I-pod conversion: Audi or Halfords

Ironhide

Reaction score
Audi are offering me an I-pod conversion for £200. Would I be able to get it cheaper elsewhere? Halfords springs to mind but would it be of the same quality?

Has anyone had this done and can make a recommendation?

hello mate, ive got a harman kardon ipod adapter in mine which was already in the car when i got it.
they sell them for £80 at halfords. i mite be pursuaded to part with mine as i dont use it.

You can buy the dension ipod kit for around the £80 mark which allows you to control the ipod from the head unit.

I had the Audi Ipod connector fitted a couple of months ago. The sound quality through my Bose system is fantastic. The lead exits into the glove compartment so everything is nice and discrete. it cost more than you have been quoted so if you have the money I would go for it...

Can i plug my ipod into my standard s3 head unit ??

Not without an ipod kit like Dension, Connects2, HarmanKardon or the audi one (which is a rebadged one of the above I can't remember which).

You can skip tracks on the ipod using the forwards and backwards buttons on the HU. Also it will allow you to select the first 5 playlists on the ipod using the buttons 1 - 5 on the HU. The 6th button iirc plays all tracks. It connects to the CD changer port on the HU so depending on which one you get you either lose the cd changer or you need to buy another adapter to keep it.

I live in Letchworth and the offer has come through from Hitchin Audi.
My instinct is to get Audi to do it simply because I want to get it done properly. Going on what sitrials commented below, not sure I want to trust my electricals to just anybody.

Also, contrary to what is said elsewhere in this thread, you don't lose access to your cd changer. I can play cds or my ipod if I choose. To access the cd changer, I press the cd button once, to access the ipod, I press it twice. It's that simple.

I have a Dension one and fitted it myself, it was a piece of ****. If you want to spend £200 I'll fit it for you. It really is simple and you don't need Audi to do it.

Just another option. The best solution ive got by far is the Alpine x001 installed.. SUPER FAST all the time with 40GB of music, full track name and song info and even album artwork and red matches perfectly on the dash... Ive even got the bluetooth mic installed for mobile and it's perfect.. Amazing bit ok kit :)

Audi are offering me an I-pod conversion for £200. Would I be able to get it cheaper elsewhere? Halfords springs to mind but would it be of the same quality?

Has anyone had this done and can make a recommendation?

Dont even bother with the Audi one as its **** as may have advised on the forum, unreal basic, uses 6 playlists as replacement for your 6 cd changer port etc, dension is by far the best option for factory head unit as per many say on here & Navplus.us

As for £200, thats way over the top for that unit aswell, ebay.de is far cheaper & you could easily fit it, even kufatec are cheaper & would tell you how to install it.

Also, contrary to what is said elsewhere in this thread, you don't lose access to your cd changer. I can play cds or my ipod if I choose. To access the cd changer, I press the cd button once, to access the ipod, I press it twice. It's that simple.

The original Dension kit replaced the CD changer, as that was the one I had in my A3. The newer replacements now have the option to keep the changer. I can't comment on the other makes as I have no experience of them. I guess it depends on which make and model of interface you have.

Well this is only true if your car has the internal 6 CD changer, what is meant by lose the CD changer is you lose the external CD changer by replacing it with Ipod.

But you can buy the Dension CD changer retension kit to switch between external CD changer and External Ipod interfaces.

The Dension gateway 400 also allows you to keep the external CD changer and add Ipod.