I think it's time for a change .

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well guys , i've been having a long and hard think on my whole audi A4 B7 experience , why and where it should progress onto.
When i started out on this voyage into audi onwership i did to a large degree overlook the possibility of known mechanical issues etc with them, I believed that the audi i choose would be all singing all dancing without any problems etc, sadly i was a tad blinkered i'm afraid as it was far from the truth , well for me that is.
Now don't get me wrong, audi are great cars and a lot of owners have a trouble free ownership etc , but many don't myself included.
So then, where does this leave me and being an audi owner, well in two minds really, do i stick with it or part company with it and audi and move onto something else that isnt owned by VW, well thats a diffiucult one to answer to be honest as VW/AUDI do make some great cars.

If i consider all the issues and problems i've encountered and endured over the last 9 months with my so called " perfect purchase" i think its time to move on.
I dont really want to part company with it now as it does appear to be running well, but , i have just lost all interest in it, i had a lot of plans for it etc but i feel its become an accident waiting to happen now and what will be next and not worth spending time or money on it anymore.

I have even discussed it with the wife which is a first for me as far as cars go, so its with regret my a4 avant is now destined for the used car market once again, i'm not in any rush to be honest as i'd like to find something else first .
I'm not really sure what i will be looking for , but i do have a couple of ideas buzzing around my grey cells.
Anyways, i'm here until it goes , and may even still be here when i find its replacement.

its been great guys being on here.
rob

Sorry to hear the experience has gone wrong for you, Rob. No one can say you didn't persevere.

Been good having you around, hope you buy a reason to stick around.

(Guess you won't be wanting those RS4 reps now, huh?)

I understand your position Rob, having interest and the confidence in the car during ownership is key to a positive experience, enjoyment and getting the best out of it through modification, tuning etc.

I think your car has certainly challenged those factors and if you can take anything positive, it was a good job the dealers did I the right thing and carried out those big repairs under warranty. So, it would be imagined that the major issues, going forward, have been covered, but sadly, if there's doubt in the equation then it's not going to be a fulfilling ownership experience.

I think about some of the motors I have previously had, that ended up with near interstellar mileages, that just kept on going with just an annual oil charge and tyres, didn't ever sow seeds of doubt in my mind about what's around the corner as my A4 does !! So as I said, I do understand your standpoint !!

Will be interested to hear what ever becomes the eventual replacement..... For my part, I'm sticking with mine for the foreseeable future, but I'm going to pop 'next door' to the B8 forum and do some research to see if the common issues were ironed out in the newer model, not that the overall styling and look appeal as much, but it might be a compromise I'd be willing to accept !

Well best of luck Rob, keep us upto date with the new motor and hope that it's worthy of the future mods to be bestowed upon it.

Cheers, Gary :icon thumright:

thanks guys, its a really hard choice to be honest as i really do like the car, my sensible hat says part company, whereas the other says keep it and make the most of it.
at this point i think i'll just sit on the fence for a bit with it and see how things pan out, and keep an eye on what else is out there.
Its booked in again later this month to sort out the strange noise so may wait and see what that throws up:(.

Had another look at a friends RS4 today, and its fab:cool::icon thumright: and a good price for such a lovely example, errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr its starting again:eek:, i used to be undecided but now i'm just not sure.:think:

rob

I recently parted company with my b7 avant s line 170 Quattro ........ pampered it in the 18 months ownership but still it would cause me heartache.... I didn't stay with the 4 rings of death or any vag and ive had a few aswell as Fords which I do like my Fords and they are my proper passion so some of the haters may say imagine trading for a Ford well im not that way with badge snobbery, Traded in the pain in my *** for a new pre-registered Focus zetec s diesel and love it, much cheaper road tax, far far better on diesel. I still see a B7 avant and think yeah stunning car but then think yeah bet it runs like a pile of cack aswell lol.

Wish you well in your choice for your new wheels bud.

done the whole merc thing , had a 2007 E320 deisel estate , did 20k and the turbo blowup wasnt impressed and it had to have a new turbo at 22k.
needless to say not going that way again.
Anyway, if my a4 had not been such a problematic purchase then i would'nt have to moan about it, I mean, when you buy what is suposed to be a " problem free car " audi's wording, and it then spends more time at the dealers than with me, what else can one do other than be dispondant and issed off with things.

Last edited:
my audi is the muts nuts makes me smile every time I drive it but that's my opinion

its not driving it thats is the problem and yes i love the way it drives and looks, when its not in the garage being repaired it goes like stink etc, and thats my point, " when its not in garage being repaired" which seems to be way to often based on its low milage and history.
I'm sure if you were in a similar position as i have been you'd see my point.

I think we all see your point but remember others have had similar and have had to pay for it out their own pockets, Audi has been ok with you.

I thought you were a Ducati man anyway, you should be used to passion and grief that comes with these things. If you've lost the love for it sell it while it's still going decent and move onto something else or if you haven't, man up and keep it.

Reactions: DieselJake