I switched my CECM and now the Lights don’t work

HarveW

Reaction score
Cut a long story short. I installed Bi xenon headlights to the car. My CECM was not compatible for xenons.
I changed the CECM to the correct model for my car that allowed Bi xenons.
The Xenons work (except DRL, open circuit fault)

But now my rear tail lights do not work.
The break lights work and indicators.

I copied my CECM unique code and copied it to the new one. So essentially it’s the old CECM.

Does anyone know what is causing the rear tail light now to no longer work? Any information or help with appreciated

My old CECM
8P0 907 063

New CECM
8P0 907 063 A

Have you coded the new module to suit the spec of your car?

Reactions: HarveW
Have you coded the new module to suit the spec of your car?
Hi mate
So it was a friend who done the coding, but he copied the old module unique code and pasted it into the new one. Starting to think the cables are at the wrong pins for the new module. If it’s saying open circuit that must mean there is no connection/continuity

But what exactly do you mean coded to correct spec. Where would I find this information

Cheers

Attachments

• ECA482B5-4148-4E4E-80F5-5DB55C073FD5.png
    ECA482B5-4148-4E4E-80F5-5DB55C073FD5.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 86
  • ED7F8AFC-5EC8-413B-B051-F434A19E84C1.png
    ED7F8AFC-5EC8-413B-B051-F434A19E84C1.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 92
I'm not sure for your specific module, but simply copying the coding might not be correct if the new module has different coding options

The first thing that comes to.mind with your headlight faults is that at a minimum the new module should be coded for the new xenon headlights

As for the rest, it is probably a case of looking at it byte by byte and making sure everything matches up to what your car is fitted with

I'm not sure for your specific module, but simply copying the coding might not be correct if the new module has different coding options

The first thing that comes to.mind with your headlight faults is that at a minimum the new module should be coded for the new xenon headlights

As for the rest, it is probably a case of looking at it byte by byte and making sure everything matches up to what your car is fitted with

Little update. The car is dead....at the moment :/ Basically it starts up and then cuts out straight away. its been fine since I changed the cecm, but I fear the change is what might be causing the problem. Looking into it. Looks like it could be due to the key not being coded to the new CECM. Which I can't understand why it would start to only now recognise the fault after a week of changing the cecm and driving. The key does not work wireless (ever since I changed cecm, due to it not being coded), I was having to manualy lock the car from the door with key.

The new module is coded for the xenons, as the dipped and main beam work. (They did not work on my old cecm as it was not compatible to have xenons).
I will have to take another look in VCDS

Sounds like an issue with the immobiliser, does it say SAFE on the instrument cluster when that happens?

As for the key, I was sent this in the past but haven't tried it

1. Adaption channel 00 (clear the old remotes). Enter 0 then test and save.
2. Adaption channel 01 (adapt remotes). Enter the number of remotes/keys then test and save.
3. Ignition off and press a button on each remote you’ll know it’s done when the indicators blink.

Sounds like an issue with the immobiliser, does it say SAFE on the instrument cluster when that happens?

2. Adaption channel 01 (adapt remotes). Enter the number of remotes/keys then test and save.
3. Ignition off and press a button on each remote you’ll know it’s done when the indicators blink.
Cheers mate I will give this a try. Although no “SAFE” sign is coming up on the dash which makes me think maybe it’s not the immobiliser. We will see

Best thing i recommend is if ur doing a retrofit is use the sites fitters who have heaps of experience. Try @NHN , will cost but will be done right

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Best thing i recommend is if ur doing a retrofit is use the sites fitters who have heaps of experience. Try @NHN , will cost but will be done right

Forums are here to share information for the benefit of all, not as a place for businesses to market their services. This is not a comment aimed towards any company by the way, as I have seen loads of excellent info from NHN, but since the OP is wanting to retrofit themselves, we should help if possible

Cheers mate but I would rather try myself. If they can do it, then there is no reason why I can’t, even if I have to learn the hard way. It’s all new experience to me but I’ve learnt so much in the last few months. I’ve made a lot of progress on my car this year at the cost of my hours, but I have enjoyed it. Well when things go my way ;p I’m an electrician but I have really been enjoying working on my car, to the point where I’m considering looking for a job in a garage for weekends to learn even more.

But for the headlights I have a new cable turning up so I can start looking at the faults myself on VCDS. And see why the rear tail lights and DRLs are not working

I found out why the car was dead and it was a big school boy error, and I don’t feel like sharing why as it’s that embarrassing

Haha, did you get the key fob programmed though?
I haven’t done yet mate, been busy this weekend. And my VCDS cable soon comes, and it will be a first time ever coding. And the reason my car wasn’t starting was fuel related if you will..... :/

Your tail lights will be on the same circuit as your DRL's (old sidelights)

So i would imagine you need your DRL's to work to bring your tail-lights on, possibly a wiring issue

Your tail lights will be on the same circuit as your DRL's (old sidelights)

So i would imagine you need your DRL's to work to bring your tail-lights on, possibly a wiring issue
Hi, my DRL switch has never brought the rear tail lights on before on my model. I followed this wiring. The pictures are for my exact CECM. I’m getting live feeds to the DRLs as well

Attachments

• 7285C316-32DF-4134-97B9-6F035211A30C.png
    7285C316-32DF-4134-97B9-6F035211A30C.png
    410 KB · Views: 64
  • F4C10C54-6780-4CFB-8568-62C546BE1DE6.png
    F4C10C54-6780-4CFB-8568-62C546BE1DE6.png
    397.1 KB · Views: 54