I think my oil cooler has gone.

Adam power

Reaction score
hi all trying to get some input as I'm totally baffled on this. Went to do a long journey with the fam last week so I thought I'd do the right thing and check all the fluid levels etc. NOW came to check the coolant levels and found a tank full of oil. Using my wealth of knowledge which is pretty much zero I checked the dip stick and inside the oil cap (finger sweep) to see if it was the dreaded head gasket, all seemed fine. Unpacked and took the Mrs car to be on the safe side. The only thing I could think it was the oil cooler. Had a mobile mech have a quick look and he took a few pipes off and showed me oil in the water. Said I needed a new cooler, new rad, new expansion tank and maybe new pipes. Is it me or this this a bit extrem?

Participate your input and if any mechs out there that are local to Walsall let me know

Cheers
Adam

If it is just the cooler ,replace it and flush everything else out with the hose pipe,back flush the rad using bottom hose.

Yup its the cooler i had the same issue on a previous golf.

Just replace it and try and get a decent flush out of the system. I wouldnt say it would be necessary to replace all parts.

But thats up to you.