D:
£55,650 for the 70Kw
£63,850for the wstandard 85Kw

Funnily enough .....

The first time I tried and experienced launch control in an RS3 I compared it to Rita at Alton Towers :)

I'm test driving a Tesla later in Aug (and also the i8, though that's not anywhere as quick) as I'm thinking after the RS3 it's defo electric time.

If the RS3 was ~450bhp it would be enough for me (and I'll likely be tuning to around there). I'm looking forward to experiencing the 2.8 seconds ludicrousness, but while I can see it would be a big thrill, I can't see it being a necessity for a daily car, not to mention doing too often will eat the tyres!

I'll report back once I've driven it (and potentially cancelled the RS3 in favour of one!!)

Hi,

I had the RS3 while mine was in for detialing, Was really fun but 4.3 didnt feel that quick in it.

That been said it was massivley addictive Spent £40 on fuel and covered around 45 miles

I saw a Tesla on the road for the first time a few weeks back. Based on its badges it was an 85kW 2-wheel drive version and I out-accelerated it in my S5. However that's not the purpose of my post. Having seen it I decided to look into the Teslas and as has been noted they are rather expensive, but even worse is the problem of recharging. There are very few supercharges in the UK, so currently Tesla owners would need to either find industrial power outlets or rely on a dedicated box at home. IIRC even with a 32A outlet (which is a full third of the capacity of most UK home incomers) it would take a long time to recharge. You can pay to have a second charger in the car, but then you have the problem that with 64A being taken from your incomer, there a risk of tripping if you have an electric oven cooking the dinner along with all the other loads in the house. And that's still less than 15kWh for your 85kW batteries....

I saw a Tesla on the road for the first time a few weeks back. Based on its badges it was an 85kW 2-wheel drive version and I out-accelerated it in my S5. However that's not the purpose of my post. Having seen it I decided to look into the Teslas and as has been noted they are rather expensive, but even worse is the problem of recharging. There are very few supercharges in the UK, so currently Tesla owners would need to either find industrial power outlets or rely on a dedicated box at home. IIRC even with a 32A outlet (which is a full third of the capacity of most UK home incomers) it would take a long time to recharge. You can pay to have a second charger in the car, but then you have the problem that with 64A being taken from your incomer, there a risk of tripping if you have an electric oven cooking the dinner along with all the other loads in the house. And that's still less than 15kWh for your 85kW batteries....

I initially thought this, but...
A modest home consumer unit will charge the car in ~8 hours. So overnight no problem.

And then with a range of ~300 miles you'd be hard pushed to find a route that doesn't take you via a SuperCHarger for a 40 min/80% top up to coincide with a break from driving.

The rs3 feels quick but it's not my definition of fast.
Whilst 0-60 figures get more and more impressive as cars develop, in reality the difference between a 4s car and a 5s car is negligible. Plus there comes a point where more power isn't the answer.
Couple the rs3 marginally impressive power figure to the seamless gear changes and it feels even less exciting.
Get a map however and watch that torque figure sky rocket and it will probably feel very impressive. But, outright acceleration isn't the sole reason we like fast audis is it.

Reactions: rs3_lloyd and T-800