I take it I need a thermostat fitted.

Jason-Con

Reaction score
Ello all, Ive had my A4 now for 4 days now. When i took it for the second testdrive i wanted to makesure the temp went up to 90, as it should. Well it did then went down a bit so i thought it was ok. Well i noticed just now it does not seem to go past 70. Does that mean the stat is stuck on open and will need changing?
#

most probably, mine does the same but a code read says temp guage short to earth on mine, so out will come the dash pod for a closer inspection. what engine is yours?

as far as i know the thermostat is on the back of the engine(windscreen side) so not a massive job you should be able to diy it if your upto it, mines a 2.5v6 so im not to familiar with this engine, but someone with that engine should be along soon to tell you where it is. good luck and all will be well in the audi world soon

Sorry guys, any ider what to pay for this. I have a audi garrage across the road from where i work so in theory i could pop it in there but i dont want to pay over the odds to get it done as i know its a simple job to i could just get my mechanic to do it. Choices!!!!

I had the same problem with my car - 1.9tdi

I paid £138 at Leicester Audi - covered for 2 years

- new thermostat
- new coolant
- labour (1 hour)

Lion Garage quoted £90 but they were fully booked. Covered for 1 year.

The thermostat was £16 inc the seal plus £14 for the coolant. I was going to do it myself but I broke my wrist.

I changed mine the other week (130TDI FWD)

Parts were about £26 from Audi for thermostat, 'o' ring and 1.5 litres of coolant.

Easy job to do yourself if you have a decent set of allen keys (5mm I think)

Thermostat is on the right side of engine (passenger side) behind the back of the alternator. Take engine cover off, disconnect battery and remove positive to alternator (gives you more room to work if needed). Then unclip the water pipe from the bottom of the thermostat housing. Undo 2 allen bolts on housing and remove it and thermostat. Replace 'o' ring and thermostat then put the housing back on.
Refit water pipe and alternator positive wire, reconnect battery, top up with coolant and you're good to go. Let it warm up, topping coolant up as necessary and check for leaks.

Should take you no longer than half hour.

Sorted my cool running out and increased my mpg too :) I also this time of year leave the climate off until the temp reaches 90 as this help it warm up quicker and increases mpg.

I think I need to get this done but have a 2.5 TDI V6 Quattro, is it an easy job aswell or a nightmare?

I changed mine the other week (130TDI FWD)

Parts were about £26 from Audi for thermostat, 'o' ring and 1.5 litres of coolant.

Easy job to do yourself if you have a decent set of allen keys (5mm I think)

Thermostat is on the right side of engine (passenger side) behind the back of the alternator. Take engine cover off, disconnect battery and remove positive to alternator (gives you more room to work if needed). Then unclip the water pipe from the bottom of the thermostat housing. Undo 2 allen bolts on housing and remove it and thermostat. Replace 'o' ring and thermostat then put the housing back on.
Refit water pipe and alternator positive wire, reconnect battery, top up with coolant and you're good to go. Let it warm up, topping coolant up as necessary and check for leaks.

Should take you no longer than half hour.

Sorted my cool running out and increased my mpg too :) I also this time of year leave the climate off until the temp reaches 90 as this help it warm up quicker and increases mpg.

Straight forward to replace.

When we replaced the thermostat on my uncles 1.8 t - it took around 2hrs. The alternator, brackets etc had to come off. The thermostat on the 1.8t did look different to the 1.9tdi.

If I did not break my wrist then I would have replaced it my self and saved myself £100 on labour :(

2.5 TDI V6 I CAN CONFIRM IS A NIGHTMARE OF A JOB, BRACE YOURSELF !!

THE THERMOSTAT IS LOCATED ON THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE (FRONT BUMPER SIDE) BEHIND THE CAMBELT !

SO IN BRIEF TO CHANGE IT THE FRONT END OF THE CAR IS REMOVED (BUMPER,LIGHTS,COOLANT DRAINED,ALL SORTS OF GIZMOS ARE DISCONNECTED,ALL BELTS REMOVED INCLUDING CAM BELT) ONLY THEN IS IT CHANGEABLE, AND BECAUSE OF THE LABOUR INVOLVED IN ALL THIS IT IS RECOMENDED THAT YOU CHANGE THE WATER PUMP,THERMOSTAT, CAMBELT AND ALL TENSIONERS ETC AT THE SAME TIME.

I KNOW THIS TO WELL AS MINE IS NEEDING THE SAME ALL IN SHOULD BE LOOKING AT £400 -£500.

IF YOUR CAMBELT IS DUE OR NEEDED SOON BETTER TO WAIT TILL THEN